PDA

View Full Version : How Much Snow Did You Get?

JCY
January 24th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Just wondering how you folks on the east coast are doing after the big "Snowzilla" of a snow storm this week-end?

I reviewed snow totals from Fox 5 dc on the web; it looks like most folks got anywhere from 14" to 30" in most areas. Dulles Airport in DC had their 2nd snowiest total: 28.3"; JFK got 30.5". Baltimore broke a record; they got 29.2". My DS lives in MD, close to Chesapeake Bay, so they got a little less, ~16". Both of his neighbors who have snow blowers had equipment failures; they usually help out the neighbors with snow removal. So it's just him & his college age dau. to manually dig out this a.m. A few roads are open & the travel ban lifted, but it's going to take time for things to get up & running. Many businesses & public transportation are shut down for tomorrow. He needs to drive his dau. back to the univ. in College Park following Christmas break. Fortunately, their power stayed on during the storm.

I hope everyone is safe & warm.

Carlie Wolf
January 24th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I'm not quite sure just yet. I believe we got around 25" although I've heard some other places in WV got 40" but not sure how true that is. Last night around 3AM a smaller town truck plowed a car path down our side road. The sheriff lives across the street from us so I think that was so he could get to work. His sheriff's car is still plowed in though but other cops pick him up. Here's a pic of my car that my sister took yesterday. I'm not sure when the guy is coming to start shoveling since I don't think he could find a spot to park his truck . 124906

quiltingtrish
January 24th, 2016, 03:32 PM
23" here in Newport, PA. Even though DH got my car and driveway dug out, the road is a mess for us to get on the main roads. Other people will drive on it, but people that know me already know I will be walking to work for the rest of this week at least. I am trying to look at it as a good thing - it's called exercise - which I don't get enough of.
I am ready for Spring though!!

KPH
January 24th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Didn't get a lot of snow, but a lot of sleet on top of what snow we had. I'd say about 3" total here... nothing compared to most, yet we're on day three not leaving the house.

100 of the snowballed rectangles for Esther's Under the Stars quilt done. Second hundred stacked on the sewing machine ready to start.

Cathy F
January 24th, 2016, 04:10 PM
I would say we got almost two feet of snow with drifts in the front of the house much higher. Had to go out the back door as the drifts at the front door were too high it get it open.

quiltingtrish
January 24th, 2016, 04:35 PM
I heard you guys got hit hard, Cathy. Be safe out there.

Iris Girl
January 24th, 2016, 04:37 PM
lower Hudson Valley we got less then an inch

bubba
January 24th, 2016, 05:30 PM
BIG FAT ZERO HERE!!!!!!

songbird857
January 24th, 2016, 06:45 PM
A dusting here, but just 2 hours east (Cape Cod) they got a foot, 2 hours south (NY) a foot...!

ejgilly
January 24th, 2016, 07:19 PM
We got about 23" here in my part of Chester Co. PA, drifts up to 5 ft! Our neighbor came over with his snowblower this morning and cleared our driveway for us. Hubby offered him gas and he refused. Later it took my son and hubby 2 hours to get the two cars uncovered. Is it spring yet?

Carolyn
January 24th, 2016, 07:21 PM
We are up atop Big Bend mountain in WV, 30+ inches here.

bubba
January 24th, 2016, 08:17 PM
We got about 23" here in my part of Chester Co. PA, drifts up to 5 ft! Our neighbor came over with his snowblower this morning and cleared our driveway for us. Hubby offered him gas and he refused. Later it took my son and hubby 2 hours to get the two cars uncovered. Is it spring yet?

Why didn't you blow the snow off the cars??? I saw a video last night of people doing that....looked like a brilliant idea!

ejgilly
January 24th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Snow was too heavy and also nothing to blow it off with.

Suzette
January 24th, 2016, 08:29 PM
None here, but I live in Florida. Hope everyone who did see the white stuff are safe, sound and snuggled under a quilt.

Ginny B
January 24th, 2016, 08:41 PM
124933124934 First picture is my backyard, second picture is from my front door this morning. Neighbor kids came by and dug through the drift so we could get off our porch. Last #'s I heard last night was around 28" by us.

We are getting an oil delivery on Wednesday so we needed to be sure they could get the side gate open to get to the tank. The drift there was almost waist deep on me. But we got it done.

Tired tonight for sure.

Sylvia H
January 24th, 2016, 10:06 PM
I am pretty sure we got the expected 24". It is hard to tell because of the drifts. Out my back door, the snow was more than waist high because of drifting! My neighbor shoveled my driveway this morning, and my son did the back yard this evening. I need the backyard available for my dog.

MayinJerset
January 24th, 2016, 10:25 PM
Not sure but looks like close to 2 feet - DH said in places out front it was waist high and he's tall. Both exit doors were blocked by drifts but that didn't worry us as we can get out through our garage. This morning our next door neighbor cleared our driveway and walk to front door before DH could get outside so that was a big help. DH cleared my car so we'll be able to keep our appointment on Monday as roads here are clear.

Police reported their main activity on Saturday was towing cars out of snow drifts so the plows could do their work. Where were all those people going during a blizzard? We had much advanced warning about the severity of the storm and when it was expected to hit our area but some people just have to live dangerously and drive a very slippery roads. Has your car ever slid out of control on an icy road? Really scary experience and one that I have enough sense to avoid if possible.

quiltingtrish
January 24th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Here is one of DH snow blowing the driveway. Worth every penny.
I also agree on the snow being too heavy to blow the snow off the cars. He tried that too, but it was too heavy to blow.

BethB
January 24th, 2016, 10:29 PM
We had a good 30"+ here - much more than was originally predicted. Only one lane has been plowed down our street and we can't use the back door as there are too many 4'-5' drifts in that area. Hubby used the snowblower to do part of the front walk and I shoveled the rest of the way and the front porch and step. The drifts were so high there it was hard to throw the snow I was shoveling up on top of them. The snow left from the plows one path came up to my husband's shoulder (he's 6 ft tall). The driveway is plowed out now but when they return, maybe tonight, tomorrow, or sometime, will close the driveway again with probably more snow than that.

MayinJerset
January 24th, 2016, 10:44 PM
Beth said,"The driveway is plowed out now but when they return, maybe tonight, tomorrow, or sometime, will close the driveway again with probably more snow than that. "

Don't you just hate that? No houses on the other side of our street but the plows always pile the snow on our side of the street and our driveways are plowed in again. One year DH was shoveling that snow back into the road and the guy driving the plow had the police caution DH. Cop was sympatric and told DH not to do it when the plow was near by.

SallyO'Sews
January 24th, 2016, 11:06 PM
Here in Connecticut (which is a tiny bit of real estate, for you across the pond folks), we were on the far northern edge of the storm: 2 - 4 inches here in the Hartford area, but virtually none 20 miles north of us, and over a foot 40 miles south of here!

buckeyequilter
January 24th, 2016, 11:43 PM
Doin' the happy dance.....no snow for us!!!