PDA

View Full Version : So proud of myself for fixing my sewing machine.

Monique
November 19th, 2011, 07:52 PM
It actually took me 45 minutes to figure out what the darn problem was. I had removed the throat plate to take the fuzz from the feed dogs. Somehow, unbeknownst to me, the bobbin case thingy was out of place. Not sure how I figured that one out but it is now fixed and working just dandy.

I have this problem, when something does not go right I have to figure out why. It makes me crazy when this happens.

Problems solved for today.

Luvngrammy
November 19th, 2011, 08:12 PM
My hubby had to take mine all apart the other day as well. I have been making rag quilts and was cleaning out the fuzz..the entire bobbin case was a mess. Cleaned worked well then all of a sudden it locked up on me. Like the entire thing locked up! Grr ..glad he likes to fiddle. He took it all apart and sprayed with WD-40 now it is humming like normal.
I love those rag quilts but they do in my machine.
Linda

MaryB
November 19th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Oh, well done both of you. The first time I tried FMQ I got a huge bird's nest underneath, didn't know it was happening and reefed the shuttle right off its spindle. The machine was new at the time too. Major visit to machine doctor so I can appreciate how relieved you must have been to be up and running again without major dramas.

Loonwatcher
November 19th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Good job Monique. Oooo...that reminds me, I took mine apart last night to clan the fuzz under the feed dogs. I'm going to have to finish up and get it back together if I'm going to spend tomorrow sewing.

Gayle8675309
November 19th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Good job! I'm so bad at mechanical things...I had to have my husband read the instructions on the sewing machine and teach me how to thread it and wind the bobbin! It also took forever to figure out how to put my walking foot on. LOL. :)

Sandy Navas
November 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I really think we should start a thread where we show all the gunk we remove from our bobbin cases - we could maybe get Jenny and the girls to reward the largest yearly collections . . .

Bubby
November 19th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Sandy, you're tooooo much! It's not a bad idea and I think I might win this one!!! With all the rag quilts I make I generate mountains of lint and I'm constantly defuzzing my machines. Sandy, will we give a crown for this??? :)

BellasQuilts
November 19th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Way to go Monique!!

InGodzHndz
November 20th, 2011, 12:42 AM
It actually took me 45 minutes to figure out what the darn problem was. I had removed the throat plate to take the fuzz from the feed dogs. Somehow, unbeknownst to me, the bobbin case thingy was out of place. Not sure how I figured that one out but it is now fixed and working just dandy.

I have this problem, when something does not go right I have to figure out why. It makes me crazy when this happens.

I'm the same way...have to figure out what the problem is. I did the same thing to my machine a few weeks ago (and earlier today). I had taken the plate off, cleaned it out, put the plate back on, sew for about 15 seconds and then BAM! It locked up and gave me a huge mess. I figured out that when I replaced the plate and screwed it back on, that it hit the bobbin casing a bit.
Gots ta be carefull with those little dealies.

It was kind of embarressing to have that happen today...I had a couple friends from work over, and I was showing them how to do Jenny's apron tutorial when my machine flipped out on me. OOOPS!

Monique
November 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM
There was a thread on this forum not too long ago about lint around the feed dogs. I never knew this, so that is where my story started. I don't think either of my machines had ever been cleaned out. So thanks to whomever posted that thread.

Sandy love your idea.

a1angiem
November 20th, 2011, 09:44 PM
There was a thread on this forum not too long ago about lint around the feed dogs. I never knew this, so that is where my story started. I don't think either of my machines had ever been cleaned out. So thanks to whomever posted that thread.

Sandy love your idea.
that may have just been me, monique! sorry about making you mess up your machine but glad you got it fixed...and clean! i guess it's important to do and once you get over the first time, it's not so bad.

Monique
November 20th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Don't be sorry Angie, I did not know this or had never even thought about it. So thanks to you for making me clean my machine.

Nena
November 24th, 2011, 01:50 AM
You have just inspired me to go and vacuum out my machine under the feed dogs. I can't even remember the last time that I did that. I am guilty of machine neglect. I have to admit that I am pretty good about changing my needles often---but the cleaning---well, guilty is all I can say

rebeccas-sewing
November 24th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Someone on here mentioned a thingy you can get to suck out the lint. Does anyone remember anything about it? Is it something that attaches to a regular vacuum cleaner? I always feel like I'm probably pushing stuff down into the machine when I'm using the sewing machine brush.

Sandy Navas
November 24th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Someone on here mentioned a thingy you can get to suck out the lint. Does anyone remember anything about it? Is it something that attaches to a regular vacuum cleaner? I always feel like I'm probably pushing stuff down into the machine when I'm using the sewing machine brush.

It was me!! I'll confess. My Viking dealer sold me an attachment that fits on the end of the hose for my regular vacuum cleaner. It reduces the size of the hose down to a small nozzle that will fit into the openings in the machine and it sucks all that gunk out. I bought it primarily for my serger, but it works on other machines, too. I still the the paint brush out whenever I change bobbins though.

oldgurl4
November 24th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Wayyy to Go MONIQUE!!

I guess all those Totes are teaching you MORE than you Knew!

KUDOS!