PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Coming

Carolyn
January 21st, 2016, 01:38 PM
The white stuff is finally coming but did it have to wait and arrive all at once! Looks like about 2' of the stuff will start to arrive tonight. I think I will start a new table topper, make a big pot of chili and hang out by the fireplace for a few days. Anyone else in line for this storm?

Monique
January 21st, 2016, 02:29 PM
Where do you live?

Carol336
January 21st, 2016, 03:06 PM
We're in line for it here in Maryland....near Annapolis. Did our shopping yesterday and all ready to start that pot of soup, just waiting for that first flake to fall - LOL.

Went to WW this am and finally slipped into another decade - man it's like pulling hen's teeth!!!!

Everyone stay warm and dry out there!!!

Cathy F
January 21st, 2016, 03:11 PM
They say we can anticipate about 6", starting Sat. through Sunday morning. Hit the grocer's yesterday to beat the rush on the milk and bread shoppers!

Pandabear
January 21st, 2016, 03:25 PM
We had a bit of snow here in VA last night. The one day my husband decided to drive into the office (he works from home). He said when he was driving home on 95 it was nothing but accidents and people skidding off the road.

Tomorrow and Saturday we are supposed to get hit big time with snow. I'm praying we don't lose power.

alliek
January 21st, 2016, 03:43 PM
Yes Pandabear, I'm in southern Virginia and we are expecting big time snow. I will be hunkering down in the house and I too PRAY we don't lose power as it is supposed to be very cold as well. I miss the wood burning stove we had in Patchogue N.Y when we lived there. I never worried about losing power as I knew we'd be toasty warm and could even cook on the top of it. It was a Vermont Castings. Wonderful stove. Anyway, a big pot of chile and working on my new quilt for my kids 25th anniversary next fall sounds good to me! I also have a good book I'm looking forward to starting. Praying all who must go out,be careful, be safe. God Bless all.

Carolnnc
January 21st, 2016, 04:53 PM
My poor dear husband put his cold weather gear into the car, groaned several times and headed out to work at Food Lion. He is supposed to be off tomorrow and Saturday. He reminded me that I can't say a word when the employees under him just can't make it in and he has to slip and slide into work. He just prays the power doesn't go off and they lose all the perishables. The last storm we had they had to call the police because people were at the dumpsters fighting over the food they had to throw away. Hoping we just get snow and no ice. Hope everyone stays safe and warm.

Jean Sewing Machine
January 21st, 2016, 05:07 PM
I talked to a quilt store owner in Raytown, Mo, just east of KC. She said it was really snowing there this morning!

JCY
January 21st, 2016, 05:31 PM
My son lives in MD & works in downtown D.C. Not sure how the roads were today; there were reports of accidents last night after a skiff of snow slicked up the roads which were not pre-treated. He drives part way & takes the Metro downtown. Prediction is for 1-2 feet where he lives. He plans to work from home tomorrow. They have a generator in case they lose power. My DIL shopped yest. & already many of the shelves were bare or scarce. Much of the fresh produce already had been bought. I doubt if a person could buy a snow shovel or ice slicer now if they wanted to. My GrDau. was supposed to go back to the univ. this wk.-end after Christmas break, but the trip may have to wait till Sun. afternoon or even Mon. a.m., depending on road conditions. Two feet is a lot of snow! Everybody stay safe!

Pandabear
January 21st, 2016, 06:34 PM
Yes Pandabear, I'm in southern Virginia and we are expecting big time snow. I will be hunkering down in the house and I too PRAY we don't lose power as it is supposed to be very cold as well. I miss the wood burning stove we had in Patchogue N.Y when we lived there. I never worried about losing power as I knew we'd be toasty warm and could even cook on the top of it. It was a Vermont Castings. Wonderful stove. Anyway, a big pot of chile and working on my new quilt for my kids 25th anniversary next fall sounds good to me! I also have a good book I'm looking forward to starting. Praying all who must go out,be careful, be safe. God Bless all.

Doesn't NY have the best names?? I'm from Poughkeepsie originally.

As long as the power doesn't go out I'm going to play around with my Grace Frame after *finally* figuring out my bobbin tension was much too tight. I'm hoping to get an actual quilt on it soon.

bakermom
January 21st, 2016, 07:45 PM
Most will pass south of here. It is still ridiculously cold though.

Carlie Wolf
January 21st, 2016, 07:50 PM
We got about an inch yesterday. Some people were out shoveling their driveways this afternoon. I wanted to shout out the window....wait..wait until tomorrow when you get some real stuff to shovel.

We're suppose to get 12 to 18 inches tomorrow. I'm all set. Batteries - check, short-wave - check, water in washer - check, extra water bottles - check, candles - check. It's suppose to start around late morning. Oh yes and I have my battery charged book lite and a tons of books from the library.

I noticed an article that back in 1978 between January 19 and 21 we got 24 inches of snow :-)

quiltingtrish
January 21st, 2016, 08:04 PM
Never thought to fill the washer with water. We fill one of the 2 bathtubs so we can flush the toilets. We have a well so if the electric goes out so does the toilets. Forgot to buy bottled water so I'll fill some pitchers from the faucet tonight for drinking water. Also, think I will make a pot of coffee ahead of time, just in case. Need my caffeine even if it's cold.
Our storm here is to start at 7 tomorrow night. I'll have to check in the morning and see if that time is still predicted. If it's much earlier, I will probably walk into work and back. Don't want to leave my car at school for a few days. I think the latest is we are getting 12-18" with howling winds and snow drifts on Sunday. Oh well, it is winter.

MRoy
January 21st, 2016, 08:07 PM
We are expecting ice (possibly up to 1/4") tonight and 5-8" inches of snow tomorrow in our part of KY. The generator is ready in case the electricity goes off and we've got plenty of groceries. DH has put out extra feed for the cattle but I know he'll try to get out to check on them tomorrow morning too.

Carolnnc
January 21st, 2016, 08:38 PM
My poor dear husband put his cold weather gear into the car, groaned several times and headed out to work at Food Lion. He is supposed to be off tomorrow and Saturday. He reminded me that I can't say a word when the employees under him just can't make it in and he has to slip and slide into work. He just prays the power doesn't go off and they lose all the perishables. The last storm we had they had to call the police because people were at the dumpsters fighting over the food they had to throw away. Hoping we just get snow and no ice. Hope everyone stays safe and warm.

Revised the forecast for us, adding more snow than first predicted. As I read through the posts I realized I needed to get up and make preparations. Put flashlights on the bedside tables, flashlights at every door, oil lamps and matches around the house, extra quilts for the bed, charged cell phone, filled jugs with water, got kerosene heater from under the house and make 2 pitchers of tea (southern, sweet tea). The chickens had to be put in the basement to keep them warm and they were not happy. Cat thought it was a fun time though.

Carolyn
January 21st, 2016, 09:17 PM
Where do you live?
Atop the southwestern Appalachians, transplants for retirement. Beautiful, but a different way of life for sure.

BethB
January 22nd, 2016, 12:05 AM
Just checked on our forecast for south central Pennsylvania. 5-8 inches overnight on Fri, another 8-12 inches during the day on Sat, and less than an inch Sat night. Ugh!!!! Oh well, lots of time to sew, sew, sew!!!!!

Pandabear
January 22nd, 2016, 02:10 AM
I can't get an accurate prediction so it's a case of wait and see.

My DH and I are laughing already though... Tiberius is on the short side for a Labrador so it will be interesting to see him trying to get though the snow if we get a ton of it. And he's white so he might blend in. Maybe I should make him a doggie scarf so I can find him in the backyard.

stationarymom
January 22nd, 2016, 02:31 AM
Everyone in the storms path stay safe.Make sure to have batteries and candles on hand in case of power outages.We had a storm a couple of yrs ago where we lost power for 2 weeks.

stationarymom
January 22nd, 2016, 02:32 AM
If you have a snowblower you can make a couple of paths for him in the yard.That's what we do for the dog.

Monique
January 22nd, 2016, 08:10 AM
Stay safe everyone.

Pandabear
January 22nd, 2016, 02:25 PM
It's has started! The dogs are having a blast. I'm having a hot cup of coffee.

Carlie Wolf
January 22nd, 2016, 02:29 PM
Yup just started here in WV too. I'm all set. I didn't sleep well last night. I'm thinking maybe a barometer drop.

easyquilts
January 22nd, 2016, 06:01 PM
I live near Cincinnati, and the good snows usually miss us.... We do have snow on the ground, but it isn't all that much... When we have snow, I want SNOW... Piles of it. This time it's all east and south of us... Darn.

Grey Lady
January 22nd, 2016, 06:11 PM
Here in central Jersey, the storm is coming in faster than expected. It should start around 8:00 with accumulation at about 20 inches. We're bringing out the candles, replacing all the batteries, and filling the fireplace. Why, Oh why, did we not buy a portable generator?

MayinJerset
January 22nd, 2016, 07:17 PM
/Grey Lady, Where in Jersey are you? I'm in Monmouth County a little north of Red Bank.

Grey Lady
January 22nd, 2016, 07:27 PM
/Grey Lady, Where in Jersey are you? I'm in Monmouth County a little north of Red Bank.

I am West Windsor Twp. I love Red Bank, tho I haven't visited for a few years.

Carolyn
January 22nd, 2016, 08:11 PM
About 16" so far, grandson has cleared the decks and walks twice today. Snow should continue thru Sunday early am. Temps will be in the 40's next week!

MRoy
January 22nd, 2016, 08:24 PM
We've got about 16" and it's still falling. We had freezing rain this morning and there's still ice on the power lines and trees. The wind is picking up and I hope we don't lose power during the night.

MayinJerset
January 23rd, 2016, 06:38 AM
I am West Windsor Twp. I love Red Bank, tho I haven't visited for a few years.

Been down your way often as DS#2 lives in East Windsor. Nice to have another 'Jersey Girl" on the forum.

Carlie Wolf
January 23rd, 2016, 10:26 AM

Hi MayinJersey, I grew up in that area. We use to walk to Red Bank and we lived in Rumson. My sister still lives in the area, Tinton Falls. it was a great place to grow up.

Carlie Wolf
January 23rd, 2016, 10:29 AM
Not so bad here, fortunately we didn't get the wind so we didn't lose power or internet. Lots of snow though but not many people out driving. My guy will come later this afternoon or tomorrow to start the shoveling. So for me, it just looks like beautiful white stuff :-). Carlie is outside at the moment making "trails" though the backyard so my sisters little Rudy doesn't get lost out there :-)