PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Night Owl

Neller
February 6th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Hello all!

Finally, finally, finally, my DH is coming home tonight! He's been gone for a little over a week on a golf and poker-playing trip with his buddies. This used to be just a long weekend thing but it has gradually been getting longer and this was the longest yet. I used to enjoy my alone time while he was gone, but now my 91 year old father lives with us and I am almost NEVER alone. Having an elderly parent with you is like having another child again and I did love my empty nest. So I am glad Michael is going to be home.

I didn't sew the last two days. Did a little knitting and a little reading and a little napping. Other than that, not much to report. I hope all you other hoot owls are having a good weekend!

I'm looking forward to the Super Bowl tomorrow, even though the Seahawks aren't in it. Go Denver!

Simply Quilting
February 7th, 2016, 12:07 AM
We went to the college basketball games this afternoon. It was nail biting to the very end. The boys game literally was down to 0.9 of a second. We were ahead by two points but the other time had the ball at their end of the court next to the basket with a player who from no matter where he shot, he had not missed one all night. Both our team won but it was a hold your breath to the end and every point counts. Came home and spend the evening working on sorting out papers - I think they must decide to multiply while they are in the basement. Other than that, we've just had a quiet night at home.

Have a great evening everyone :)

Neller
February 7th, 2016, 12:24 AM
We went to the college basketball games this afternoon. It was nail biting to the very end. The boys game literally was down to 0.9 of a second. We were ahead by two points but the other time had the ball at their end of the court next to the basket with a player who from no matter where he shot, he had not missed one all night. Both our team won but it was a hold your breath to the end and every point counts. Came home and spend the evening working on sorting out papers - I think they must decide to multiply while they are in the basement. Other than that, we've just had a quiet night at home.

Have a great evening everyone :)

I know what you mean about papers multiplying! I have the same problem. I need shredders in every room!

toggpine
February 7th, 2016, 02:42 AM
We went to check out the new grocery store. It is kind of like a deli, farmers market, coffee shop, health food shop all rolled into one. It probably won't be somewhere we shop frequently, but it is going to fit in pretty well with the demographic..

While out and about, we also stopped to price wood and Trex for Eric's newest version of the chicken coop. If he insists on building it off the ground it will be about $200 for the Trex decking! I still think pouring a concrete pad and putting the coop on the ground sounds like the best option, but hey, what do I know?

I should be in sewing, but I am contemplating just going to bed. What to do, what to do?

kimsophia
February 7th, 2016, 02:48 AM
Hoot hoot! Another loss for the Bulls but again, we played very well and didn't collapse in the fourth quarter...until the last three minutes!

I am cooking up some hard boiled eggs for deviled eggs. Haven't made those in a while.

No sewing since my morning mishaps (see the last night owl thread)!

stationarymom
February 7th, 2016, 02:57 AM
We had another quiet day today,my dh was outside snowblowing paths in the backyard for the puppy(Sterling) to run on.I wanted to go to the store but never got there I hope I do today.The weatherman says we might get more snow this week from Tues-Friday so I need to get some groceries in the house.The puppy didn't seem much like himself today he slept a lot and moaned a lot while sleeping so I worried something might be up again.Nancy I'm glad your DH is coming home it can be a real drain taking care of another adult especially a parent all by yourself.I did that when my mother was dying,I think it was harder taking care of my father though because he was an emotional mess.I hope everyone else has a good night.

MayinJerset
February 7th, 2016, 03:08 AM
I fell asleep for a few hours while watching TV so I'll be up now for a few Night Owling hours. Pretty much fixed the baby quilt I've been working on, removed some fabric squares that clashed and sewed some better coordinated fabrics in their place. Ripping seams, broken thread and then a broken needle all delayed the finish so I hope things go better tomorrow. Snow predicted for tomorrow so while DH watches the day long media hype about the Super Bowl I'll be in another room sewing.

Had a nice visit from DGD C this afternoon, she stopped by with a belated Bday card and gift for me as she was out of town when family celebrated. Gift was a beautifully framed photo of DH and I with her and her DH at their wedding a little over a year ago. She was on her way to the new home they are moving into. They had movers do the main move and now she's moving all the stuff stashed at her parent's house, hope to get to visit them as soon as they get settled.

Cathy we have one of those combination markets by us, love their fresh farm fresh eggs, produce and meats, especially their chopped chuck and/or meat loaf mix, A little more expensive than the local supermarkets but sometimes for an item or two it is worth the expense. Market began back in the 1930's as a highway stand for the veggies and fruits the family grew and over the years it became a big shop with produce, meats, deli, bakery, catering, coffee shop and nursery and in recent years they have been hosting shows, special lunches, Halloween hay rides, etc. It was run by one family for generations but was recently sold to the man who owns our town's super duper supermarket. The farm market has all new employees and last meat loaf I made with their chopped chuck had lots of fat in the pan, hope the new owner isn't cutting corners as it won't be worth my while to shop there any longer.

Getting hungry but think it's best that I just have a cup of tea while I see who is hanging out tonight.

toggpine
February 7th, 2016, 04:31 AM
Actually May, this place reminded me a lot of a Trader Joe's, but without their branding. It carries the Simple Truth brands, so it is linked to a major chain. (I can't remember which one carries that brand.) It is called Main & Vine. It was formerly a Quality Foods Center (QFC), they closed it for a major remodel and it was closed much longer than planned. I think it was tangled up in all of the grocery store sales and bankruptcy problems with Safeway, Albertsons, and Haagen stores.
I still think I'll be doing most of my shopping at Winco and Costco with backup at our local Albertsons.
I'm still up. We are going to see if we can make it through Saturday Night Live, or at least part of it.

kensington
February 7th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Been on and off of here all evening, I finished a Table runner for a side table to match the one on the dining table. Attached a bow to a small bag I made, then sewed strips together to put borders on a UFO I pulled out, on the second side my bobbin ran out. I turned off the machine and now I am watching the end of a movie. I wish it would end so I can go to bed. But, I'm this far in... so I have to know how it ends. Ahhh... such a day.