PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Night Owl

toggpine
January 21st, 2016, 04:38 AM
Not too much productivity today.
I hate dealing with insurance companies. Well who doesn't? It just sucks the everlovin' daylight savings out of you.

Hubby came home and dropped a bomb. With airfares being so low, he wants to send Em & I to visit my grandmother and the rest of the family over Emily's spring break. I just stood in the kitchen and cried. That is a great gift, as Grandma will be 91 the week before we arrive. Eric will stay home and deal with the farm and everything that means in the spring. (I love this man!)

Now to get back in the deep-cleaning-the-house groove before kidding season arrives next month, along with my in-laws. I have several projects on the table too. Although it was nice to do something a bit different for a while. I will probably pack more cross stitch work for my next trip. It was pretty compact, and yet kept my hands busy.

I hope you all had a great day! What are you doing tomorrow?

Hugs, Cathy

bubba
January 21st, 2016, 05:11 AM
I'm going to pick up every serging scrap I can find for my adventure on Friday afternoon! hahahahahahahaha!!!!

Where will you trip be to? My youngest is trying to talk me into flying to Boston for dinner........I told her she was crazy! It's easy mom, catch the red eye, sleep on the plane, land, spend the day in Boston sightseeing, have dinner, and catch the red eye home!

Maybe if she had mentioned visiting a quilt shop or ten.......

Andrea F
January 21st, 2016, 05:14 AM
Good morning owls!

I've been sick for the past couple of days with an upset stomach and was at home. I still don't feel so great but I have to go to work today because I have class. I haven't done anything yesterday besides sleeping and watching some tv. The only thing sewing related going onn here was that I handbasted two layers of a clean cleaning cloth together and that I cut pattern pieces from the other day to use it in my next little bag. As long as they are completely unused they are quite firm and, when doubled, make a decent batting for bags that don't have to be very stiff. I used a double layer in my hubby's vanity bag and it works well, at least with pleather. And it's cheap!

Cathy, your hubby sounds like an amazing man! I'm so happy for you that you get to see your grandma, I hope you will have a wonderful time! :)

Have a good night and a wonderful day tomorrow!

bubba
January 21st, 2016, 05:25 AM
I hope you start feeling better! An ugly stomach thing went round here. My youngest grandgirl (8 yr old Alex) ended up in the ER and missed just over a week of school, as did a friends teenaged daughter. Each lost over ten pounds. Kind of wished I'd have caught it...maybe I'd have lost 20!! But seriously, they know better than to knock on our door when they are sick because of MM's impaired immune system.

I still have the Sunday bag all cut out, waiting to be sewn. Hopefully tomorrow!

Carol336
January 21st, 2016, 06:49 AM
Been up since 3:30....grrr...I hate when that happens.

Hope you're feeling better soon Andrea. Lot of stuff going round right now.....I'm trying to stay well.

We're all ready for the big snow that's supposed to come sometime tomorrow and dump at least a foot of white stuff on us. Picked up everything I need to make some chicken noodle soup....oh and a couple bottles of vino to sip while we watch the winter wonderland occur.

I haven't done much sewing lately. I'm new to quilting and decided to to the Craftsy BOM 2016....even ordered their fabric kit. But I have discovered that I simply cannot cut (or sew for that matter) straight. With my bags, pillow cases and table runner, I've been able to fudge crooked cutting and seam sewing, but with this quilting stuff I find you really have to be precise. I have cut and sewn the center block not once but twice and it still isn't happening correctly. I'm not saying I'm giving up, but I'm certainly taking a break. And now I'm gonna be short on some of the fabric to finish the project....can I just say I'm a bit frustrated.

On the bright side - I'm gonna turn the two incorrect blocks into placemats....love the fabric and they'll be so festive on our table.

I need some joe - happy hooting everyone

MayinJerset
January 21st, 2016, 08:23 AM
Woke up around 4 and knew I was 'up' for the day.
Cathy that's great news about the trip to visit your grandmother and family, you and your DD will have a great time. Where will you be flying to?

Andrea hope your illness is over so work and class aren't too difficult to get through today.

So Pat, what's your Friday adventure with scraps all about?

Like Carol I plan to make a big pot of soup to weather out the storm, it's expected to hit Jersey on Saturday.
Will double check to make sure we have enough staples to get us through the storm, we still have lots of goodies from the huge Bday basket my sisters gave me.

Today I'm meeting 3 of my cousins for lunch, my 2 sisters and brother are joining us so we should have a great time.

Getting hungry so it's time to rustle up for coffee and maybe some toast

kimsophia
January 21st, 2016, 11:34 AM
Is it too late to hoot? :) I got a lot of sleep last night after the Bulls lost another game...the quilt project is still advancing as I get more piles of hexagon units sewn in the morning light. It is sure cheery fabric. I don't have anything special purchased for the little scattered cornerstones and was considering using more of the same for those as there were a lot of scraps.

Carol, I can really relate to your frustrations. Don't give up on learning to cut and sew straight. I just on this fourth project have learned about the funky little quarter-inch foot for my machine which is helping a lot. It has a nose that projects out and you align along the side of that to hit a quarter inch and not the side of the other, regular kind of foot. Also I am getting better with cutting strips too using the June Tailor ruler. Have you ever tried glue basting? That helped me a ton on my last project. If this were easy, everybody could do it. :)

Best wishes to all getting the snow this time. I am so glad it went around us this time. Although I got the ingredients for chili at the store last night so I'll be eating soup too. :D

Carol336
January 21st, 2016, 01:16 PM
Is it too late to hoot? :)

Carol, I can really relate to your frustrations. Don't give up on learning to cut and sew straight. I just on this fourth project have learned about the funky little quarter-inch foot for my machine which is helping a lot. It has a nose that projects out and you align along the side of that to hit a quarter inch and not the side of the other, regular kind of foot. Also I am getting better with cutting strips too using the June Tailor ruler. Have you ever tried glue basting? That helped me a ton on my last project. If this were easy, everybody could do it. :)

Glad to hear that it's not just me - LOL. I'm not giving up yet....heck I still have a ton of fabric left, and more coming every day - gotta keep cutting and sewing or that stash will get ahead of me - oh wait- it already is ahead of me!!! I haven't tried glue basting.....is there a tut on it somewhere??

kimsophia
January 21st, 2016, 01:24 PM
Glue Basting Basics // Technique Tutorial Tuesday ? Pile O' Fabric (http://pileofabric.com/blogs/modern-quilting/15173677-glue-basting-basics-technique-tutorial-tuesday)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_sGpTZBBc4

Those were two that helped me! :) It totally saved my bacon on seam matching four corners together on my last quilt.

toggpine
January 21st, 2016, 03:38 PM
I'm going to pick up every serging scrap I can find for my adventure on Friday afternoon! hahahahahahahaha!!!!

Where will you trip be to? My youngest is trying to talk me into flying to Boston for dinner........I told her she was crazy! It's easy mom, catch the red eye, sleep on the plane, land, spend the day in Boston sightseeing, have dinner, and catch the red eye home!

Maybe if she had mentioned visiting a quilt shop or ten.......

Bubba is going to look at a cabinet/table that would hold her Featherweight.
It is the same lady that sold me my treadle. We were joking around and I told her that if she wouldn't give Pat the address or sell her the table, that we could drive by really slowly and toss serger scraps all over her lawn, as I have the address in my GPS from picking up the treadle.
The gal thought it was funny and was excited to acquire the scraps foe use as stuffing for decorative pillows!

My trip will take me to Tulsa, OK. Pretty dang close to Hamilton & Sandy, but I may have to head south to Dallas instead. Grammy has been spending a lot of time with my aunt outside of Dallas.

Andrea, I hope you are back to 100% soon!
All of you facing the winter storm, stay safe & warm!
Hugs, C

judimccl
January 21st, 2016, 07:38 PM
What a nice thing for your husband to do - know you will enjoy the time with your family. :icon_wave:

judimccl
January 21st, 2016, 07:39 PM
Andrea, hope you feel better. :icon_wave: