PDA

View Full Version : Looney Night Owl

toggpine
January 28th, 2016, 02:39 AM
I'm about done in. I know these things shouldn't be so hard, but sometimes figuring out how to jump through all of the hoops can make it seem unending.
Insurance plans straighten out.
Tax return filed, rejected, fixed, refilled and accepted.
Airline tickets purchased, just missing the super cheap fares, but getting not too bad of rates.

It's just been one of those days. Here is to tomorrow being better! I'll sit and stitch a bit while I watch Code Black, then hit the hay.

I hope all is well in your tree!
Hugs, Cathy

sewlucky
January 28th, 2016, 02:48 AM
I'm just about ready to hit the hay too. I've had foggy migraine brain all week so far - we've had funky warm january weather that I'm sure is partially responsible. I spent the day at home working on homework. I just took my time since concentration was really a struggle.

I feel your pain on the paperwork thing - insurance and taxes really can be a huge hassle! We booked a trip the other week to visit our daughter and got great fares on a seat sale for our flights and a really good early season deal on the motorhome rental we decided on. We are pretty excited about it!

I'm looking forward to getting some sewing in - maybe tomorrow evening I will get in there and sew a few rows.

Rest well all!
Terri

bubba
January 28th, 2016, 02:55 AM
I love Code Black!!! It's like ER on steroids!

I've been having a putzy seven days.....have not been able to sew since last Thursday when I was wrestling with a bag and rescrewed up my neck (from an old injury). Thought it was better today so went up and got the lining sewed, but when it came to turning things inside out, I could not even do that, so I was done after ten minutes.

The America's Quilt has been calling my name and I so want to get started on it! I got both the first and second months fabric for the blocks (eight each month), so I have 16 to get sewn from the get go. At least they are simple and should fly by.

sewlucky
January 28th, 2016, 02:59 AM
What does the America's quilt look like Pat?

Cowgirl quilter
January 28th, 2016, 03:02 AM
Hi, owls. Sitting here watching old episodes of Rehab Addict and Fixer Upper, and wishing I could borrow these people for awhile. The main house on this place could use a complete overhaul. Not old and cool like the ones on TV, though, just boring 1970's built house that has seen a lot of living and not much fixing up. Someday, maybe....

Spent most of the day playing with my Gracie frame, trying to build up some accuracy. My arms are tired, but I am learning. Lesson for today, "put the presser foot down!!!"

Stationarymom, hope your Dad is on the mend. Toggpine, my DH would sympathize, he has been working on the same things. Looney indeed. The rest of you all, have a good night. Kathleen

stationarymom
January 28th, 2016, 03:17 AM
I hope I didn't miss all the owls tonight.My Dad is slowly getting better and responding to meds.The Dr. told him today that if his fever stays gone and his cultures come back good they might let him go home tomorrow.He doesn't sound to sure about going home because he will be alone and doesn't know if he is ready to take care of himself yet.I wish I could be there with him,it's so hard being here while he's there.He will be able to go through all the steps of taking care of himself it's just a question of will he remember to.These infections have made him very tired and weak so I know he will sleep a lot and might not remember to drink as much as he should.I want to thank everyone that kept him in their prayers and thoughts.

snippet
January 28th, 2016, 03:28 AM
I'm here snug in my nest. It was a cold but nice day down here. Yesterday it rained all afternoon and into the evening. Good thing too, I took my car into the shop for some repairs early in the morning. When it was ready I walked over to pick it up - 3 miles is a nice walk. Just as I got into the parking lot, it began to rain. I was so lucky and didn't get soaked.

Today was a pj day. I made a pot of chicken & dumplings and sorted through some scraps of fabric. I'm getting ready to start the Town & Country 365 quilt. I've been watching all the wonderful blocks on the Facebook group and want to get started on the blocks. Then I watched reruns of Breaking Bad while hand embroidering some candle mats.

Terri: Hope your migraine goes away. I hate them too.

kimsophia
January 28th, 2016, 04:51 AM
Today I got the last of the floating hexagon units sewed. After this is cutting the sashing and little cornerstones. I made around 294 units. The one Jenny showed on the tutorial was 81 units and measured 60" x 78". So 294 should make....a big quilt? :D lol I dunno, I can't do the math. I just keep laying it on top of the bed and when it hangs down enough, I quit. :D

bubba
January 28th, 2016, 04:57 AM
What does the America's quilt look like Pat?

Here is a link to it. It has 50 blocks, set on point. All the blocks are identical in layout, but the fabric for each is different. The main fabric for each block is the state flower, then the center block is white, as is the sashing. The four squares around the white center are pin dots. I have all the white plus all the pin dots for the entire quilt, and the binding. I pick up the rest of the fabric every month and it is for eight blocks. I think I am going to use South Dakota for the backing as that is where my parents were from and I like the dark purple fabric.

In The Beginning (http://www.inthebeginningfabrics.com/cgi-server/itb/displaybooks.cgi?product=bkamrcsgrdnqult)

MayinJerset
January 28th, 2016, 05:33 AM
Something woke me up about an hour ago and I couldn't get back to sleep so here I am looney because my body wants to sleep and lonely because everyone has gone to their tree holes to sleep.

OH, Taxes! This year I won't let DH get out of his promise to have someone do them for us as we're always being audited for minor errors he has made. We'll have enough problems when the 2015 medical bills start coming in.

Just received an email about the Lancaster PA quilt show in mid March. A group of us met on Alex Anderson's old forum and have been meeting for the show for close to 15 years. We attend the show, shop all those wonderful fabric shops and at night hang out in each others rooms. This year's challenge is to make a quilt that is 3 times as long as it is wide - say 10" X 30". Might be a good size for a table runner for a long narrow table.

Going to close my eyes and try to get some more sleep so Nighty Night125073.

Granny Judy
January 28th, 2016, 06:39 AM
Our local museum has a collection of quilts on display this month and I am hoping to get to see them. Got a friend who is also interested, so we are gonna make a day trip to see them... Just waiting for her to respond about when she is free to go.

Otherwise I just keep pluggin' away with quilting the Quatrefoil. Only a little left to go and then I can bind it. I'll be glad to get this one off to it's new home. I have so many other tops I want to make... Looking at all my fabric stash, I think I need to get busy using it up..... It's like having a dollar in your pocket when you were a kid... can't wait to "spend" it.

Judy, USMC
January 28th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Glad Dad is on the mend, Joan. And hope everyone who is suffering by being ill or just having the blahs get better.

Day 3 and still plugging on paperwork! Finally finished 2014 and ready to start 2015. Hope to remember to keep anything tax deductible. Will probably stay up most of the rest of this night and then tweet with the early birds. Luckily Code Black is on demand here - OOoppps - spoke too soon. The cable company just decided to reboot (insert pirate words.) Wadda they think everyone is asleep?

Off to get some coffee to help me through til daybreak.

kimsophia
January 28th, 2016, 08:08 AM
I guess I will head to bed. I had some coffee around 7:30 to keep me awake for two NBA games. The Bulls play tonight! :)

toggpine
January 28th, 2016, 01:23 PM
This year's challenge is to make a quilt that is 3 times as long as it is wide - say 10" X 30". Might be a good size for a table runner for a long narrow table.

Have you seen the bed runners? They drape across the foot of the bed. I would guess they are easier to change out for the different seasons.
Although, I can't seem to get any of the quilts made for our own beds in this house! Some are soooo close, but you know how personal projects always seem to get put to the back burner!
Then there are dresser scarves.
I have also seen a table cloth that had a row of buttons and holes worked into it to expand the cloth to cover the table when the leaves are added. Could you do something similar with a table runner? Add them together for a longer runner or unbutton them and use the ends as end table mats or pads under serving bowls/platters.
I'm sure you will come up with something fantastic!

MayinJerset
January 28th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Cathy, I hear you about making quilts for ourselves. Since last January I've had a big box sitting under our dining table, in the box are the fabrics that I planned to use a quilt for our queen size bed. The twin and double beds in our upstairs bedrooms each have a quilt on them that I made but I have a store bought one on our bed. Making a bed runner might be just the right thing for our group's challenge and it could be put on our bed over the cream colored Matisse cover we use in the summer.

sewlucky
January 28th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Here is a link to it. It has 50 blocks, set on point. All the blocks are identical in layout, but the fabric for each is different. The main fabric for each block is the state flower, then the center block is white, as is the sashing. The four squares around the white center are pin dots. I have all the white plus all the pin dots for the entire quilt, and the binding. I pick up the rest of the fabric every month and it is for eight blocks. I think I am going to use South Dakota for the backing as that is where my parents were from and I like the dark purple fabric.

In The Beginning (http://www.inthebeginningfabrics.com/cgi-server/itb/displaybooks.cgi?product=bkamrcsgrdnqult)

So pretty! That will be a great quilt!

sewlucky
January 28th, 2016, 03:25 PM
I hope I didn't miss all the owls tonight.My Dad is slowly getting better and responding to meds.The Dr. told him today that if his fever stays gone and his cultures come back good they might let him go home tomorrow.He doesn't sound to sure about going home because he will be alone and doesn't know if he is ready to take care of himself yet.I wish I could be there with him,it's so hard being here while he's there.He will be able to go through all the steps of taking care of himself it's just a question of will he remember to.These infections have made him very tired and weak so I know he will sleep a lot and might not remember to drink as much as he should.I want to thank everyone that kept him in their prayers and thoughts.

Good to hear that your dad is feeling better each day. Hopefully they will keep him a day or two longer, but hospitals are usually not so keen to do that these days. Sending healing thoughts, and hoping he's feeling well again soon!

Terri