PDA

View Full Version : It's Friday

Monique
January 22nd, 2016, 08:18 AM
Good morning dear friends. Blondie may be snowed in with no internet.

What did I do yesterday, hmmm. Oh yes, took some things to the rummage sale. I bought an old rotary dial telephone for $2. These babies sell from upwards $20 at antique stores. If my power goes out at least I still have a phone. We don't have cell phone service out here in the boonies. AND I can't be without a phone.

After auditioning quilting stencils, I decided on the most simple, wavy lines. In each block, the lines will go in opposite directions. I will have to take pictures so you can see what I mean.

Today, Les and I are headed to Walmart. We each have a gift card that we need to spend. I may take him out for lunch if he is a good boy.

Les has to stay with the momma tomorrow night. He kind of hinted that he wanted me to stay too. I really don't want to. I have a hard time enough sleeping in my own bed by myself. We shall see.

All of you in the path of this recent snow storm, stay safe wherever you are. We are lucky, we are not getting any of it up here, thank you.

Have a great day everyone. SMILE, it's free.

Jean Sewing Machine
January 22nd, 2016, 08:38 AM
Hello, friends! The big snow is east and south of St. Louis, but I am thinking of all of you who are in its path. The radar showed the whole state of North Carolina in blue and dark blue, so I imagine Blondie is really knee deep ( or deeper!) by now!

I had an adventure in frustration yesterday. I had my quilt that I wanted to finish by Saturday on the longarm frame. I needed to fill some bobbins before I started, but I took my needle out first. Wound the bobbins using a very high speed. When I was ready to start by inserting the needle, the needle screw had loosened and flew out! I looked around on the floor and it was nowhere in sight! This set up is near my basement floor drain, so I feared the worse! So frustrating! Called two longarm dealers nearby, no such replacement part in town! Found one about 150 miles away, yes, he would overnight it at an exorbitant cost! In frustration, I got down on the floor said a little prayer, and there it was, right before my eyes! Was it there all along, or did the Big Guy upstairs put it there? I prefer to believe the latter, He wanted the quilt to be completed for my friend, but wanted to remind me who is really in charge! Who knew quilting could be a spiritual experience?

I also got my sewing room painted ready for new carpet today! Quilt finished, room painted-- what looked like a bust of a day turned out OK!

Stay safe in the snow, you East Coast folks! Have a great day!

songbird857
January 22nd, 2016, 08:48 AM
Good morning...
We've dodged the snow bullet this time, not expecting more than a few inches here. Thinking about Blondie and others in the path.
Monique, have fun on your date with Les ;)
Jean - I'm so glad you found the part that fell! Sometimes I do believe that God does things like that to prove that it's not what you know, it's WHO you know ;)
My friend is coming over today and I'm going to work with her sewing some blocks :)
I caved to temptation last night when I saw the email from Swoon with the new 'Harriett' tote - I just love it, the size, the zippers on the side, everything! I may make one this weekend if I can squeeze it in.
Have a great day and weekend everyone!

Ginny B
January 22nd, 2016, 09:03 AM
Good morning and Happy Friday. I am ready for whatever snow comes our way. We are not going to be getting all that much but it will not be a day for going out and about so we've got all food supplies, candles and oil lamps at the ready just in case, and, of course, lots of fabric to keep me happily sewing away. And, if we lose power and I can't use my sewing machine (I really need a treadle machine), I have hexies I can work on or I can knit.

Tonight we will be having dinner with my sis and her boyfriend that had to be put off last weekend because bf was not feeling well. We were a bit concerned that it would be cancelled again tonight because of the storm but since it won't be starting to snow until tomorrow morning, we are good to go.

Be safe all who are in the path of this storm.

RFREE
January 22nd, 2016, 10:22 AM
Good snowy windy morning to you all. We are getting dumped on this morning. The snow has drifted to the top of my front porch. The wind is blowing so hard I'm afraid the back porch swing is gonna slap the house. I have taken some pictures I will post here in a bit. I do not like it at all. Lucky lucky you songbird. I wish we could have dodged the bullet.
Glad you found your screw Jean. Funny thing when I misplace something in my sewing room I always say; out loud mind you; "PUT IT BACK MOMMA!" I sometimes think momma is in there with me pulling pranks. SHe was quite the prankster in her day. I miss her so much. It has been 11 years.
Monique I have told the girls at work if I ever find a dial phone at a yard sale I am going to buy it ,bring it to work and plug it up for the elementary kids. They crack me up when they ask to use our cordless. They look at it like they have no idea how to use it and 90% have to be told. I laugh at their reaction. I know a rotary phone would have an epic reaction.
Yall have a great day.
Hugs from Ky
Rhonda

JCY
January 22nd, 2016, 11:36 AM
Rhonda ~ We still have 1 rotary phone! The white wall phone was in the house when we bought it in 1977. We kept it, & it's now out in the garage. Still works. We have all land line phones, which we plan to keep. They still work when the power goes out! I think we must have a total of 9 or 10 phones scattered around the house. The ringers are turned off of some of them, like in the BRs, but the phone is available in an emergency. I carry an older model cell phone in my purse for emergencies, but I rarely use it.

Clear skies this a.m. & 21 deg. The almost full moon was setting in the west when I got up. I'm going out to lunch with a ladies' group; they're mostly widows. We get together once a mo. We alternate eating out with having potluck at someone's home.

DS & family in MD are staying home today in prep. for the big blizzard. The federal govt. & schools are closed. I hope it won't be as bad as they're predicting. Everyone, stay safe.

MayinJerset
January 22nd, 2016, 12:21 PM
After being a Night Owl for 3 hours I was able to go back to sleep for a few hours and for once I feel rested. All that snow down South has me worried about what we're in for here along the jersey shore but we'll just have to wait and see. Last blizzard I remember was February 11, 1982 when our 2nd grandchild was born. Baby, DGD Catherine, and her mom was OK snuggled up in their rooms at the hospital but dad, DS#2, had to sleep on a gurney in the hospital hallway as his car was covered with snow and the streets hadn't been cleared.

Wonder if history will repeat it self as DGD Christine, Catherine's younger sister, is expecting a baby boy in a few weeks and maybe he'll come early during the blizzard.

MRoy
January 22nd, 2016, 12:29 PM
Good morning! We've got about 1/4" of ice with snow on top of it and much more snow to come. Local forecast says we could get up to a foot of snow. The tree branches make crackling noises when the wind blows and the power lines are coated with ice and snow so I hope we don't lose power. I'm cooking & baking some this morning, just in case. I'm thankful we have city water, a gas fireplace, and a landline phone that don't rely on electricity to work.

Cathy F
January 22nd, 2016, 12:32 PM
Morning all,
Off to a late start today slept in a bit later than usual, didn't want to leave my warm bed!
Watching the weather report, seems the snow accumulation predictions are getting higher and higher each time I hear it. Went from 6" to maybe 12" now. Can just picture people running through the bread and milk aisles!
My husband has the snowblower all set to go also has gas in the tractor if that's needed. I plan on doing some serious sewing. They are predicting high winds so I hope we don't lose power. We have a generator if we do but I won't be doing any sewing.
Went to work on my kissing coin quilt yesterday and why I never saw I sewed a piece in wrong side up I'll never know, only looked at it about 50 times before I saw it! So after my rippity-do-dah session all is right again.
Off to make the bed and some housework then the day is mine.
Wishing you all a good day and safety if your in the path of the storm.

Bubby
January 22nd, 2016, 12:36 PM
Morning, Just a quick check-in to let everyone in the path of the storm know that you will be in my prayers. We dodged this bullet but we had a rough week of ice and snow. Stay safe and warm.....HUGS to you all.

ceiliam
January 22nd, 2016, 01:12 PM
Morning all, I feel for you in path of storm be careful. Not rubbing it in going to be 60 here and sunny, which is why I moved here. Spent my adult life in cold do not miss it. No big plans today hopefully some sewing or cleaning back yard. Stay safe and warm Cecelia

SewnByBee
January 22nd, 2016, 01:40 PM
124823 Hi there, just getting a minute to say hi.
Trying to get stuff done before the weather come in. Oh I have a bad feeling about this one first we're getting a lot of rain then the temps are dropping hard and fast, the wind is suppose to be rough too. It's just the right set up for Ice....... Lord, I hope not.....In 96 we had a ice storm and was out of power for two weeks.

I'll cook up a few meals now, just in case. Hope you all are making it OK.
I hope Ms Blondie is alright.

I'm trying to go through some more stuff to take to the Sunshine House to donate. I'M gonna do this at least one day a week so I can get this clutter cleaned out.

Have a grate day, stay safe and blessing for us all
.......................124826.....just saying.....

Kat Smith
January 22nd, 2016, 02:18 PM
Good Morning everyone,
Glad to hear everyone is making the needed precautions for the weather. We are in our "between a rock and hard place" situation here. The cold spell we were having has finally broken for a few days but that means lots of cloud and very little sunlight getting through. They are predicting maybe an hour or two a day for the next couple or 4 days. Hubby usually goes and stands at the back door to soak up those few min. of rays while I nag him to shut the door I'm cold, the lack of sun doesn't seem to bother me the way it does him. The temp today is -13 C/9 F but we have some wind chill so it feels like -20 C/ -4 F. Not too bad.

Having a hard time getting motivated to sew again, I guess it is more like second guessing my fabric choices. Would love to feel productive today, I have been busy with Grandkids all week and today is the first day I have nothing tugging at me. Well except Hub needs pants ironed for work this evening so he started worrying about that around 8 this morning. I keep telling him if they aren't done by 4 then he can worry. Like I've said before I love to iron so there is slim to none chance of me forgetting or not doing them. sometimes I think I just like to make him sweat a bit, or is it realize just how much he needs me. HAHAH! I guess I will go and do them right now so he can rest easy, no need making him worry all day.

Have a great day everyone and those of you who are in the path of the storm, praying that it won't be as bad as predicted and you fair well.

Kathy

KPH
January 22nd, 2016, 03:28 PM
Folks are zooming down the road, which seems strange looking out the back of the house. The porch is a mass of white snow with sleet and freezing rain on top. DS loaded the bird feeder up, so it's been very busy. The sparrows didn't stand a chance of getting in, so I took a cup of bird food and scattered it on the snow covered table. Everything from a Mourning Dove to a Wood Pecker have been enjoying the feast.

Finished up Phoebe's Flower Box,124828 now for the weather to break so I can get it sandwiched at my son's house. While I'm waiting, I'm debating on going back to the hexies, or starting to cut for Under the Stars... maybe I'll just go watch the birds for a while.

Stay safe!

toggpine
January 22nd, 2016, 06:04 PM
I've been busy this morning and have stopped for lunch.

I was outside cleaning up some stuff around the farm during a morning sun break. Apparently that wasn't allowed, as the clouds rolled in and rain dumped down. Now that I'm back inside, the sun is back out. Hmm.
I'll just keep working on the inside projects for now I guess.
I hope you all who are facing this nasty winter storm are able to stay safe and warm.
Hugs, C