PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on our unusual life...

RockinLou
January 16th, 2016, 06:31 AM
I am raising Third Culture Kids, we fell into it out of unemployed desperation seven years ago. We love it, our lives are not what everyone expects from us, but we are a close knit family with our needs met and some sense of security. Many of our colleagues are transferring and moving on next year, we were home at Christmas, and just last week we were offered 'drop it all and come home' jobs in Atlanta. We decided to stay. In Kazakhstan. Sometimes I look at my kids and wonder how on earth the would ever fit in at 'home' and other times I look at them and wonder if they'll grow up and resent our crazy lives. But then, we aren't crazy, we're happy, safe, secure, we are expatriots in a not so exotic region that gives us just enough challenges to keep it interesting.

Here are some photos from this week... Just for fun!

ceiliam
January 16th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Good for you, if you are happy that's all that matters

Jean Sewing Machine
January 16th, 2016, 08:17 AM
I am so fascinated by your life! Good for you to do what you do! Your children will have a world view, very important!

Monique
January 16th, 2016, 09:30 AM
You have to do what is right for you and your family. Kudos to you.

lourixe
January 16th, 2016, 09:43 AM
It's your life, it's your decisions, and you have all the right to enjoy the opportunities of your "unusual" life. I think this way of living is bringing up your family closer together and your souls and your kids' are becoming richer that they would ever be if you had stayed in Atlanta. See those bright cutie faces!

LoveMyMachines
January 16th, 2016, 11:07 AM
It sound like you are enjoying a rich, fulfilling experience. I would not worry about "normal". What interesting experiences you will share!

Sandy Navas
January 16th, 2016, 11:08 AM
Mixed feelings here, having lived an expatriot life in the middle east for over 22 years . . . there's good, there's bad. Would I do it again? Probably if circumstances were what they were like when we first went there. Definitely not at my age and in the state of unrest in the middle east . . .

Kgrammiecaz
January 16th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Love the pics. You are doing what you know is good for the family. It is working, so why mess up a good thing.

GrammaBabs
January 16th, 2016, 01:55 PM
I am in awe of your lives.... I for one live a shelterd life and am very blessed. I often wonder what goes on in other worlds.... Our lives are what we make them and what makes us and all we live with happy and healthy if possible.. If you are content and it sure looks like your little ones are... then savour the moments that we have on this earth.. and know you are admired for what you do:))))

jjkaiser
January 16th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Good for you!! I am such a home body my husband can barely get me to leave the state even for a week's vacation. I would never be able to pull up and leave the USA for any extended period of time. Your children will be better for this experience, and you all look very happy there!! I just do not have your courage!

RockinLou
January 18th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your kind and supportive words.

To be honest, I was feeling a bit sentimental because when the possibility of moving "home" surfaces, I usually at least discuss it with my mother or my sister. This time around we chose not to even go there. It took us about half an hour together to decide that it wasn't worth pursuing and left it at that.

Sandy, we were in Morocco in 2009 and 2010, we loved it there, and would go back, but we have turned down jobs in Yemen, Oman, Lebanon, Kuwait and Azerbaijan in the past. I'm not sure if we'll be expats for 22 years, but our plan is for at least the next 5. Honestly, I can't imagine sending my children to public schools in the US right now for the early elementary grades, so we will continue on this path and re-evaluate closer to the Middle School and High School years.

Lourixe, you nailed it about how close our family is. We spend so much more time together than most families, we sit at the table all together for at least 2 meals a day, we never feel like we are "on the run" or "mom's taxi" and our children are, for now at least, the best of friends. This is the one thing in our lives we can't imagine giving up again, though I will say that in our community here we are seen as homebodies who like to hang out at home and keep to ourselves. It's not that we dislike others or don't ever want to be social, it's just that we are happy at home or together, that can't be a bad thing, can it?

Still pleased with our decision, and now appreciative of your perspectives and support.

alliek
January 18th, 2016, 01:49 PM
As long as it feels right to you, and your children certainly look happy, (and you can quilt) that is the right choice for you. You are giving them a view of the world that can't be taught in books. Enjoy! God Bless.

Vonnie
January 18th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Home is where the heart is. And it looks like you found where your heart is. Best to you and your family.

grammaterry
January 18th, 2016, 11:26 PM
40 years ago, I left yuppie ville and moved to a farm in Western North Carolina on the Tennessee line in the poorest county around. We had 4 children , a dog, a hamster, and a stationwagon. We were not farm folks. Well, the oldest of our children was 13 and she cried everyday saying we could have at least bought a place where we could see the road. Oh well. The children thrived, we became closer, they had great moral values given them from the small rural school which still had a "board of education" (swats on the backside). They talked of Christian values regularly and they were mostly appalacian related. All of my children left highschool with scholarships and two of them have doctorates. One of my children homeschools her 4 children, One of them has his children in a Catholic school., One moved to a rural town in Va and One lives in a big city. They all became well adjusted and said they wouldn't have traded our odd lifechange for anything.
Your children will adjust to whatever lifestyle you provide for them and your only job is to keep them safe and enriched.

auntiemern
January 19th, 2016, 02:21 PM
So happy you are doing what is right for you. Just a bit of info that you may not know. Ron and Jenny Doan moved to Missouri from CA, for the safety of their kids. They took a map, Ron closed his eyes and pointed. That is how they ended up in Hamilton. All of their children have grown in to amazing adults, because of the love, values, and closeness of family. The rest is history.
Normal is what you make it. As long as your family is safe and happy...keep doing what you are doing. I for one could never again live in a 'city'. I like being in the country far to much.