PDA

View Full Version : Let's hear it for Wednesday

Blondie
February 3rd, 2016, 07:46 AM

Hello Folksies!

I got my truck back last evening. The starter on it had frozen. Yeah. The new one I had put in just before Christmas. The one that had a money back guarantee. The one that I saved up almost 3 months to get fixed. The tow truck driver was a cutie pie. That was the highlight of my day. He was so cute, I almost regretted not wearing make up or dragging a brush through my hair. Sigh. So . . . . when the mechanic called me and told me the expensive news, wellsir, let's just say I didn't need any wheels to make it over there. He could tell by the screeching that my broom had arrived when he told me the cost. That was not going to happen. Thank goodness I am a good keeper of every piece of paper ever collected in this household. Since we had purchased the starter from an auto supply company, who is the holder of the warranty, it would appear I would have to apply to the corporation for a refund of the labor costs. I am not really fond of being jerked around. The mechanic got that message. I have my truck and he has a copy of the warranty that he can apply for the refund. Period.

I am not really a procrastinator. I like to see the end results. The finished product. I like to be able to smile and say TA DA DAAAAAAA !! I never used to have a problem with any project when I was younger - whether it was laundry, cleaning the bathroom, ironing shirts, sewing hems, stitching quilts . . . it seemed that everything - even if it was crammed in a day, got done. Then I suppose life got a little more squeezed in. Perhaps it was from lack of enough sleep, perhaps it was from kids growing up and leaving home, perhaps it was having to care for my folks, hmmm - anyway, I have noticed that my piles of stuff not finished or UFO's as it is commonly called are knee deep.
I am running out of space to stack the piles. I ran out of places to hide them long ago.

I told you that to tell you that I finished a twin-ish size quilt yesterday. it's only been in the making since last Sept., so that's pretty good. I intend on taking the rest of those almost finished projects and saying TA DAAAAA by the end of February. I won't promise I won't do that again. I mean, I do not have the best memory. And you know how excited I get over a new project. I may have to join Pinterest Anonymous. I will think about that tomorrow.

Hope your day finds you getting things accomplished that really need to get done. Like standing up to greasy handed men who work on vehicles, finishing up a quilt because you have no excuse not to and oh btw, while you are at it, smile a lot. Even if it is the menacing kind I was able to show the mechanic yesterday evening. Yeah, I am that good.

dwil23
February 3rd, 2016, 08:12 AM
Good Morning, Blondie and all!

Car trouble. How I hate that. Hoping I won't have any for a while now. After struggling for a couple years with my poor little 2000 Kia, I traded it a couple weeks ago for a new to me 4 Runner. Really enjoying it, but not looking forward to those payments - haven't had car payments in years, but it seemed like it because I had to keep sinking so much into the other one. My mechanic said last fall - "it's time". I know it is silly, but I seem to develop an attachment to my cars - I guess because I keep them for so long, but I do kind of miss the little Sportage.

I took last night off - trying to get my head above water around here! - I still have boxes of Christmas stuff to be packed and put in the attic! I can't believe it is already February. Time is flying way too fast - faster than ever. I'm also hoping to get a couple of projects finished. I have a baby quilt in the works and the baby is due tomorrow!

Last weekend I sat down to do a little therapeutic "mindless sewing" and I noticed little tiny white sparks on the inside of the motor to my very favorite "Marilyn Rose" vintage Morse machine. :icon_sniff: I quit sewing on her, so will have to pull another one out today. I hope it's not a major problem.

Hope everyone has a Blessed Day - prayers for all in need.

ceiliam
February 3rd, 2016, 08:44 AM
Donna hope nothing serious with your machine. Blondie yea for your truck...some times we women just need to pull out the broom. I am really lucky to have a wonderful brother in law who helps with car issues.
Had my class yesterday, I am so enjoying it. Teacher is great about helping fit clothes.
Have to take Petey in to vet today for his shots dreading that.
Hope all have a wonderful day. Prayers to all that need them. Cecelia

Monique
February 3rd, 2016, 08:54 AM
Good morning. Blondie, some 'men' think we know nothing sometimes.

I had a busy day yesterday which did not involve any sewing at all. I had errands to run, and had a supper meeting last night. So I spent the afternoon playing cards with my dear friend. A fun afternoon we had.

This morning we are currently getting freezing rain. So needless to say, I am not going anywhere today. Staying put and quilting.

Have a great day everyone.

quiltingtrish
February 3rd, 2016, 09:13 AM
This is why we all get along so well - we mostly seem to have the same troubles sometimes.
Blondie - I remember screeching to a halt on my broom one time that has to do with my son's vehicle. It needed inspection and he took it to the place he purchased it because they gave him the 'free inspection for life' speech when he bought it. The place is an hour and a half away from the house. When the inspection was over, this and that needed fixed first before he got the sticker but they could not fix it there. They only told him to take it to a dealer that could fix a Mitshubi. Well, do you think there were any of those places close by? I made numerous phone calls - 2 hours away here and there, I knew there had to be a place somewhat nearby. I finally saw an ad that a particular garage could work on any vehicle with 100% no complaints and I've heard of the garage before. So off we go. The problem took 5 minutes to fix - didn't even make an appointment and I had the paper in hand. I took the vehicle back in on a Saturday back to the place son bought it at and they said the original fella that did the inspection was off and it had to be the same guy to check it and issue the sticker. "They were so busy that no one else could check it." So I said that they told my son that all he had to do was bring in the paper saying the work was done and they would issue the sticker - nothing about that the original inspector had to be there. It didn't seem like they were going to budge. So off I walk to the vehicle and drive away. The broom screeched to a halt about a block away, I was pretty ticked off. Remember, I am an hour and a half away and I was told to come back later on another day. Back I go. They saw me coming back in, I saw their faces and they saw mine. I marched in and said that I had the paper, they had a group of mechanics standing around doing nothing, there were no other vehicles waiting to be worked on and I wasn't leaving until I had a sticker on the vehicle. There would be now no reason for a vehicle to pass inspection so do another inspection, and I'll leave. I was out of there in 15 minutes.
My son's reply to my comment of 'I don't think you want to go back there next year" and his reply was "Mom, what did you do?"
Yep, sometimes the broom comes out. haha!!
That was a long one, but worth telling.
Hope everyone has a great day -

Patsquilting
February 3rd, 2016, 09:14 AM
Glad you got your truck back. To be without - is no fun! Keep on that broom - we need to let them know we can't be taken for a fool!! We pay for things and when they own up to that - LOOK OUT!!

Hand sewing today as I wait for my son to go through surgery. Yes, I'm nervous. Just talked to my DIL - she was filling me in on where to go once at the hospital - floor, etc.

Here's to a great Wed - Enjoy everyone

Ginny B
February 3rd, 2016, 09:16 AM
Good morning everyone. Blondie, you go girl! Way to stand up to the greasy handed guy. The last time I had to bring my car in for work -- which was a recall and for which I made an appointment -- I had a fit when they told me it might be 2-3 days before I got my car back. What? It's a recall of your part. I made an appointment weeks in advance. I showed up on time for my appointment and you don't think you can get to it and then you may not have the right part? You knew I was coming and what the problem was and what part you would need! And then the man had the audacity to say "Why didn't you make arrangements for a loaner car?" Why should I? I had an appointment for TODAY. I don't need a loaner car for one day. Well, after a number of conversations, they made the arrangements for a loaner car (which they originally said it was too late to do) and then super--magically , my car was ready the next day. If we don't make squeaky wheel noises, they will walk all over us.

Going to have a nasty day here. Rain and wind, etc. Not cold enough to be freezing rain like you have Monique. Be safe.

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone.

KPH
February 3rd, 2016, 10:50 AM
Well, my plans are on hold. Suddenly, the DH is not in the 'mood' to go out. Retirement does that to ya' when you its nasty outside. Plans were to take my Husky in for its yearly cleaning (after the wad of lint I pulled out of it yesterday I think its time. I know the nice lady is going to tell me that it shouldn't need cleaning yet, but my baby gets used just about every day.... so it really does!

So, since the sewing machine is all packed up with no place to go today and the trip to the 'Sausage Guy's' farm is also cancelled, I guess it's time to read or work on hexies again. Or maybe plan out Zeke's Hungry Caterpillar, or laundry, or clean out my closet.

Onward and upward...

EnumclawGramma
February 3rd, 2016, 11:50 AM
Good Morning! I am coming to you live from the home of the 5 Grandchildren. Currently all still asleep upstairs. Pancakes have been requested and I have managed to locate everything I need to make this a reality. It's hard in another woman's kitchen, as a Mother in Law, but I have managed somehow. I even found some fresh blueberries so if they're in the mood they'll get that too. These kids start making plans for us weeks in advance I think. They've got nearly every minute scheduled and I'm already worn out (this is my first morning!) I believe God gives us Grands to keep us active. Just guessing. Did I mention all but the high schooler are home schooled? Yeah, so.....yeah.

It's going to rain all week. Go figure! But that's ok, we won't let that stop us from having a good time. We had Spring yesterday though. NICE.

Blondie so glad you got your truck problem figured out, and good for you for knowing when to get on that broom! And with such finesse! You make it look easy! *wink* I've spent my share of time on that broom as well, in the name of my kids usually. Somehow it's always easier when you KNOW you have right on your side.

Off to it! Hugs and Prayers all 'round! Have a fantabulous day!

MayinJerset
February 3rd, 2016, 11:58 AM
Good for you Blondie, enjoy your wheels and being able to go where you want.

Bubby
February 3rd, 2016, 12:13 PM
Morning Everyone,

Blondie, good job with the broom escapades. Libby, have a grand time with your Grands. This should be a wonderful blessing for you and them.

It's bitter cold here today. I planned to make some cream of broccoli soup but our broccoli turned the corner and had to be pitched. I won't go out in this cold for broccoli.

I have a whole day to do whatever I choose. I choose to be in the sewing room creating. I need to work on the quilt for my MIL. Once that is taken care of I can spread my sewing wings and fly.

Wishing a blessed day for everyone.

SewnByBee
February 3rd, 2016, 12:18 PM

I'm having my coffee and getting ready to get some things done. The laundry needs done, the bills are due, and I've got to put some groceries in the cupboards. I'm sure more will jump into the day unexpectedly as always. I'm not sure if anyone else has this happen, but it never fails, when I have a busy day, somehow it gets really loaded with added to-do's. It's like my day turns into a magnet , pulling things at me..........I'm like hey....there's. only so many hours in a day, you know........

I hope we all have a productive and successful day . Be blessed and full of joy and happiness.
...................................... 125416.............
.......Bee

rebeccas-sewing
February 3rd, 2016, 02:43 PM
Have a stupendous day today everyone. I love hearing stories of women standing up to men. After all, it's still a man's world but it's getting better. At least it is in the states. It's important for us to stnad our ground at times. You may not be a fan of Hillary Clinton but how awesome is it that a woman is actually running for president again? One of these days we will have a woman president. It might be sooner than we think. There are certainly many parts of our world where women suffer horrible oppression. Okay - won't go there. Better to keep it light and positive, right?

Working on a wedding quilt and trying to do as little as possible in the way of housework. Just a bit here and there so the place doesn't get too filthy. Will we ever get this place organized and all repairs made? Patience, Rebecca, patience.

I'm watching a fun Spanish series on Netflix called Gran Hotel. It takes place in the 1900's so the clothes are gorgeous. There are many episodes so I'm keeping very entertained. It's weird reading subtitles on a TV series but kinda fun. Definitely not a program when one can multi-task. hahaha

TMP
February 3rd, 2016, 03:25 PM
Good Morning everyone! The sun is out here and it so nice that at the moment its not raining. DD sent me a picture of the skirt Kaylee is making in class. ( wish I could post it but since I upgrades my computer I am having issues posting pictures ) She is still loving these classes. When this is done she gets to pick something she wants to make from their book. They have a summer class where you learn to make doll clothes. Oh my goodness would I have ever loved to do that myself.

I am so tired of sewing with bad light. I broke my lamp that fits on my machine and DH says he can't fix it. All I have is a ceiling fan and even with daylight bulbs its just not enough. DH says well I could put in recessed lights but its going to make one heck of a mess. ( in other words he doesn't want to do it) He said maybe you need to have your eyes checked. OMG did that fly all over me. I just had my eyes checked in December, told him I never have been able to see in the dark. I have a floor lamp also but you can't drag the thing down with you when your quilting on a frame.
I'm sorry for complaining about nothing here when there are so many of you that are going thru real life challenges. Hugs and prayers to all of you
Blondie good for you for standing up to that man!!
Enumclawgranmama, Enjoy those grandbabies!! It sounds like they have been looking forward to spending time with you.
Hope everyone, enjoys the rest of their day.