PDA

View Full Version : Friday - too long of a post but oh well . . .

Blondie
January 15th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Hello Folksies,
It's Friday, working day, DD is coming over when she finishes her shift to share a biscuit and coffee with me. I don't get in here (or anything computer related) on weekends. It's my baby girl's birthday, as I mentioned yesterday. To be totally maudlin and even more totally a MOM, I am going to posting about her birth day. Hope everyone has a great weekend and that this little post will bring a smile to your face when you think of your own birth stories.

In 1984, I was living in Atlanta Georgia. I was a single mom - recently abandoned by my husband, with a 18 month old, a three year old and found out I was preggers. hoo boy. That'll get your attention. For ONE MONTH, every Friday night before Sarah was born, I was in false labor. Now, both of my boys had been preemies and I had prayed and prayed in earnest for a full term child. The night before Sarah was born, I repented of that prayer request. Anyway, I was showing up at Grady Hospital every Friday night for a month and the same nurse/midwife was on shift each time.
Giving me the once over, she would place her hands on her hips, cock her head to one side and firmly say,
"Girl, that child ain't ready to be born yet! You go on home now and walk, walk, walk!"

Each Friday evening I would take my Braxton Hicks and go back home. The morning of Sarah's birth, I woke up just knowing in my heart that this was the day. I took a nice warm bath, shaved my legs and arms, slathered on the body lotion and even put on makeup. To cinch it, I went to the grocery store with the boys and walked, walked, walked. When I couldn't walk much more, I brought the laden buggy to the front of the store and told the cashier,
"I am sorry that I can't stay for you to ring these up. I'll be back later. I am going to have my baby now".

Outside it was SNOWING. And I mean it was SNOWING. People were leaving their cars in the middle of the road and walking. It was SNOWING that hard. People in Atlanta do not do snow well. At all.

I drove myself to The Grady and deposited my sons at the day care center. (In retrospect, I think that was pretty advanced care giving in 1984 - I had never known of a hospital to have a nursery facility before). Anyway, I dropped the boys off at the center, went up to the maternity wing. The nurse/midwife saw me walking toward her with my pitiful little satchel in my hand. With pursed lips and hands on her hips, she lowered her head to one side while looking at me.
With the firmest voice I could summon I announced,
"I am not going home".

She straightened up, big toothy grin on her face and said,
"I do believe that this is the time".

Sarah was born less than 15 minutes later, on a gurney in a closet where the doctors kept their scrubs. You see, it was record day at The Grady. More women were giving birth and in labor than any other day in the history of the hospital. Some say it was the barometer, thermometer, the snow, the ice. However, I knew in my heart that those women could no longer obey that stern nurse and go home to walk.
Women were lying on the floor, writhing in labor. I kid you not. The delivery room was loaded. There was no room at the Inn.

I knew in my heart that I was going to have a girl. I also knew that she would keep me humble. But, I knew how to take care of little boys. They are easy to clean, everything hangs out, you know? Little boys loved their mommies and want to grow up and marry them. Little girls have a way of being a mirror of their mommies and I didn't want my daughter to grow up and make the same mistakes that I did. Isn't it grand that God always knows what is best.

to those who used to follow my blog when it was active, this was first seen on my blog several years back. now take your reading glasses off and smile!

shermur
January 15th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Awesome post, Blondie! It did make me smile and recall the three births of my son and two daughters. Thank you for sharing a beautiful story!

Monique
January 15th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Long or not, it was wonderful to read your story. Happy birthday Sarah. Someday I will share the story of Phil's birth, it's a long one too.

Well Friday has arrived. Work went well yesterday, another small post office. I was able to get out at lunch and get some groceries and shop like I had lots of time. I did, I had 4 hours to shop.

Hubby is very discouraged with his diabetes. He hardly had anything to eat yesterday but yet his sugar was up to 19. And for once in a long while, he is watching what he eats. We are going to have to make out a meal plan.

Today I hope to get into the sewing room, but you know my plans never go the way I want them.

Today I am going to be making large meals because it will be the only solid meal I get until late Monday. OH YAY! Liquid diet for three days.

Have a great weekend everyone.

songbird857
January 15th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Aww Blondie - your stories are NEVER too long :) Happy Birthday to Sarah... she is beautiful.
Monique - praying that you get the issue with hubby's diabetes under control :)

Good morning all. Friday - yippeea!!! That means 'one more sleep' til my daughter comes back home. She's only been gone a week, but boy do I miss her. Ella misses her too - last night I went to put Ella in her crate (in DD's room), and she was looking at Hannah's bed like - "well??? Where IS she???? Where is my Hannah????" Soon, Ella, soon.
DD is actually at an inernational Bible conference in Arizona - so I loved the text that said - "oh, mom. I made some Dutch friends last night; we're going to the Grand Canyon..." my little 'used to be' introvert is quite adventurous!

I hope everyone has a great weekend - hopefully mine will include sewing...

mischiefkat
January 15th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Blondie,
Happy Birthday to your daughter. Love to you and your daughter. kathy

EnumclawGramma
January 15th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Thank you for sharing that Blondie! And Happy Birthday to you AND Sarah! Girls. Don't I know it? I had my boys first too, the Good Lord wanted me to really appreciate the little gift he laid in my lap when she was born!!

I've got two Grandsons coming to hang out with me today. They want to make cookies and go shopping! Believe that? My o' my what a joy these two are! (It does help that there is an XBox upstairs with some war games and NFL football games!) We'll take them out for dinner and then go watch their sister play basketball tonight, and that rounds out our Friday!

So, I'm up and moving extra early. Dishes done, bed sheets changed and laundry running. Once I start vacuuming I know I'm nearly done! I wonder if I'll have time to sneak into the sewing room later......?

Barb (Bubby) the two quilts I referred to yesterday were the Curved Log Cabin and the Tumbling Charms I posted awhile ago. Finally got the binding on and washed and done!

Hugs and Prayers to all. Have a wonderful Friday!

Ginny B
January 15th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Good morning and Happy Friday. And Happy Birthday to your daughter Blondie. Loved your story.

I am tired this morning. I seem to feel that way on Fridays. I guess by the end of the week, I have expended a whole bunch of my energy. I have spent my evenings in my sewing room working on a few different projects this week and tomorrow we will be busy, busy, busy with lunch with step-daughters and some friends and then dinner with my sis and her boyfriend. They will be leaving for Costa Rica next week for 5 weeks and I need some sisty time before they leave. I think that tonight, we will get a pizza for dinner and then I will plant myself on the couch and maybe we will watch a movie or something and just relax. No sewing room tonight....maybe work on some hexies while watching tv though. I seem to always need to be doing something with a needle and thread even if I'm not in front of my sewing machine.

We get out of work at 4 today (Fridays before a holiday are always early close :icon_woohoo:) and I'm looking forward to a nice long weekend. Have a great day everyone.

ceiliam
January 15th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Happy Friday everyone. Blondie loved your story, happy birth day to you and Sarah. She and you are blessed to have each other.
Went to my sewing class that I am auditing at the university, the lady that teaches it is excellent and wonderful at fitting, which will really help me. Then off to a Quilting class. You know I need another project. Went to lunch with my sister along with my cute niece and darling great nephew who calls me grandma. Being called grandma makes my heart melt.
Off today to get fabric for my sewing class hope all have a wonderful day . cecelia

Jean Sewing Machine
January 15th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Good morning all! Love your birth story about Sarah! Happy birthday, Sarah! My baby brother was born on Jan. 15. As I was told, the drive to the hospital for my mom and dad was harrowing, as it was raining freezing rain, and they slid all the way to the hospital. I remember going to school the next day and the school bus slid down the road one set of wheels on the left shoulder of the road and one set of wheels on the right shoulder. I was only 8 at the time, but I remember that vividly! Sadly, we lost my brother 14 years ago, but I remember him often.

Today, I'm ready to list my rental home, all the work we 've been doing is about finished. Yesterday, I had two very helpful gentlemen clean the place inside and out! It shines like it has never shined before. One of the gents is my realtor, talk about great personal service! Two great guys for sure. I've had two other great guys help me get it done, as well as 2 sons and a daughter. Group effort! Now to hope it pays off with a quick sale!

My daughter came up from Atlanta to meet with her girlfriends for their annual scrapbook crop weekend. They call it crop camp. One year, several of them came to my house in Cuba and we had crop camp weekend. My what fun we had! I am so glad she is still so close to her buds from way back when. Some of them have been together from high school days, and that was quite a while ago! Hope they have a great time!

Have a great day!

GrammaBabs
January 15th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Happy Birthday SARAH.... and "nice job Mom".... She's beautiful inside and out,,, i can feel it:)) B

kimsophia
January 15th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Happy Friday to all Larks! I am a bewildered night owl who slept all night. @,@ <blinking in the morning light>

I have almost finished sewing 300 little seams for my Floating Hexies quilt. Then I'll be pinning and sewing the other side's 300. It is not difficult work, but it is just a lot of it. It's rather fun, not arduous like usual. Maybe I'm getting a clue of what I'm doing at last? Best wishes to all...great story, Blondie!

MRoy
January 15th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Happy Birthday Sarah! and Happy Birthday Jean's son!

My son was born on Feb 27 and it was a leap year. Whew, that was close. It was one of those strange winters, temps got into the 70s while we were still in the hospital and the thermostats were set for colder weather. I opened the window in my room to keep from roasting.

Today is a quilting day. I've watched the new tutorial and I think I'll use it for a donation quilt. The guild has stacks of batik strips donated by Hoffman Fabrics that will work perfectly. Happy Friday everyone!

cv quilter
January 15th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Good morning, Blondie and all. Happy Birthday to Sarah, the star of that beautiful story (Blondie, I think you would be the Director).
Friday......my Friday will consist of doing some alteration sewing of DHs shirts, making a turtle pillow to surprise a friend with and getting our little travel trailer ready to make a trip to Lake Havasu on Monday. Yep, we are finally going to take a few days (with our sweet little dog) and visit friends we RVd with years ago. Looking forward to that! I also hope to get a wool applique project laid out and ready to hand stitch while we are gone. Never done one before and am anxious to try my hand at it. Lots to do and need to get one more cup of coffee in me before I start. Hope you all have a blessed day, full of smiles and laughter. Enjoy the upcoming weekend and be safe.

Bubby
January 15th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Happy Birthday, Sarah...and hugs to her sweet Mom. We never forget a single detail about our birthing experiences, do we?

It's raining here this morning and later today we are supposed to get some snow. I've been doing a few little things around the house and catching up the laundry. Not sure what to fix for our dinner tonight.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Friday and weekend.

MayinJerset
January 15th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Blondie, Wish your DD a Happy Bday from me, with you as her Mom it can't be anything but happy. What a great story about her birth.

Only thing I know about my birth was that there was a blizzard on the day I was born 80 years ago today. No snow today, thank goodness as I'll soon be on my way to a Bday lunch with my BFF.

mischiefkat
January 15th, 2016, 01:05 PM
We are in a severe weather watch here this am. Lots of wind,rain, etc coming our way. My poor cat is beside herself.The tornado watch has just been lifted for us, then another issued for some place else. I've been cleaning my sewing room have actually found the surface of the cutting table. Found a flannel FQ that would make nice self binding baby blankets,if I can find the space to cut the bigger piece. Have pea soup in the crock if the power doesn't go out..lights have been flickering for quite awhile now. Everybody have a good day, stay warm,dry, and safe. Happy Birthdays to all who are celebrating today. Kathy

SewnByBee
January 15th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Good Friday Morning ,
Birthday's are very special to moms, for we are reminded of what special gifts we we're given, and the overwhelming since of joy when we fist laid eyes on out beautiful baby's. Sarah is a beautiful girl, I hope she and you have a wonderful day.

Today it's damp and drisseling rain. Yesterday was so nice. I could have used a couple more day like that. I feel better when the sun is out and the temps are moderate. I here there may be snow in the forcast..........ugh. ....not ready for that........not at all. Lol
I'm so excited, I got three bears ask for.yey....go Bama........winning that game helps the momentum. A unique keepsake is welcomed. I've got a couple of new ideas, I am going to work on too.

I hope you all have a blessed day and weekend too. TGIF .......:icon_wave:
.........124277......Roll Tide!!!124279

Claire Hallman
January 15th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Happy birthday to all who were born today, my DH was among them. He was born at home so no harrowing rides to the hosp. There was a story about my DFIL dallying around when he went after the doctor though. There were no phones close by so he had to go get the doctor. This was 70 yr ago but it was out in the country.
I am not sure what today holds, I am so sore all over from painting the railings and trim on our front porch yesterday. It was a gorgeous day and I was happy to be out but sore, sore, sore today. If I hold still it is not too bad but I want to do some FMQ. I might give it a try after the advil kicks in.

sewbizzy
January 15th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Blondie, your wonderful story me to tears....wow, you overcame lots of odds....you should write a book!!! Happy Birthday to Sarah!
I am working on an x and o quilt...I also have used up some stash on 2 others...I will post some pictures of what I have done so far this year...
dh and I may go to Longhorns today with our Christmas gift cards...
Have a great day everyone...

alliek
January 15th, 2016, 02:22 PM
HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS SARAH! Yes, God knows exactly what HE is doing. Look how he gave two little boys and a baby girl the best momma they could possibly have. Many Blessings. :icon_hug:

Simply Quilting
January 15th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Blondie, what a sweet birth story.

Not sure what project I'm going to work on today. Yesterday the weather was beautiful and sunny. Today we are back to cold.

I had a funny thing happen yesterday. I had mailed a Christmas card to a friend of mine on December 17 (only card I mailed this year). And yesterday it came back unable to deliver and unable to forward. I called my friend and asked her what her address was because I thought I used the right one. She told me and it is exactly what is on the envelope. Have no idea why it was not delivered - handwriting is readable.

Have a great day everyone :)

Neller
January 15th, 2016, 08:46 PM
A great birth story! I have a son who was born in 1984 too, but my birth story wasn't as exciting: a repeat c-section. I also worked in labor and delivery for a short time and remember those days when we were overflowing with laboring moms! Happy Birthday to your daughter and happy Labor Day to you!

GuitarGramma
January 15th, 2016, 08:59 PM
I remember that your baby girl and my baby girl have the same birthday! What joy they have brought both our lives, yes? Thanks for sharing her birth story. Mine took place while World War III was starting. (OK, it was the first Gulf War, which turned out to last only days, but at the time--in labor, mind you--I didn't know it would end so soon!) My labor & delivery nurse's fiance was in the conflict so, all through labor, we watched a channel that was broadcasting the war.

Blondie, you've built a good life despite your babies' father abandoning you. You are one of the most inspiring women I know.

quiltingtrish
January 15th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Happy Birthday Sarah - I hope you had a fantastic day!~
Now, go HUG your mom cause she sure is special to all of us here.

Over40momma
January 16th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Happy Birthday Sarah.

Blondie, girls do keep us humble....and they can be our source of great growth too! Love the story of Sarah's appearance on earth.....the miracle of life and it's beginning should always be recounted and cherished. :icon_hug:

judimccl
January 16th, 2016, 04:00 PM
I had the same thing happen with a card sent to me by a friend. Got returned to her, she called to check address, which was right, and she resent it. Finally got here but part of the envelope was cut off! :icon_wave: