PDA

View Full Version : I have a horse question

Hulamoon
January 16th, 2016, 12:49 AM
I just love that Amazon commercial with the minature horse. Would a group of regular size horses turn away from it?

Simply Quilting
January 16th, 2016, 02:40 AM
It depends upon the horses and what their experiences have been. Some horses can be skittish around anything.

pcbatiks
January 16th, 2016, 02:48 AM
Great.....now I have that song stuck in my head again! :D

RockinLou
January 16th, 2016, 06:17 AM
I think I need to see this commercial before I can weigh in. I love horses. In my pre-family life I was a ranch hand, a groom for show jumpers, and ironically the most fulfilled at a simple county barn where I took care of school horses. Most were rescues and all were so sweet and loving, appreciative of their safety and comfort it always seemed.

Sorry.. Tangent... I'm feeling sentimental today!

Hulamoon
January 16th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Great.....now I have that song stuck in my head again! :D
lol...sorry

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRy9oBGp8IA

Suzette
January 16th, 2016, 08:46 AM
I have had and worked with horses my whole life and I have found that many horses do find mini's a bit confusing and will sometimes be leary of them for awhile. Some horses will even be afraid of them. lol

But if you put them in a field together, they will usually coexist just fine once they all get comfortable with each other. But, just like people, horses will have other horses (of all sizes and shapes) that they love, some that they simply tolerate and some that they dislike.

shirleyknot
January 16th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Being a long-time breeder and trainer of Arabians, I will tell you that horses are often cautious of anything strange, but they can tell by the smell that even such a short one is also a horse, and they are more likely to try to run off a strange one than run FROM it, until they are used to it being around.

Monique
January 16th, 2016, 09:29 AM
That is a cute video.

mommamarsh
January 16th, 2016, 10:09 AM
When we moved a pony onto the farm my 16.2h horse was terrified of her ! she was about 46in tall and it was a hoot ! But as time passed the horses all accepted her . There are mini ponies next door now and our herd seems to know what they are and, other than my concern that they would hurt the minis , even accidentally , they seem to accept them. My horse kids play rough !

Sonic
January 16th, 2016, 10:34 AM
I just love that Amazon commercial with the minature horse. Would a group of regular size horses turn away from it?
As several have said, it depends more on the regular sized horse's personality and experiences or the herd (group of horses) dynamic.
I've owned horses most of my life and have worked in several horse industries.
Some horses would indeed be terrified or extremely wary, more so because of a lack of exposure.
Other horses would be immediately curious.
And still others could care less.

The particular dwarf mini (he's smaller than a traditional mini horse) used in the commercial actually lives on a farm in the UK with normal sized horses, however for his own safety does not spend time with the large horses and mostly roams around freely outside the pastures.

shirleyknot
January 16th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I have an ancient 40-something pony who has the run of the place here. Still makes a pretty good lawn mower.

Hulamoon
January 16th, 2016, 11:29 AM
As several have said, it depends more on the regular sized horse's personality and experiences or the herd (group of horses) dynamic.
I've owned horses most of my life and have worked in several horse industries.
Some horses would indeed be terrified or extremely wary, more so because of a lack of exposure.
Other horses would be immediately curious.
And still others could care less.

The particular dwarf mini (he's smaller than a traditional mini horse) used in the commercial actually lives on a farm in the UK with normal sized horses, however for his own safety does not spend time with the large horses and mostly roams around freely outside the pastures.

I watched another video that had a whole story about that type of horse. They couldn't let him roam with the bigger ones for fear of getting under them. So they let him roam the house instead. She would walk him to the local bar to have a beer.

When I was young, a teacher asked what animal we would like to be. I said horse. She asked free or owned? I said I wouldn't mind if I was owned if they took care of me. I would love to walk into a bar for a beer and everyone petting me.:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7abf2Vyesrs

Sonic
January 16th, 2016, 11:43 AM
I watched another video that had a whole story about that type of horse. They couldn't let him roam with the bigger ones for fear of getting under them. So they let him roam the house instead. She would walk him to the local bar to have a beer.

When I was young, a teacher asked what animal we would like to be. I said horse. She asked free or owned? I said I wouldn't mind if I was owned if they took care of me. I would love to walk into a bar for a beer and everyone petting me.:lol:
I know right? Such a hard existence sipping beer and being loved on all the time. :)

Several people in my area that have bought Nigerian dwarf goats (a miniature dairy breed) from me or another breeder close by, have taught them to live in the house similar to mini pigs. The goats roam around with diapers on and sleep in crates or the laundry room at night.
Although I never pursued documenting them on the height I have two of probably the littlest purebred registered Nigerian Dwarf sisters out there. I wasn't breeding for that, it was just a coincidence.

Typical ones are 18 to 20 inches tall, and my two are 14 inches tall.
They are complete pets and will sit on my lap, which of course makes trimming their hooves very easy.
The one I can actually carry around with her front legs over my shoulder, looking backwards. She would rather be carried than be "forced" to walk on a lead....she's a total Diva. :D
The other one hates like to be carried.

Both of them are the best weedwackers around! I just put up a temp little pen with a small doghouse in it and let them go to work!

Carolnnc
January 16th, 2016, 01:16 PM
If you love horses and have Netfilix you should watch Unbranded. It's a documentary about the wild horses and a group of young men who bought wild horses at auction and rode them from Mexico to Canada. They brought attention to the issue of people versus nature.

Altairss
January 16th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Cute! my mare freaked the first time she saw our mini he was a B so bigger then that guy. After a couple days and lots of sniffing over the fence they became great friends. Down the road they have a dwarf mini that they keep in with their full size horses. He has a particular pal in that field and is always right next to him.

jjkaiser
January 16th, 2016, 02:42 PM
I have a friend who made a Halloween costume for a horse that was going to be in a parade! So guess what it was? A unicorn, of course!!!

CraftySweetPeas
January 16th, 2016, 11:54 PM
The first few times I saw that commercial I thought she was buying taller shoes for the mini horse...ha ha ha. Then the red door hit me and I sat and watched the commercial. I had to keep replaying the commercial because I thought it was so cute...the tune is PERFECT for this commercial. I stop what I'm doing and watch that silly commercial any time it comes on now...easy way to put a smile on my face.

Hulamoon
January 17th, 2016, 12:49 AM
The first few times I saw that commercial I thought she was buying taller shoes for the mini horse...ha ha ha. Then the red door hit me and I sat and watched the commercial. I had to keep replaying the commercial because I thought it was so cute...the tune is PERFECT for this commercial. I stop what I'm doing and watch that silly commercial any time it comes on now...easy way to put a smile on my face.

I know, me too! I didn't see the long version before I looked it up though. The part where they chase each other. It was fun to see that one.

CraftySweetPeas
January 17th, 2016, 01:43 AM
I know, me too! I didn't see the long version before I looked it up though. The part where they chase each other. It was fun to see that one.

Chase each other? Now I've gotta go see THAT....

Have you seen the Geico commercial with the Mom who calls her son and complains about the squirrels in the attic? That one cracks me up....

Hulamoon
January 17th, 2016, 01:51 AM
Chase each other? Now I've gotta go see THAT....

Have you seen the Geico commercial with the Mom who calls her son and complains about the squirrels in the attic? That one cracks me up....

It's the one I posted. On TV they cut out the chase around the trailor. I like the mom one too, really clever!

carolynrae
January 17th, 2016, 03:24 AM
If you love horses and have Netfilix you should watch Unbranded. It's a documentary about the wild horses and a group of young men who bought wild horses at auction and rode them from Mexico to Canada. They brought attention to the issue of people versus nature.

I just watched this last night and loved it. They rode through some small towns in southern Utah and stopped at the Malt Shop in Ephraim. I have eaten there. These young men had an amazing journey.