PDA

View Full Version : Candle Making

mommadeb
February 2nd, 2016, 08:34 PM
I have been wanting make candles for quite some time, so I did tonight. I researched and watched videos and bought supplies. I had just recently finished two Yankee candles so I melted those down and used the wax from them.

I bought two sizes of cotton wick so I would have the correct size for the jar I was going to use. I 'prepared' the wick by soaking it in the melted wax and letting it dry before using it. I went ahead and poured my candles and let them harden. Then I trimmed the wick to just a little over 1/4".

Here is my issue: I decided to go ahead and light one and see how it acted. The flame itself was probably 1 1/2" high with sooty smoke. The candle itself did burn ok at least. I've read that if you get sooty smoke, the wick is too big. I'm glad I only made 4 candles for now.

What did I do wrong?

bubba
February 2nd, 2016, 09:06 PM
The wick needs to be trimmed. It should only be about 1/4" long above the wax. If it's longer than that, it's too long. Also, after burning when the wick gets those black bumps on them, that should also be trimmed off.

mommadeb
February 2nd, 2016, 09:13 PM
The wick needs to be trimmed. It should only be about 1/4" long above the wax. If it's longer than that, it's too long. Also, after burning when the wick gets those black bumps on them, that should also be trimmed off.

I will try that when I mess with them tomorrow. Thanks.

Hulamoon
February 2nd, 2016, 09:24 PM
I agree with Pat. I was making candles from left over bought ones too.
What Should I Know About Burning Candles? (with pictures) (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-should-i-know-about-burning-candles.htm)

mommadeb
February 3rd, 2016, 03:46 PM
I cut the wick down even more today and it burned perfectly. Thanks for the advice.