PDA

View Full Version : You can't say Super Bowl on TV?

Hulamoon
January 30th, 2016, 12:39 AM
I was watching the Today Show and they were showing party stuff and they weren't allowed to say Super Bowl. How stupid is that?

quiltsRfun
January 30th, 2016, 12:47 AM
Did the explain why they couldn't say it?

ilive2craft2
January 30th, 2016, 12:50 AM
It's a trademarked phrase and the NFL keeps a tight reign on their trademarks - "Super Bowl" is one of their trademarks.........ugh

SallyO'Sews
January 30th, 2016, 12:53 AM
It's all about the Benjamins ($$$$). The NFL and the network that airs the game have a copyright to the words.
Like you can't say "March Madness" when the collegiate basketball season wraps up, unless you have paid big bucks to the NCAA for sponsorship.

Simply Quilting
January 30th, 2016, 02:29 AM
And it is not just saying it on TV. There are several watch parties in our town and NO ONE can use the words "Super Bowl" instead words like big game and game day are used. Several years ago the NFL issued a warning that using the words "Super Bowl" in any advertisement or promotion would result in a huge fine.

pcbatiks
January 30th, 2016, 03:00 AM
But can you say a big game that is super ! ? ! ? :D

kensington
January 30th, 2016, 03:34 AM
I've been seeing the term "Super Bowl" all over facebook today. Someone on the Local news said it tonight.

I haven't noticed anyone trying to avoid saying it. LOL.

easyquilts
January 30th, 2016, 08:22 AM
This is all do dilly.... I had no idea terms like "Super Bowl. and "March Madness" were forbidden... The thing is...., those terms are used all the time...by neatly everyone' including people on the radio. I get the money angle' but... I still think it's kind if like trying to our spilled milk back in the bottle...

Hulamoon
January 30th, 2016, 09:05 AM
It seems like only a month ago or so they were having segments on the commercials that were coming out for 'The SuperBowl'. Seems to me that's free advertising when the name is mentioned. I don't get it. Does this go for the written word too?

Good thing we can sing Happy Birthday now.

snippet
January 30th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Companies can use the term Super Bowl only if they've paid for it. If they haven't, the lawyers will come. Even local businesses can't use it in their advertising. I remember a couple of years ago it caused a big stink among the stores selling big screen TVs.

Rather silly to me, but by protecting the name, they can get those high prices for it's use. It's like he-who-shall-not-be-named, isn't it? It sort of goes against free speech to me, but I'm not a lawyer.

Bneighbor
January 30th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Since football is of no interest to me, I am safe. No need to say the "Words"! Lol.
It is all about the money. The only way to stop the silliness, is to not support this and not watch the game.
Good reason to have a nice quilting project set and ready for my "Sewing Bowl"
I would say not to support the sponsors, but since just about every company in the country paid those huge fees, it will be hard to boycott every sponsor. 22 commercials every 15 minutes over a 3/4 hour time slot, is WAY too many to endure. And no entertaining half time. I remember many years ago there being really good marching bands with synchronized routines, and Pom-Pom girls in decent costumes ( not hooker street wear). Interviews with coaches and "retired" football players that sounded less political. Now it is whoever the hot "entertainer" is at the moment, lip syncing their latest "hit" with a group of so-called back up dancers flopping around like they are having a seizure. Since I have not seen a Big Bowl in decades I only can comment as to what I have seen while channel surfing or have seen as I pass a tv when I am out. Or, of course, what the news thinks is the highlights of the game and whatever the "entertainment" goofed up or what body part they flashed. But, I change the channel when they start reporting the Big One.
In a positive note. There have been many commercial in the past that have been memorable. Some have become iconic. Budweiser and their Clydsdales. They seemed to touch our hearts with slices of history, brought emotions of patriotism, and cute humor. The one I most remember, it's the horses " bowing " towards the fallen twin towers. Or one with a wheel-chair Veteran , touching noses. Or the colts "trying on" the harnesses, as if playing dress up.
If this commentary is offensive to anyone, I apologize.
Oh well, progress, I guess.

asta
January 30th, 2016, 10:49 AM
A sewing Bowl sounds great to me, I will have to get to planning that Super party!

easyquilts
January 30th, 2016, 11:03 AM
I'm all for a Sewing Boel.... Will it be safe to utter the words?

Midge
January 30th, 2016, 11:34 AM
I'm all about a Sewing Bowl! With Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl on the TV to provide some smiles....But I have no animosity towards the companies that create those Unnamed Bowl ads. They are often enjoyable, and yes, the Clydesdale's are generally the best of the bunch.

Linda71
January 30th, 2016, 02:13 PM
"Sewing Bowl" Such a great idea! Just the thing to do for 365 days a year. Maybe you should be thinking of copywriting this.

Grandma G
January 30th, 2016, 02:44 PM
I was watching the Today Show and they were showing party stuff and they weren't allowed to say Super Bowl. How stupid is that?

Lorie - I was watching the Today Show, too, when they said that they weren't aloud to actually say Super Bowl. I thought maybe it was because NBC is not broadcasting the game this year. It is being televised by CBS. However, after Googling that question here is what I found. The NFL has the exclusive trademark rites for the Super Bowl name and without paying big bucks to the NFL you can't use the name without their permission. And it doesn't come cheap.

Hulamoon
January 30th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Lorie - I was watching the Today Show, too, when they said that they weren't aloud to actually say Super Bowl. I thought maybe it was because NBC is not broadcasting the game this year. It is being televised by CBS. However, after Googling that question here is what I found. The NFL has the exclusive trademark rites for the Super Bowl name and without paying big bucks to the NFL you can't use the name without their permission. And it doesn't come cheap.

On theToday show this morning Erica said it few times. So Hoda couldn't say it yesterday showing a party set up but this morning Erica could? Maybe she's a rebel lol. I'm not into the game too much. I just like to know the whys of things. Like why one day it was okay and not another.