PDA

View Full Version : Sending my "daddy's girl" to the bridge

jbrewer
February 2nd, 2016, 03:12 AM
I don't post much but read a lot on here. I posted a while back about my greyhound Barbie. Two Julys ago she was diagnosed with osteo in her LF leg. We amputated in August, 5 rds chemo. She has been GREAT for all this time. On Friday, I noticed she had been having worse than usual breath (greyhounds have notoriously bad teeth), and peeked in her mouth. Red, swollen gums. Took her in Saturday morning-tumors in her mouth. X-rays of her chest showed one large and 3 small tumors.

FYI, osteo has a 75% of metastasizing by the time an initial diagnosis is made (leg tumor). And a 95% chance of returning with a year. Racing greys and rotties are seem to have the largest percentages of occurrence.

We knew all this going into her amputation. We knew it would come back. **** cancer. My g-ma had it, stepmother-twice, 2 sisters-in-law, aunt. What is the purpose of it?

We have done all we can do. She is just fine now but know it will be a very short time-week or two- before the real pain sets in. She has come so far and want to give her every last day. She is symptom free as we know it. I do not want her to have any suffering. She has more than earned it.

Please pray, or send good thoughts for me, my wife, my 2 kids, and Diego(greyhound)-Barbie's nephew as we get through this tough time.

Cowgirl quilter
February 2nd, 2016, 03:24 AM
My heart goes out to you - I have mourned my share of animals over the years, and they are as dear as family. My thoughts and prayers are with all your family.

stationarymom
February 2nd, 2016, 03:27 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.I will be saying prayers for comfort and strength for Barbie and your family.

Simply Quilting
February 2nd, 2016, 04:16 AM
Praying for your dog, you and your family during this time.

baskets4deb
February 2nd, 2016, 04:29 AM
So sorry to hear this. And I agree, f*** cancer!

Angela J
February 2nd, 2016, 04:58 AM
I will be praying for you, Barbie and your family. Your post emphasizes how much our pets are a part of our family. Praying she will not suffer.

wlrquilts
February 2nd, 2016, 05:01 AM
Sending good thoughts. I know how devastating a loss of a pet can be.

MayinJerset
February 2nd, 2016, 05:20 AM
Thinking about you and your family during this sad time.

lapeoples
February 2nd, 2016, 05:41 AM
Very sorry to hear about Barbie. It's very difficult to lose a furbaby.

Monique
February 2nd, 2016, 07:35 AM
My thoughts are with you and your family.

easyquilts
February 2nd, 2016, 07:50 AM
losing a beloved pet is heartbreaking... I'm so sorry for what you and your family are going through.... I know from experience how gut wrenching it is to make that final decision..... My heart aches for you....and your precious Barbie...

Snip Snip
February 2nd, 2016, 08:20 AM
So sorry for your devastating diagnosis. Our beloved animal children are just here too short a time. I will be praying for you and yours.

Blondie
February 2nd, 2016, 08:23 AM
my thoughts and prayers are with you right at this time for you and your family. i am with you - what purpose does that horrible curse serve? thank you for being a faithful Daddy to Barbie and showing her the love we should all experience in our lives. God bless you. She will be waiting for you.

susie i
February 2nd, 2016, 10:06 AM
I'm so sorry. Just know you've given her a good life and I'm sure she knows how much she is loved.

songbird857
February 2nd, 2016, 10:19 AM
Praying for you through this tough time :(

mommamarsh
February 2nd, 2016, 10:27 AM
Sending thoughts of peace and comfort. She is loved .

CraftyJnet
February 2nd, 2016, 10:33 AM
My prayers are with you.

cv quilter
February 2nd, 2016, 10:33 AM
I feel so sad for you and your family. Our animals become family members very quickly and it's hard to lose one. Also hard to see them suffer. You and your family have obviously given Barbie a very good life, and she has given back in return. I will pray for all of you. Keep the thought that you have given her a happy home and much love.

rebeccas-sewing
February 2nd, 2016, 02:29 PM
Such a sad time when it's near the end for our pets. I can certainly empathize as I've been through it a number of times. I'm sorry for you and your pup.

Lyndaj
February 2nd, 2016, 03:17 PM
I am so sorry. I too went through this in November. Please take care of yourself, your family and your lovely fur baby.

just4me
February 2nd, 2016, 03:52 PM
We gave our dear sweet Ruby a "bucket list" day the day before we let her go. She had a great day...ate anything she wanted, had big drinks of milk, came in and out of the house without having to stand for us and have her feet cleaned free of mud, was allowed to eat any possum poo etc she found was allowed to wander with us up the street without a lead on so she could amble wherever she wanted and of course, got cuddled and kissed a million and one times.
We put her to sleep a few months ago and the pain and heartache is still so raw, my heart goes out to you and your family.

grammaterry
February 2nd, 2016, 08:43 PM
I , too , feel your pain. Just don't let her suffer for your own needs to have her. Let her go out painless if possible

Cokie
February 2nd, 2016, 08:56 PM
So very sorry to hear about your sweet pup. Thank you for giving her a good life and taking such good care of her. Keeping her and your family in prayer at this difficult time.

alliek
February 2nd, 2016, 09:05 PM
Love her up,don't let her suffer, Praying for peace of heart and mind when you put her to her rest. Think of her running free, no pain, no suffering.

blc
February 2nd, 2016, 09:29 PM
All five of our dogs crossed the bridge in the last two years after many long years as members of our family. It doesn't matter the conditions it is a difficult transition to be without them. My thoughts are with you as you go through the next period of time without your baby.

judimccl
February 3rd, 2016, 02:59 PM
I know how hard it is to send one of our fur babies to the bridge. Will be saying prayers for Barbie that her last days are pain-free ones, and asking God to wrap his arms around you all and give you some comfort through all of this.

geegeequilts
February 3rd, 2016, 03:21 PM
I can barely see the keyboard thru my tears as I read about your Barbie. We too have lost parts of our hearts when our furbabies have gone to that beloved bridge. Please know that we know what you're going thru & hope you will be strong for her as time passes. Don't let her suffer a second needlessly. She's had a great life & knows you love her. Love her enough back to make the best decision. God will take over her care & will watch after you as well. Post some pictures of you with Barbie so we can see Daddy & his girl. Take care.

Gina

dwil23
February 3rd, 2016, 07:32 PM
So, so sorry. We have a lot of family dogs (mine, DD1's, DD2's,DS's, my sisters and so on). Many of them are now approaching or past their tenth birthday, so I know this heartbreak is looming for us again. Just give all the love, hugs, and special treats you can in the time remaining.

Will be praying for you - please keep us posted.

mommadeb
February 4th, 2016, 04:25 PM
We went through this a little over a year ago with my Bindi. She had a fast growing liver cancer. It all happened within one month. Too fast. I still cry when I think of her and her happy personality and her loving kisses. I miss her dearly.

Midge
February 4th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Thinking of you and your family at this sad time. It's never easy to put down our beloved pets, but ending their suffering is merciful and puts them first, the final act of love you can give.

jjkaiser
February 4th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Ouch. I can feel your sadness but also your love for your beloved Barbie. You know what the right thing to do is and you will know when the time comes that it's "the day." I am a big dog lover myself, and I understand first-hand how attached we can get to our pets. They are so lovable and yes it is true they have their own endearing personalities. Take care.

marytfnp
February 4th, 2016, 10:09 PM
My heart goes to you and your family. I know how much our fur baby means to us. Strength, love and support to you

jbrewer
February 10th, 2016, 11:00 PM
Thank you everyone. She went peacefully yesterday morning. Very heartbroken right now.

DeniseSm
February 10th, 2016, 11:15 PM
For the love they give while with us, it is worth the pain of their loss.

Cokie
February 10th, 2016, 11:20 PM
I am thankful that her passing was peaceful. So very sorry for your loss. Please take comfort in your sweet memories and knowing how much you loved her and how much she loved you.

dwil23
February 10th, 2016, 11:44 PM
I am so sorry, and right there with you. We had to put our 15 yr old dachshund down on Sunday. Very unexpected. Then, today, we got word that my son's dog that was with ex DH had to be put down today, also unexpected. She was only 8 and acted fine until Sunday. Sad times.

(((HUGS)))

KPH
February 10th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Prayers uplifted. This has been a cancer news filled day. I totally agree f*** cancer.

jbrewer
February 10th, 2016, 11:53 PM
So sorry to hear. We lost our "firstborn" suddenly also. We took her home from the vet and had a 24hr stay before letting her go. Our Barbie was doing just fine and slowed down on Sunday. I knew she wasn't going to make it much longer. On Monday we scheduled a Tuesday morning appt. She was not using one of her back legs very much. Cancer? Who knows. Her poor little body was just ravaged with cancer.

All I can come up with is that there must be an angel shortage in Heaven.

Lyndaj
February 11th, 2016, 12:09 AM
Please accept my sincere condolences. Having just gone through this in November, I know how tough this is. Our Bo was his normal crazy self up to the day before his spleen bled out and it was discovered that he was covered in cancer inside.

geegeequilts
February 11th, 2016, 02:30 PM
I posted earlier but was checking to see how you & Barbie were doing. I am so very sorry. But take comfort in the fact that she left you as peacefully as she could. Picture this...she's is RUNNING & happy & waiting for you. Cry when you need too. Remember Daddy's girl, your beloved Barbie & smile when you can. God Bless you. You were the best Daddy.

Edited to add..love the Barbie pose!
Gina

judimccl
February 11th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Sorry to read this, but at least she went peacefully. Now she is at Rainbow Bridge watching over you and waiting for the day you will join her. When I had to put my Mollie to sleep, someone told me the following - when you feel the wind on your face it will be her letting you know she is there, and when you feel raindrops on your face it will be her giving you kisses. That helped me a lot during the months after losing Mollie.

mommadeb
February 11th, 2016, 03:26 PM
- when you feel the wind on your face it will be her letting you know she is there, and when you feel raindrops on your face it will be her giving you kisses. That helped me a lot during the months after losing Mollie.

This made me cry. I never though of it like this. Thank you. 125758