PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl feeling old

CraftHer
January 23rd, 2016, 02:21 AM
Feeling old and tired tonight. I'm not that old (50) and I shouldn't feel this tired. Got some not very surprising news at the dr. I've let my weight get out of hand and the big D is looming. I know what I need to do (eat less carbs, more veggies and walk more). So why don't I? I know that others have bigger problems to deal with. Just a little pity party tonight. Tomorrow (or, rather, today) is a new day!

At least I'm not partying in the snow. We've lucked out and the snow seems to have passed us by, this time. Praying for those who are digging out. My DH bought a snow blower over the summer from his cousin who had the good sense to move to FL before winter. I'm hoping it gathers dust in the garage all winter!

Stay warm fellow night owls.

sewlucky
January 23rd, 2016, 02:34 AM
I'm turning 47 next week and feel tired and old these days too. Winter doesn't help. I joined Weight Watchers a few weeks ago and am enjoying the challenge of getting healthier. My neurologist recommended I try to lose weight to help fight my migraines, but also to avoid some of the many health risks being too heavy brings. You can get healthier too CraftHer! One day at a time :)

Terri

MomGram
January 23rd, 2016, 02:37 AM
If you have a smart phone download the app MyFitnessPal. It has really helped me. My sister and I have been using it for 5 months now. My sister has lost 50lbs and I've lost 40lbs. Set smaller goals like 20lbs and then when you reach it take a few days to enjoy it before setting the next one. We are also using a step tracker and try to get in some steps everyday. I've still got a loooong way to go but I'm just doing what I can each day and if I have a bad day I start again tomorrow. I've never been able to do this usually when I have a bad day I quit but this time it has been different. Good luck and you can do it.

sewlucky
January 23rd, 2016, 02:42 AM
Nice work MomGram!! One meal, one day at a time. I don't talk about cheating, I talk about living. Life involves good food and celebration sometimes it's all about learning balance. I hope to be down 40lbs too in 5 months!

Terri

stationarymom
January 23rd, 2016, 03:05 AM
Hoot to all the owls tonight.Today must have been the day for the Dr. I had a physical today and am waiting for lab results.She didn't scold me she even told me that some of the meds I take could be causing my weight problem That just made me feel frustrated because I don't know if I'll ever lose weight.I had to be on a liquid diet for 6 mos. once and only lost 10 lbs living off of chicken and beef broth and jello.
We're going to miss the big storm this time thank goodness. I hope everyone else hunkers down until it's over make sure to stay warm.

GaGa
January 23rd, 2016, 03:21 AM
Hoot hoot to everyone. I thought maybe I was the only tired and chubby quilter! I'm considerably older than some (65) but still working, eating too much and not getting enough exercise! We all know "what" we need to do - it's just doing it that's a problem! I was going to begin getting healthier the first of the year (like everyone else) but had that awful cough where you feel like you might cough up a lung! So, I'm aiming for Feb. 1! Good luck to everyone trying to lose weight and get healthier! I will try to sew instead of eat!

kimsophia
January 23rd, 2016, 03:42 AM
I'm watching the snowfall totals: PNS Map (http://www.weather.gov/lwx/pnsmap?type=snow) I do hope the power stays on for y'all. I once went without power for three days after an ice storm and it shut down the water too as I was on a farm and the well pump was electric. Oh, fun times...lol Good thing I could drive into town and shower at a friend's apartment. And haul water jugs!

The floating hexagons keep progressing well. I'll be cutting more background fabric pieces soon as the hexagon units could be assembled before the weekend is over. I'm really liking this quilt being easy. I should have done this level before the squares on point!

Judy, USMC
January 23rd, 2016, 04:51 AM
Guess I'm the oldest (67) of the group to check in - and I'm in the "lose some pounds to get healthy" club. Also have to schedule a visit with the doctor after I get my labs done. Haven't seen him in over a year - and spent most of 2015 sitting on the couch next to my terminally ill sister-in-law.

I've had problems with my thyroid for quite some time. And I believe he'll increase my med again. Hope that will help because I've only lost 5lbs since the end of Sept.

Hope everyone stays warm and no one loses electricity so those sewing machines can still hummmmm.

RockinLou
January 23rd, 2016, 06:45 AM
Hello friends, I don't know if you're still hooting, I'm younger than you, 36, and I could stand to loose about 5-10 pounds and get more exercise!! I think it's just part of being human, but I work too much and it is too dark out here to get exercise in when we are home from work. (I prefer to take a long healthy walk, but that's tough when the sun sets before 6pm)

I'm improving my work/live balance though, so I hope to get back on track within the next month, as the days get longer, I'll snatch up those extra minutes! DH is doing a better job of coming home on time too, so that should help me a lot!!

I am sewing up costumes for the school musical, I have a few hours that I can squeeze something in while I wait for the babysitter to come, DH and I have a long overdue date night!

MayinJerset
January 23rd, 2016, 06:55 AM
I'm feeling old too but since I just turned 80 I guess that is to be expected. I lost a lot of weight last year but it was the hard way by being sick. Now the trick is to keep the weight off. Let's hope we're all successful and we keep losing.

Almost 5am and I'm up for the day. Been snowing here since last night so we should have quite a few inches. Too dark out to get a good look but it's real white out there. Just the thought of a huge snowfall makes me want a big mug of hot chocolate which might replace my morning coffee the next few days. Keep warm and safe everyone.

RockinLou
January 23rd, 2016, 07:09 AM
Just the thought of a huge snowfall makes me want a big mug of hot chocolate which might replace my morning coffee the next few days. Keep warm and safe everyone.

I've been known to combine the two... YUM... but not so good for that weightloss plan!! LOL!

Carol336
January 23rd, 2016, 07:58 AM
Diet and excercise will definitely turn your numbers around. Take it from someone thats been there - the hardest part is making the decision to committ to a life style change. But once you do make that decision it really will get easier.

Oh 50 is still pretty young....been there...many many years ago!!!! Thought it was old then, wish I was 50 now....just saying. And that brat Terri - 47 - so jealous.

Good lord - just read the rest of the posts and guess who's the oldest one here - 71 !!!! Man - I hate when that happens. But then when you think of the alternative - it aint so bad - LOL

Off to make a big pot of chicken noodle soup and watch the snow fall.

grammaterry
January 23rd, 2016, 01:38 PM
I'll be 68 in a few months and have put on a lb for every quilt I made in 2015. My goal is to take off a lb. for every one I make this year. I'm just not moving around as much as I used to and summer was so hot and dry , I neglected my flowers and opted to sew instead. Got to get the balance back in my life. Maybe I should take up snow shoveling this week. lol

toggpine
January 23rd, 2016, 02:39 PM
I think May has us on the age bit, but she is one feisty lady!

I managed to drop a bunch of weight when I was taking dancing lessons. An hour long lesson three nights a week, and three or four hours of dancing on Fridays nights certainly was a workout! Sadly, Hubby isn't such a dance enthusiast, but he loves my cooking. All 50 pounds that I lost have tracked me back down and brought a few of their friends.
I know that the secret to my body losing weight is going to be the evil Exercise. I have to see if they are still offering the free Zumba classes at one of the churches in the area. That would probably be the best way to drop this extra weight. Ugh.
I'm gonna go sew. This talk of weight loss and exercise have done me in!

jjkaiser
January 23rd, 2016, 05:22 PM
You can do it! I lost 30# last year, it took me 7 months but I did it. Not for health reasons my clothes were just getting too tight, could hardly zip some of my pants up and I just didn't wanna go out and buy bigger sizes! Mostly it was just common sense, and willpower. No second helpings, limited bread to about 3 slices per week, pasta not more than once a week, no dessert. I ate a bit more salad although I am not a big salad person, tried to eat more veg. Religiously take my dog for a one hour walk five days a week. But no other exercise, don't swim or belong to a gym or anything. My two biggest downfalls are Lays potato chips and vanilla ice cream so they were not allowed in the house. Ever! My willpower is not quite that strong. And now I have the opposite problem, my clothes are too loose. I had to buy jeans two sizes smaller.

judimccl
January 24th, 2016, 01:13 AM
Be careful and do everything the doctor tells you. And you definitely are not old = you have just entered middle age. Heck, I am 73 and the smartest thing I did lately was move into a third floor apartment in a no elevator building - I am forced to get exercise lol. Will say some prayers for you that you health and weight get better. :icon_wave:

KarenC
January 24th, 2016, 09:34 AM
You can do it. I lost 35 with WW a few years ago. Getting ready to start back to lose 10 that came back. Do it for you, not anyone else. 50 is still young. I started walking half marathons at 55, and learned that for every pound you lose, you take 4 pounds of pressure off of your knees. Man did that make a difference. I will be 60 this year and have already scheduled a walk for New Years Day, you always have a support group ready to encourage goodness here, no judging.let's do this together!