PDA

View Full Version : I am officially a senior citizen

Papa
January 14th, 2016, 02:15 PM
I wasn't too concerned when I tried to use my library card to pay for gas. It is plastic and looked like a credit card.

I wasn't too concerned when I had to get undressed and turn my boxer shorts around and put the fly in the front. That could happen to anyone.

I wasn't too concerned when I shook up the can of V8 juice after opening the top. My shirt went in the wash and it didn't take long to clean the cabinets.

I wasn't too concerned when I tried to multi-task by pressing the brew button on the single serve coffee machine while on the way to the bathroom. I wish I had remembered to put a coffee cup under the spout. I needed to clean the counter and mop the floor anyway.

For supper last night I had a sandwich that consisted of bread, cheese, mustard, onion, and tomato. Why did I have that particular combination? Because the hamburger patty I re-heated in the microwave remained in the microwave and never made it to the sandwich.

I think it is time to be concerned.

rebeccas-sewing
January 14th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Sounds to me like you are distracted by other things. Not so sure it's necessarily that you're getting older.

songbird857
January 14th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Hahahaha.... I've done the coffee thing ;)

giig21
January 14th, 2016, 10:05 PM
LMAO, try sewing rows of jelly roll strips an get to the forth one when i noticed they were not sewn together and blame the sewing machine. Then realized i didn't thread the machine. .

SherylM
January 14th, 2016, 11:08 PM
I wasn't too concerned when I tried to multi-task by pressing the brew button on the single serve coffee machine while on the way to the bathroom. I wish I had remembered to put a coffee cup under the spout. I needed to clean the counter and mop the floor anyway.

Hahahaha! I did that when I came home after having a colonoscopy. My son just put the discharge orders in front of me and pointed to,"Don't drive or operate machinery...." :D

I agree though that you just may be distracted. ;)

Judy, USMC
January 14th, 2016, 11:16 PM
How about going to the grocery store? Made my purchases, loaded the bags into the car and automatically got into the passenger's seat. Took me a minute to realize he (my husband who usually drove) stayed home that trip! Thought it would look too weird to just run around the car - so I actually went back into the store - turned around and came back out.

CraftySweetPeas
January 15th, 2016, 12:43 AM
Those little incidents are starting to add up......I'm just sayin'.....Make sure you have a mirror by your front door from now on; it won't hurt (with the information you've shared) to take a quick peek before leaving home. We'll keep an ear out for the Silver Alert and send you home when you're lost....:icon_wave: (You're in good company.)

JCY
January 15th, 2016, 01:01 AM
Oh, I got a chuckle out of these comments. I think the older we get, the more easily distracted we get & multi-tasking gets more difficult. DH gave up driving the car 8 yrs. ago when he realized he was having problems concentrating & multi-tasking. He really has to focus on just one task at a time.

jjkaiser
January 15th, 2016, 01:10 AM
Nah I don't think it's cause for alarm. Besides, you remembered pretty much everything that happened and all in order. So you can't be too far gone!

rebeccas-sewing
January 15th, 2016, 01:51 AM
I'm with JJKaiser on this one. Judy - pretty funny stuff. What's really a riot is being so embarrassed you had to cover your move by going back into the store and starting over. hahaha

stationarymom
January 15th, 2016, 03:23 AM
Have you made phone calls with the remote control yet? Both my father and DH have done this several times,the funny part is my dad who is 77 realizes before he waits for the ring my DH doesn't he just sits there listening.

Carlie Wolf
January 15th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Too funny. I wouldn't be concerned. You'd be surprised what I find in my freezer instead of the cabinets because I was distracted.

Dollyquilts
January 15th, 2016, 11:29 AM
I took my DGDs to the orthodontist the other day and walked outside to get in the car while they were making next month's appointments. I went out and opened the car door only to find it wasn't my car. I was sure glad. My car is old, but this one was the same age and had a ripped front seat and smelled awful.

meliswan
January 15th, 2016, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't be too worried until you start looking for your phone while talking on it. Oh wait, I've done that.....(wonders off scratching head and mumbling)

SewnByBee
January 16th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Hahahaha............. congratulations........ you made it to maturity....... keep the positive optimistic attitude.......you'll. Be fine.

I remember the days of multitasking......... now completing one task without complications is a task within itself. Lol

You just have to look at this a little differently.

......................124328....try this.........lol

GrammaBabs
January 16th, 2016, 01:49 PM
This made my day!!!
Take advice from someone whose been living in a retirement community (although we have more fun than most 40yr olds i know, not having to work.LOL) these stories are flying fast and furious around the pool or in any groups. The key is to surround yourself with happy and fun people you age... Any given Sat. night you will hear the music of our youth at the clubhouse, with people on the dance floor acting like it's High School or Disco Clubs all over again... a little "vino" and the drive home is maybe 2 miles:))

KarenC
January 16th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Hahahaha.... I've done the coffee thing ;)

Ha ha. I'very done the coffee thing b u think with the pot instead of cup. What a mess

cv quilter
January 17th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Papa, what a wonderful, funny, uplifting post! Thank you for some chuckles and smiles. I read it to my husband and he got a kick out of it. Done the coffee thing, done the V-8 thing except with OJ, and have mistaken my grocery store card for a credit card. Your post reminds me that we are all human. And I absolutely love your sense of humor. I think that's the key to enjoying these senior years. Keep on smiling!

Jean Marie
January 17th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Ha ha ha......I've been known to be frantically looking for my phone while talking on it more than once. Then I complete the picture by hanging up the phone and then yelling at myself.. " what the hell is wrong with you! Stupid!" Then start laughing at myself for the entire episode! And "no" I don't answer myself! Lol.......and isn't it funny that you're sooo embarrassed ....and no one else is around to be embarrassed about!

tlragogo
January 19th, 2016, 05:10 PM
One day I left for work, completely forgetting that at lunch I moved my car, I searched and searched for my car. I was so sure I knew where it was! I was so upset, nearly in tears! I was just grateful, that as I was walking back to the office to call the police and tell that my car had been stolen, that I walked right by my car, safely where I had parked it at lunch........LOL

I was 22 at the time!