PDA

View Full Version : I struggle to make myself do housework!

Gayle8675309
November 19th, 2011, 03:14 PM
All I want to do is sew (quilt). All I want to do is either sit in my quilting room or sit on the computer watching YouTube videos on quilting or reading the boards here.

My housework is suffering!!

Thankfully my DH couldn't care less what the house looks like. I do try to cook a decent meal every couple of days...then we eat the leftovers the days in between.

It's just me and my DH now. But our 21 year old daughter (a senior in college...6 hours away) is coming home in May...she already landed a good job, so she is planning to live at home for about 2 years to pay off her $24,000 in student loans. I'm so excited to have her home again after four years gone. (she even went to India for the entire summer on a volunteering adventure with a non-profit agency).

Anyway, as I said, I'm so excited to have her home...but I'm REALLY excited because she LOVES to cook!! She absolutely LOVES it! She is a vegetarian, but man she cooks some tasty vegitarian dishes. Plus she cleans too...she worked for three years as a maid in bed and breakfasts, and now she cleans better than me!

So...I'm a bad mama with ulterior motives...I'm so looking forward to having her here. More time for sewing!!! :)

Teresa Mae
November 19th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I am struggling right now to do "housework" also, would rather just sew. Must get ready for a houseful of Thanksgiving guests. Just finished my latest project. It will be a Christmas present for my sister and hubby. Must get to the dusting and dirty bathrooms. Hang in there!

KiltedQuilter
November 19th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Gayle is that not what children are for?(when old enough obviously!) :D

Monique
November 19th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Gayle, you will enjoy having your daughter close again even if she COOKS AND CLEANS!!!!

Mimis-quilts
November 19th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Don't feel bad Gayle...I'm right there with you! Is it bad that the only time I get mostivated to clean is if one of the kids and theirs family decides to visit for the weekend? Or when I just can't take it anymore?!? I hate to clean house...! And my hubby doesn't say a word about it either...so 2 slobs living together...love it! teehee!

Gayle8675309
November 19th, 2011, 08:22 PM
LOL...you girl's are right...kids are supposed to take care of us in our old age! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thank God for industrious kids and forgiving husbands. :)

Nobody ever said on their deathbed, "I wish I would have kept a cleaner house."

Sandy Navas
November 19th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Why do I feel that Gayle is running around in my shoes?

SuziC
November 19th, 2011, 08:44 PM
WOW are you luck she is coming home!!!!! Someone to cook AND clean...that is awsome! Just this afternoon i had to choose the laundry, the floors and dinner. Well i have 4 projects going in the sewing room and that's where i spent my day. DH came home from hunting and made soup and sandwiches. Love that guy, he is SO understanding. There is always tomorrow for cleaning!~ LOL

Mimis-quilts
November 19th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Can I get an AMEN!!!!!!!!

Thank God for industrious kids and forgiving husbands. :)

Nobody ever said on their deathbed, "I wish I would have kept a cleaner house."

Sewbee
November 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM
This is the plaque I keep in my kitchen.....doesn't matter what day anyone stops by.....I SWEAR the house was clean YESTERDAY!!! :lol:

Gayle8675309
November 19th, 2011, 10:56 PM
LOL...love that one Sewbee! :)

Nena
November 20th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I love that sign, I should have one in my house also. I started to quilt about 3 years ago----my house has suffered ever since. I did not even do any gardening this year----I just want to sew and sew some more. I could care less if there is dust bunnies all around. When my kids come home for the holidays or when my inlaws come in---we do major house cleaning duty around here. Until then----oh well, it can all wait!!

a1angiem
November 20th, 2011, 09:40 PM
This is the plaque I keep in my kitchen.....doesn't matter what day anyone stops by.....I SWEAR the house was clean YESTERDAY!!! :lol:

I love it! that's funny...i always say 'come over on monday afternoon if you want to see a clean house...all other days you just get what you get!'

cyndiofthevortex
November 20th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I have a want ad in my kitchen: HELP WANTED (See Mom)
I also have on my fridge: Make yourself at home. Clean my kitchen.
I just said to my DH last night, I'm so glad neither one of us cares about how the house looks unless we have company coming over. And then it depends on the company.

It's SO NICE to read all these posts and know I'm not alone!

Cyndi

janluna
November 21st, 2011, 12:26 AM
I have a plaque that says. "you may look at the dust, BUT, you may not write in it!" Thems my rules and I'm sticking to them!!! LOL Hugs, Jan L.

BellasQuilts
November 21st, 2011, 12:49 AM
When I clean my house, no one comes over. When it looks like a tornado came through everyone shows up. So, clean and lonely or messy and happy? I choose the latter.

stitching woman
November 21st, 2011, 01:19 AM
I agree let my house be a mess and I will have more company than I can shake a stick at. Clean it and no one comes. Why is that?

CherylR
November 21st, 2011, 02:24 AM
Gayle, I have a hard time doing the housework also. But I set an alarm for 4pm and stop what ever I am doing that day, sewing or just goofing off and at least pick up the apartment. DH doesn't complain but I feel a little guilty if the place is a mess when he gets home from a long day at work. It's not like it's the large home in Mississippi that DS is living in right now. Of course, I spend about 3 weeks twice a year at home cleaning that place up. DS does an ok job, just not llike Mom does.

Blondie
November 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM
Gayle, you sweet darling piece of my heart! You are in such wonderful company here. I had a fetish for years in housekeeping but since I consider anything with fetish attached to it a disease, I got over it about 5 years ago. Now and then I get on a real cleaning binge but give up after the initial urge. Now all I do is a lick and promise to never become obsessed again.
When my folks first started in with their health issues, I neglected my own house to the point that just this morning I thought seriously of starting a fire and starting from scratch again.
And btw, my dear Luscious Larry never says a word about the state of the house. After all, he knows where the cleaning stuff is too!

luci4
November 21st, 2011, 11:34 PM
Just the way I feel about doing my housework. Need to do it one of these days.