PDA

View Full Version : Bridal Shower Ideas?

sewlucky
January 26th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Hello! I have offered to host a bridal shower for my new daughter-in-law. The wedding will be held at the end of July, so I'm planning for mid-June for the shower. She doesn't have a ton of close girl friends, but she does have a fairly large family - aunts, cousins, etc. The groom's side of the family (my family) is smaller, with fewer people in town.

I'm trying to decide what is the best bridal shower ideas for new brides these days. The old idea of the bridal shower was to help the young couple set up a household, but these days many of the couples are already living together, including my son and daughter-in-law.

What are some of the fun ideas for bridal showers that you've heard about (or attended) lately?

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Terri

Vonnie
January 26th, 2016, 12:19 PM
I have not attended one in a long time. But, my sons have. It seems that today it's not just for girls but boys too. So why not make it one big party with games that both boys and girls like. charades come to mind. Trivial pursuit. My boys have been invited to both wedding showers and baby showers.

If they are planning a honeymoon why not items that they can enjoy on their trip.
Gift cards to their favorite store or entertainments. Movie tickets are always a big hit.

Also, maybe a signature quilt that they can all sign.

Think outside the box. What do they both love.

SallyO'Sews
January 26th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Yes, there are lots of "Jack-and-Jill" showers nowadays. I've been to some showers lately, where they have games that help the guests get to know the bride and groom. Among them are "How well do you know ____ ?" Hand out questionnaires and pens and ask 10 to 20 questions about the bride (can be anything from her middle name to favorite ice cream to where the couple met to first pet) or "Wedding A to Z" where you have to write down something to do with a wedding for every letter of the alphabet (R is for Ring, etc.). Another fun one at an all-ladies event I attended was to give every guest a plastic bead necklace (like Mardi Gras beads or the "pearl" ones you can get at the dollar store) upon arrival. The rule is that you're not allowed to say the bride's name, the groom's name, or any other wedding-related words listed on each table. If you catch someone breaking the rule, they have to give you their necklace (if they have more than one, they must give them all up). At the end of the party, the guest with the most necklaces wins.

I realize that it's your son who is getting married, but perhaps you can enlist the help of the bridesmaids to organize the games? One less thing for you to have to do. You can probably find a gazillion ideas by Googling "bridal shower games." Try getting some pretty candles or hand lotions and put them in gift bags as prizes.

Have fun, and I hope you enjoy every moment of the preparations for the big event!

Judy, USMC
January 26th, 2016, 01:00 PM
At a shower I went to last year they had Bath & Body works lotions as prizes ... and every winner appreciated getting something they would actually use.

They did have several quick games and 15 questions about the couple was one of them. Naturally the bridesmaids won that. But then it was followed by 15 about just him - so someone from his side of the family won followed by 15 about her with her side of the family winning. Kept the party interesting and fun and everyone got to know more about the couple.

laura44
January 26th, 2016, 01:47 PM
I threw a shower for my daughter in law last year. I let the maid of honor
do the games. Sounds corny, but the make-a-wedding-dress-out-of-toilet paper
was super fun. Everyone had to be on a team and we laughed thru the whole thing.
You could make it a gift card shower or date night shower. Have everyone sign a quilt
block. (have her pick out a pattern before). We had a sweet table with an assortment
of desserts. Don't stress too much.

sewlucky
January 26th, 2016, 02:24 PM
I love the ideas everyone, thanks so much! I really like the Date Night Shower idea :) I also like the idea of having a Jack and Jill event, where the guys and the gals can come. I'm not terribly stressed over the event, really just want it to be fun and meaningful.

Terri

alliek
January 26th, 2016, 03:19 PM
I have no ideas for you, you have a wonderful boatload of them on this thread though. Enjoy the process and the event!