PDA

View Full Version : The Friday before Black Friday - Good Morning!

Blondie
November 18th, 2011, 08:31 AM

Happy Friday all my quilty friends!
I've been up for a while, just loving on my little Gracie. Freezing cold here this morning, as most everywhere else in the country. She is a snuggly little lap dog. I have been putting off making her a little quilted jacket. I think I will make her one for Christmas and my DD's little doxie one as well. Hubs thinks I am off my rocker. But then, that is nothing new. He has been known to tell me that I am not right as in "Now honey, you ain't right!" LOL. This most frequently is followed when I tell him I would pay good money just to look at him.
{Aw heck, you ain't right) Yep. Everyone in these parts already know this. Just ask anyone. That Blondie is too happy, she ain't right. LOL.

Okay, so it's Friday. THE Friday before Black Friday. I don't know about where y'all live but around here, there are commercials aplenty for "why wait until Black Friday, shop us now" Kinda adds to the feeling of being behind in all my sewing and gift thinking. Does anyone here do the Black Friday thing? I never get to because it is a Friday and lots of folks want to look good while they are shopping. I love the holidays but it is a time that I get to flex my super woman abilities and work my poor shoulder and hands to the max. Actually, since I don't do well in crowds of crazed shoppers, I would opt out anyway.

The weather of the night before last did produce a tornado about 60 miles south of me. Two deaths. So sad. The news reported it had a path 8 miles wide. Lots of damage.

I woke up still beaming about our Nancy (Loonwatcher) who made her first sale on Etsy. Once again, Nancy, I am so happy for you. Lifting my mug of coffee (8 o'clock brand for our Oldgurl Pam since she wanted to know) in delicious congratulations.

Off to get ready for work. I hate to move since Gracie is snuggled down so warmly on my substantial thighs, underneath the lap quilt. Sigh. My idea of heaven this morning - a sweet little doggie on my lap, a chill in the air and a hot cuppa, visiting with my friends! Hate to leave but I must. Have a special day everyone. Smile lots and lots. And sew like Christmas is tomorrow. It will be here before we know it!

MRoy
November 18th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Good Morning! I don't do Black Friday unless it's online. I don't like the crowds and I'd rather spend one of my few days off work relaxing. Blondie, I'm sure your fur babies would be adorable in their jackets. Happy Friday everyone!

Loonwatcher
November 18th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Good Morning. I don't do Black Friday either. In fact I try to get most of my shopping done before Thanksgiving and i've done pretty good so far. Just have to finish the things I'm making and finish shopping for son and DH (mostly DH) and most of that can be done online.

Blondie - you wouldn't be as awesome as you are if you were "all right". We love you just as you are. And thanks for the congrats. I'm still flying high about it - doesn't take much to thrill me. LOL

Have a great day!

Mrs.Sew&Sew
November 18th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Hey everyone Good Morning!
I go to Black Friday about every other year or so. If my husband says I want this! Then I go get it as he is at work and never tells me anything he wants he just always says I have all I need cause I have you! He is sooooo sweet!

Don't worry Blondie everyone here thinks I'm off my rocker too! I think we are in a good club huh?

I'm off to shop like the commercials say before Black Friday. Ugh I need an outfit for a wedding I HATE shopping for clothes!

Oh well hope everyone has a super Friday!

kziggy
November 18th, 2011, 10:23 AM
GOOD MORNING!!! FRIDAY!!! finally which means only 3 days until I have 4 days off... YES!!!! no work and lots of sewing time!!!! YES.... I hate black friday but my Mom and My sister are making me drive because I have anxiaty attacks in large groups of people the mall this time of year does not do anything for me other then to freak me out. So I will leave my shopping up to my sister and my mom I will drive and be safer in the car with my coffee (starbucks) and my kindle....Hope you all have a great day!!!!

EsGrandma
November 18th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Good Morning to everybody! Blondie, you are too funny (loved the line "sew like tomorrow is Christmas". Nancy, congrats on your sale! I do get out on black friday - have to get my Mickey Mouse globe from Penney's! Been doing that for years - usually, I have most of Christmas shopping (well maybe not the sewing) done early. All of my family lives out of state and it is expensive to mail a lot. Hope everybody has a great day. Linda

meemeecyn
November 18th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Happy Friday everyone! Blondie, we love you the way you are! And besides "all quilters just ain't right"!!!! Gotta be to have such a love affair with a machine, Jack the Ripper, scissors and needles!!!!! Nancy, congrats on your sale! How exciting!

Last year I did some shopping on line on Cyber Monday. Lots of deals....but pretty much stayed within the budget. Boy, that can go awry quite quickly!

MY DGD are coming over this weekend so DD and husband can go to a play. Hopefully we get to make cookies and watch a 'horsie movie"! It is time to do some major spoiling!

Have a great weekend all my 'quilting sistas'!!
Cynthia

Beakkmom
November 18th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Blondie, your morning comments are always so fun to read. What woman has a husband of xx years that doesn't think she 'ain't right'? My DH referrs to quilting guild as quilting cult, but with a smile of course.

My DH, and 3 DD and I did the Black Friday thing one year - DD's were grown but had made it home for Thanksgiving. We had an absolute blast at a big Central Iowa mall - didn't buy much, but that wasn't the point - it was a spur of the moment 'why not'? Usually we're not big shoppers.

I've made some table runners for Christmas this year and am now feeling behind. I do need to get in gear today - Friday is my day off - to sew or not to sew....silly question!

Blessings!

Sandy Navas
November 18th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Good Morning Everyone!! Every Friday is Black Friday for me - that's much better than being in the RED . . . anytime. Let's see, what do I have to share today? Other than what has been said above - comments on my BF Blondie not being right . . . yeah, right?

* Saw my eye doctor yesterday - decision made NOT to do surgery yet. What a relief. Eye pressures were slightly improved.
* Celebrated (huh?) 44 years with the same man. He even told friends that he thought maybe after all this time he'd break down and finally marry me. I tell him he's like an old pair of shoes - doesn't look so good, kinda run down at the heels, but so comfortable and cozy feeling that I think I'll keep him.
* Took my dear 20YO GD to work - and listened to her crying because her sweetheart just confessed that his former GF is PG and our dear Amanda is CRUSHED beyond belief . . . no word it is even his though as there are other parties suspected . . .
* Al jumped up from his computer chair to accompany me to the ophthalmologist yesterday and wrenched his lower back and spent the day in bed with muscle relaxants. Wonder how he's going to fare today - said it was still 'sore'.
* Making progress on two wall-hangings I must have done by Monday (lunch with my Bro & Sis). The FMQ on the quilting frame was not pleasing so I have been doing one completely by hand and the other on my regular sewing machine. Have the binding about 3/4 done on the larger one. I'm going to be sewing snowflakes one one tonight . . . by hand . . . that should be fun. Adding jingle bells to the other.
* DD and DSIL are headed to KC tonight where she's having a tat on her right shoulder to mark the passing of their dear Maria whom they lost last year. So I'll have 5 of the seven here tonight - cheese pizza pleases everyone's palate.
* Sunday it is Thanksgiving dinner at Mom's nursing home - I'm fixing a new broccoli bake I have found (I'll let you know how it turns out) and also will be making a cherry cobbler. I rationalize when going to these dinners - it is pot luck but so few people actually make something any more and I do get tired of the store-bought packaged pies, salads, etc. I like REAL food . . .
* Have the calendar marked up between here and the Christmas holidays with dates for the DGDs to come and work on their Christmas presents - sure hope I can keep up with three afternoons a week. They all have different ideas and I'm expected to guide them. And I understand they are planning a Christmas play and I need to help with the scenery . . . help!!
* Cats are NOT doing their job - have discovered remnant odors of at least two deceased mousies that I cannot locate - and how in the world can I get rid of that odor? Why do I pay these cats so much? Maybe I need to move the cats to the attic.
* Hoping to get my Thanksgiving dinner menu items purchased today - at least what I can keep until time to cook - and that will only leave me to pick up the perishables next week . . .

To sew, to sew, it's off to sew we go . . . Oh, and to the grocery store. Have I mentioned I love to go grocery shopping - almost as much as I enjoy the fabric stores and thrift shops!!

Genny
November 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM
OH my goodness, I DO Black Friday Sales! My 2 daughters, and sometimes my oldest grandaughter, leave home about 6am on Black Friday morning and head for DesMoines for our annual Black Friday Shopping. Takes us a little over an hour to get there and then the crazyness begins!!! Thank goodness by the time we get there a lot of the sales have been going on for hours and we don't have nearly the crowds of people to deal with that we'd have by getting there by 5am. This year its going to be a little harder then most, I have to work Thanksgiving and I don't get off till 11:00pm...Good thing I'm not driving:icon_rolleyes:

bakermom
November 18th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I've done the Black Friday thing a coupleyears. I get off work about 4 a.m.so sometimesI will head out then. really haven't seen anything in the "leaked" ads this year that are worth the headache .Willprobably mosey out to joanns at somepoint over the weekend though.I told DD i would stay with the baby so HE doesn't have to go shopping with them. sounds much more fun to me!

Monique
November 18th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Blondie, seems we both started the Friday chit chat at about the same time but I like yours better. I feel a little better today, getting the baby quilt finished at least. Might take me all day to do that. Need lots of breaks. BLACK FRIDAY!!! I sort of know what it is but have never done it. We don't have that here in Canada. That's okay, no money to shop anyway.

To all my quilty friends, have a wonderful day!!

oldgurl4
November 18th, 2011, 03:02 PM
SUNSHINE!! If you Changed.... NOW! THAT WOULDN'T BE RIGHT! Haa-haa
SERIOUSLY!
We Luv Ya Just THE WAY YOU ARE!! (Dedicating this song to You)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk&ob=av3e
:icon_kiss:XOXOXO

Black Friday...:icon_stunned: Interesting S-u-b-j-e-c-t

I PLEA THE 5th!
Next Topic?
Haa.ha..ha

Well I also see the TV commercials....Asking the AMERICAN PEOPLE... to Shop at least One Item on
Friday Nov 26th to help The Economy.

I looked at DH ...Turned to TV....Looked at Him again...
and said...
WELL... HON!!
It's the PATRIOTIC THING TO DO!
My COUNTRY IS CALLING ME!
He Just Rolled He's Eyes... ;)

Welll That's the way I see iT! :icon_whistle:and I'm Sticking to this Story!

You all Have a Blessed Day....
P.S. THe Coffe was for Me ~Sunshine~ Thanx (it's OKAY If you forget NAMES Too, Still luv the way U Are LOL..LOL) :icon_razz: ;)

toggpine
November 18th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Black Friday has dragged me out of bed in the past. Mom and I used to go together (back when they used to hand out shopping bags with goodies in them), but the last few years we have gone separately since we live farther apart now, but we meet up for brunch. I have gotten some good deals on things over the years, but usually not the "Door Buster" stuff they think you want. I usually hit JoAnn's since they can have crazy good deals on flannel, batting, and then offer a % off of the sale prices too if you check out before 10AM or something. That is where you need a shopping partner. One stands in the cutting line, while the other gets in the check out line. That year the check out line wrapped clear around the back of the store.
This year will be a no-go for me. The budget won't allow it and I do believe I have a baby to watch! My step-son has to open @ Home Depot at 4 AM and he has the baby that weekend. So, we get to watch him that morning.

I finished fluffing up some panel blocks to make them 12.5". What fabric designer doesn't make their blocks square? Apparently Joanne Sharpe for Springs Creative Group doesn't feel the need. What a pain in the patootie! I actually don't mind adding a border to make the block the size I want, but it would help the look of things (& my mathematically challenged brain) if the panel wasn't nearly an inch different between height and width. Arrgh! Oh well. It will be cute when it is done. (Sorry for the rant, but I hate "fudge-it" math almost as much as I hate wasting fabric!)
On to a happier note. I am cutting the fabric for my Jacob's Stepladder/Northern Lights block that offsets those panel blocks. Hopefully that will go quickly today and I can get to sewing on them this evening. The weather is supposed to be kind of crappy and they are saying we might see some snow here in the Puget Sound lowlands this weekend. oh yea. BUT at least I won't need an excuse to stay inside and sew! I just need to clean/fill water tanks and get the heaters out some time today so I don't have to schlep buckets to the barn if it really does freeze.
Hi ho, hi ho, off to cut I go! You all have a great day! :icon_hiya:
Cath

mitzs
November 18th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I would love to take a road trip and hit the quilt shops for black friday, but I don't think it is in the budget this year. DH hasn't worked in a week and I don't think there is anything line up for next week. He keeps insisting that kerosen is more important then fabric. What is wrong with that man? Does he not understand that I am trying to make blankets to keep us warm? :D

Divine Daisy
November 18th, 2011, 05:31 PM
um.......... i dont know what black friday is........do i need to? Have i been missing something fab all these years?

mitzs
November 18th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Black Friday, the day after our thanksgiving is consider the first offical day of xmas shopping here in the states and the stores put on some whopping discounts to draw you into their stores. Seriously. I used to save all year just for black fridays!

um.......... i dont know what black friday is........do i need to? Have i been missing something fab all these years?

bakermom
November 18th, 2011, 05:40 PM
"Black Friday" is the make or break day for retailers(at least thats the claim).they offer deep discounts on certain items to lure people out to shop. the stores open earlier than usual-some as early as midnight.it's mostly a gimmick to get people out to spend.

quiltingtrish
November 18th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Not right Blondie? I guess I am not right too! It's a good club to belong to.

I actually saw, for the first time this year, a commercial advertising for people to shop at their local small stores that are owned by small businessmen, not the big monopoloys like Walmart, Target, etc. Well, I guess the folks that work there need people to shop there too so they can keep their job, but I thought it was past due for the advertisement to show to support the smaller business'. I actually try to purchase my gifts that I don't make, at the small town stores here without having to drive into the malls and put up with that chaos.

I've shopped on Black Friday twice and never again. The first time me and 2 girlfriends from work went to the Park City Mall in Lancaster. A huge mall that had a center circle with I think about 6 spokes of stores that came out from the center. I can remember to this day that there were so many people in there, I could not breathe. I had to go outside to get some oxygen.
The 2nd trip - DH insisted on going to a Best Buy for a computer with a price to die for. It entailed driving an hour to get there in the pouring down, freezing rain leaving here at 5 AM with 3 small kids in the car - finding no parking spaces and then finding a line outside the store to get in, you only got the good price on the computer if you were one of the first 10 in line and then saying forget it and driving home - getting back here at 6:30 with 3 very wound up kids. Haven't been back since. I either make stuff or have my shopping done at earlier sales.

Well - off to get some church work done. Hope you all have a great evening!

Hugs,

BellasQuilts
November 18th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I NEVER shop on Black Friday. There is nothing that I need so bad to give someone to go through the torture of that kind of shopping. Matter of fact, I hate Christmas time. Not Christmas, but how it has become one huge marketing/sales "adventure" that tortures people into believing if they don't "buy now" something bad will happen or someone will be disappointed. That's a bunch of crap (and I am a marketer). That is why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Time to sit and be still with family and friends and be thankful for our lot in life (without the need for gifts to prove our affection) and to simply be together. As I get older, time is more precious than any material gift you can give me. Give me your time, and I will cherish it always. Oh, and I think gift giving should be moved to the New Year if you are going to give gifts: get a better deal and don't buy into someone's marketing ploy that ruins a good holiday. My rant for the day.

Sandy Navas
November 19th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I NEVER shop on Black Friday. There is nothing that I need so bad to give someone to go through the torture of that kind of shopping. Matter of fact, I hate Christmas time. Not Christmas, but how it has become one huge marketing/sales "adventure" that tortures people into believing if they don't "buy now" something bad will happen or someone will be disappointed. That's a bunch of crap (and I am a marketer). That is why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Time to sit and be still with family and friends and be thankful for our lot in life (without the need for gifts to prove our affection) and to simply be together. As I get older, time is more precious than any material gift you can give me. Give me your time, and I will cherish it always. Oh, and I think gift giving should be moved to the New Year if you are going to give gifts: get a better deal and don't buy into someone's marketing ploy that ruins a good holiday. My rant for the day.

Can we hear a resounding AMEN!!!!

toggpine
November 19th, 2011, 04:52 AM
AMEN!

Only the kids are getting Christmas this year. It got to be so crazy and expensive, that we are just going to have a nice family dinner and visit. None of us have the budget for a commercial Christmas, so we are doing our part and rebelling against it. I am trying to make all of the gifts for the kids this year too. They love them as much and they certainly last longer than the cheaply made imports.
When or if we do get back to buying gifts, then I am going to take the advice of several e-mails and buy gifts or gift certificates to local shops and services. Those folks are trying hard to make a living for their family and doing it in MY community, thereby making it a better place to live. I am with you on your rant, and I imagine most of us quilters are too.