PDA

View Full Version : Thursday morning hellos

Blondie
January 28th, 2016, 09:22 AM

Hello Folksies!

Why has the past week flown to? I really have lost all track of the days and while that may be okay if you don't have things to get done, it really isn't working for me. Work this morning. Hooray! Last week was a bust, so even though Momma doesn't need new shoes, being housebound means Mrs Hubbard's cupboard needs a food fix.

So, I just KNEW all my best buds and sisters would understand my mixed combo of emotions of men retiring. I remember so well when my Daddy retired. My mother's freedom was over. After a fashionable amount of time, she once again ruled her kingdom with a new velvet glove. I wouldn't trade Luscious for all the Dunkin Donut Coffee in the world. I think it has been cabin fever where I was totally housebound. Gosh that sounds awful. I mean good grief, tell me when you were young and in love and your man had to go to work, you wanted to cry because of how much you were gonna miss him. These days, when school starts up I sing, Happy Days are here again. Well, that's not exactly true - ya'll know me much better than that. I am disgustingly happy. I have a man who cleans, does laundry, cooks (all whenever necessary and sometimes as a big surprise) lets me do pretty much whatever I want within reason (gotta watch me when I get a wild hair), he does the yard work, dotes on my Mom - how many SIL's do that - and last but not least, he has a really cute giggle. I call it the pillbury dough boy giggle. Imagine that from my big bruiser. So, I know I am in deep. I would've been cranky being holed up with just me. Wait. Did I just say that? No. I wouldn't have been cranky all by myself with no place to go. No. No. No. But I would've been cranky with anyone else but me. Thank you for your total support and understanding. I do hope you realize that half of what I write or more is very tongue in cheek!

Okay, now that the above has been explained, let's talk about you. You are far more interesting than anything I can say or do. How have you managed your projects so far this year? Have you decided to delve through your bucket of lists and snatch one up? Are you the kinda person who does a project from start to finish? Are you organized down to the thread and needle? Are you a collector of collections? Do you start a project and then say, what the heckfire shoot was I thinking? I can't use this fabric. I need that new Edyta Sitar collection! ? Do you find yourself drawn to the same styles of patterns and colors? Tell me all.

Giving Luscious a huge hug and kiss bye bye. Oh, he can give the best hugs. That's one of the reasons I call him Luscious!

Have a great day. Make something beautiful - even if it is the smile you give away. Smiles are the easiest thing to make, give away and get back. Wow. Think about that!

songbird857
January 28th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Morning all -
Blondie, you crack me up :) I did see your post yesterday, was gonna respond, then got busy and never really made it back this way ;)
I have way too many projects half done right now. Three quilt tops waiting to be sandwiched, two quilts that the blocks are ready and need to be pieced together, and one in the baby stages (365 quilt). I did finish a purse yesterday, except for attaching the handles - can't do that on my Viking - 12 layers of faux suede - noooo ma'am. I'll see if my Singer can handle it later, if not, then rivets :).
Ok, I'm off to get some coffee - have a wonderful day all!

URIBARRI-MAYOR
January 28th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Hello everyone, itīs 2 noon on a rainy and dreary day and makes me feel a little boring, so Blondie understand his humor, although his joyful sense of life will help you spend a happy day, I to prepare the evening meal and will quilting a table runner is a UFO I want to finish for display in my group "GitīER DONE" hoping that everyone has a happy day and to stay out of storm, Greetings

MayinJerset
January 28th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Blondie, Being housebound and not being able to get on M* forum for days would try the best of us and sweetheart you're the Best there is. So happy you are back with your early morning words of wisdom and whimsy.

As for my 2016 To Do List - it is clipped to the calendar I keep on my desk and that's as far as I've gotten. I usually complete a project before starting a new one so I better hurry and get the baby quilt I started finished as DGD C is due in a few weeks. Her Dad, DS#2, and Mom will be flying to New Orleans as soon as their first grand baby arrives and planned to bring the quilt with them. This new baby will be great grandson #5!

Mom23
January 28th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Good Morning All,

Yesterday's post really got me thinking about when my husband retires. I'm not sure I will be able to handle having him around all the time. He can't sit still on Sunday when he's supposed to have a "day of rest". I will have to encourage him to get a job as a WM Greeter!

Since the first of the year I have finished 8 quilts. I was on fire the first two weeks of the new year but I've slacked off a little. My sewing room is messy right now and I haven't even cared to go in there.

So I have to tell you what I did yesterday that has me worried about myself. I knew Wednesday would be busy so I prepped last night's dinner on Tuesday night. Yesterday morning I got up at 4:30 a.m. and went to the hospital to sit with my aunt until 11:00. Drove 40 miles to have lunch with a friend. Got back just in time to go to the doctor with my daughter. Dropped off 5 quilts at my LAQ. Came home and set my alarm for a 30 minute nap. Started my dinner of chicken skroodle.

My son, daughter and future son in law came for dinner so I wanted it to be nice. This is where I worry about myself. We were talking future SIL about the chicken skroodle because he had never heard of it when my son says "where's the chicken"? What the heck, I forgot to put the chicken in the casserole. A couple weeks ago I made sauerkraut soup and forgot the potatoes. At least that wasn't a main ingredient!

I thought I would sleep like a baby last night since I've spent the past week worried about my daughter's test results. No, I tossed and turned all night worrying that I might be getting alzheimer's. I'm thinking back to everything I've forgotten in the past year and my memory is getting worse.

Okay, enough about that. Hopefully I've given you a laugh for the day. I'm off to get a haircut and color, visit my aunt and go sew with the ladies from the guild. Don't have to worry about supper tonight, we are having skroodle with no chicken.

Blessings to All.

Sandy Navas
January 28th, 2016, 10:54 AM

Best ad I've seen in a long time. And guess what? No side effects.

Wait until I get a chance to show off my accomplishments for the year (so far).

SewnByBee
January 28th, 2016, 11:26 AM

Hey all, I have to say I start a lot of projects. While I'm working on one I find another one I must do. So I have quite a few that's ready to be put together. Some cutou. Somemore I want to do.......lol........I get excited to try something new.

I do lean toward the dark colors for myself. ......but I also like the faded shabby chic too......like music I like some of all kinds. A little country, rock and roll, jazz, all of it minus opera, can't do that. So I pick colors and styles by the type of project I'm working on.I love pretty fabric , and finding a way to use it too. I take spells working my way through them............. I'll get them done eventually......

What's your thing? Do you have a favorite style of fabric ? I love the
civil war colors...... but I also find many of the 30's I like too. Does anyone else do this?

Hope everyone is feeling better. Have a super duper day.

....................125086..........☺.

TMP
January 28th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Good Morning everyone. Woke up again about midnight. Its getting so old not being able to sleep thru the night, but on the plus side I started a scrap quilt from the remains of Jenny's Christmas gift quilt. I have 3 quilts pieced and here I am starting another one.
DD is on vacation and came over yesterday and quilted on her minion guilt. I had to help her with her binding. I don't know why she dreads that step so much to me its the easiest part of a quilt and means your almost done. Its a really simple charm quilt but its the cutest thing. We are minion crazy in this house.
While she was using my machine I made her Chex mix that I had promised to make at Christmas. I'm a little late with that . She loves that stuff so much I believe she ate it for breakfast this morning.
My 8yr old granddaughter now has taken a month of sewing classes . I ask her if she wanted to continue and she said OH YES. She has learned how to measure herself and select the right size pattern. For the 2nd project she is making a skirt. I can't wait to see it.
I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

cv quilter
January 28th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Good morning, Bee. What a fun post you just did! Let's see, for me I've always loved the safe fabrics and patterns: light colors, florals, log cabin, 9 patch. BUT, I find myself branching out and trying new things. Bright colors (jewel tones: Jinny Beyer!) , batiks (oh how I love them), trying to master the HST (I have so much trouble with these and don't know why), am going to try paper piecing and have a class on Feb 6 with a certified instructor for Judy Niemeyer to do the Desert Sky pattern in batiks. Wish me luck. I also get going on too many projects and have many to finish. I love machine embroidery and work on lots of fun projects and designs. I'm in my sewing room much of the time and love it!

Angelia
January 28th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Good morning, Blondie and all who follow! :)

I'm working on two quilts right now. I need to get borders on Allietare, so I can layer it up to quilt. Jamestown Landing is in the assembly stage--I have to stay alert on that one, since the layout is more complicated than my norm. I'm thinking I'll start some more string blocks just because I love making them--relaxing and mindless! (Mindless sounds pretty good right now.)

I understand the trepidation about having the husband home full time--I am an introverted introvert, and I require lots of alone time to recharge. Retirement is several years away for us, but I have thought about it!

JCY
January 28th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Good Morning ~ My DH has been medically retired since 1991, so he's been around the house for a long time. However, after he was retired, I went back to work PT for 18 yrs. By the time I retired, DH was having some health problems & was in more need of some caregiving, esp. the past few yrs. We do what we have to do. We have to deal with life as it is, not as we wish it were. Any dreams I had of traveling & going places in my retirement went up in smoke. I cannot get away (out of town for a vacation) unless one of his sons comes to stay with him. The Lord gives us strength for what we have to do. I'm not complaining. I take each day as it comes.

About the sewing projects ~ I have a tendency to jump to a new project when a quilt top is finished. I keep seeing tuts or patterns I want to try! I definitely am working my way through the UFOs this year. I set a goal to FMQ at least 1 top for every new quilt finished. I don't have as much time as I'd like each day to sew. On the urgent list is to make labels & get them sewed on. Also to wash a finished quilt in prep for gifting. I have a baby shower coming up next mo. I also need to make a few more flannel burp cloths.

Now it's time for breakfast, then mix up a batch of turkey patties for the freezer.

sewbizzy
January 28th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Blondie, nobody could say it all better!!
I love your posts...

alliek
January 28th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Talk about projects!!! Working on a queen size on point patchwork quilt. I love the way it's coming out. Unfortunately I don't think I have enough fabric and I did not realize (???:icon_crazy:) how difficult it is to manage this quilt as it grows larger since you work on an angle. I promised my DD to have a walker bag made for her elderly neighbor when we go up to her to pack up her house. (NOT looking forward to that, but we have to help). I also have an orange peel quilt to layer or send out for quilting. I just received all the supplies needed for a churchwide project. The gathering will be held in August when the project is due, so I have some time. I am making (are you ready) sanitary napkins for girls in rural Africa. It seems that girls who reach puberty have very little knowledge of what is going on in their body and because they do not have the means to purchase the sanitary supplies they need, they use grass,bark and rags. They also miss school and the drop out rate because of this event is very high. Those who stay in school, face ridicule if it is known, especially from males so the girls miss 20% of their school years. There is also the thinking that if a girl is ready to have a child she should be married and not in school. So....the idea behind distributing these supplies (which will be washable) is the education and edification of the girls and female community by health workers. They will be distributed, I think,by the same organization that distributes the little dresses for Africa. I pray this does the good they hope. Enjoy the day, a little overcast but just thinking about those girls makes me sooooo grateful for what I have and where I live. God Bless .

Angelia
January 28th, 2016, 02:18 PM
alliek--That's a great cause.

LauraP
January 28th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Here's a bit of wisdom I keep around for those days when I think nothing else can go wrong. I figure that this hasn't happened yet so it can't be all that bad.

toggpine
January 28th, 2016, 03:12 PM
I have a monster list of things I want to do, and an impressive list of stuff I need to finish! I have been making some progress on the PHD list. Although that progress has been tempered by my desire to get the house sorted out.
It seems crazy to say, but we have boxes we haven't done much with since we moved in here over eleven years ago. I can't take it any more. We have too much stuff. We ended up with not only our stuff, but also a house full of stuff from Eric's grandfather when he passed and we had to clear out the house. I was pregnant and didn't have the ability to sort/purge as well as I would have liked. It was also a sensitive time for Hubby, and he had a lot of memories wrapped up in some of that stuff. With a bit of time and distance it has become easier for him to let things go. So deep cleaning and "stuff removal" has also been on the agenda.
When I need a break from that, I get back to the sewing. The sooner I get the cleaning done, the sooner I can do mostly sewing with my free time!
As for fabric favorites, the only ones that I don't gravitate towards are the civil war era ones and the bolder prints. Not to say I wouldn't if it was for somebody who liked those styles, but they aren't my thing.

Monique
January 28th, 2016, 04:56 PM
I had to get to work early this morning and I was on here before you were Blondie. I received my package from Mom23, she gifted me with the Butterfly Forest layer cake. Oh so beautiful. Maizyn wants a purple butterfly quilt for her birthday. I still don't know how it will all come together yet. Any suggestions?

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Kat Smith
January 29th, 2016, 01:59 AM
I had to get to work early this morning and I was on here before you were Blondie. I received my package from Mom23, she gifted me with the Butterfly Forest layer cake. Oh so beautiful. Maizyn wants a purple butterfly quilt for her birthday. I still don't know how it will all come together yet. Any suggestions?

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Monique, I really like the look of the Disappearing Pinwheel 5, it sorta looks like butterflies. I would love to make one. Can't wait till my granddaughters are old enough to place orders, can't go wrong that way.

Kathy

redcaboose1717
January 29th, 2016, 05:50 AM
I took a peek at the Butterfly Forest Layer Cakes that MSQC has ....and this one is really pretty !
PATT # -C KYLA MAY PTY. LTD. for Timeless Treasures
How about using the Disappearing Pinwheel 5, along with using some of the butterflies from the fabric ..and then applique' them on plain colored squares ?

I went online to look for the Butterfly Forest Layer Cake, and of course there was also actual ideas for BUTTERFLY cakes ! Here's a video ( from Betty Crocker ) on how to construct a Butterfly cake from round cakes. Thought it would be a great B-day cake too !

How to Make a Butterfly Cake - Betty Crocker (http://www.bettycrocker.com/videos/videolibrary/birthday-cakes/how-to-make-a-butterfly-cake#)!

Here's something I also found on Pinterest too:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/334744184774261834/

Monique
January 29th, 2016, 08:43 AM
I took a peek at the Butterfly Forest Layer Cakes that MSQC has ....and this one is really pretty !
PATT # -C KYLA MAY PTY. LTD. for Timeless Treasures
How about using the Disappearing Pinwheel 5, along with using some of the butterflies from the fabric ..and then applique' them on plain colored squares ?

I went online to look for the Butterfly Forest Layer Cake, and of course there was also actual ideas for BUTTERFLY cakes ! Here's a video ( from Betty Crocker ) on how to construct a Butterfly cake from round cakes. Thought it would be a great B-day cake too !

How to Make a Butterfly Cake - Betty Crocker (http://www.bettycrocker.com/videos/videolibrary/birthday-cakes/how-to-make-a-butterfly-cake#)!

Here's something I also found on Pinterest too:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/334744184774261834/

Isn't it absolutely gorgeous?