PDA

View Full Version : COLOR Your World - (Do You Like to Color?)

JCY
January 13th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Anyone like to color? My dentist's office has a bound, very detailed coloring book & colored pencils in the waiting room. I browsed through it this week. Interestingly, I saw this article today in the Spry insert in our paper: "Color Your World." The Q: Why are my friends suddenly into coloring? A: It's the latest craze: grown-ups filling in the swirls and intricate patterns of coloring books. Coloring, they've discovered, can be calming. Here's why:

- Coloring draws attention away from yourself and brings you into the present moment. In this way, it is very much like a meditative exercise.

- When your mind is focused on a simple activity and not disturbed by thoughts and appraisals, your brain tends to relax.

- The fact that coloring has a predictable outcome also can be relaxing. It is hard to mess up, and even if you do, there is no real consequence. As a result, adult coloring can be a wonderful lark, rather than an arduous test of your capacities.

--Scott Bea, PSYD, Clinical Psychologist.

What do you think of that? About the only coloring I do is when I'm plotting out a quilt pattern on graph paper.

bhaggerty
January 13th, 2016, 06:36 PM
I did notice many stores carrying adult coloring books like that prior to Christmas! I guess they are the rage right now! Even JoAnn's fabric had them!
I have plenty of my kids old coloring books. I save them because they are great for appliqué ideas. Maybe if I am stressed out I will color In them!

jjkaiser
January 13th, 2016, 06:39 PM
It's crazy! My three grown daughters are really into this adult coloring thing. And recently a Mejier Store that is new here just got a new batch of Harry Potter books in and my girls went wild! I heard they sold out of them the same day.

Kim T
January 13th, 2016, 07:00 PM
I just color with fabric.

Lyndaj
January 13th, 2016, 08:08 PM
Yes I do, but must admit that I'm a bit of a colouring snob. I only like well drawn pictures.:icon_bigsmile:

LauraP
January 13th, 2016, 08:28 PM
I have loved coloring since the first time someone left a crayon out where I could get to it (I am the youngest of five). I will color anything from the letters in the newspaper to extreme designs. I'm that way about reading too. I will read anything from the soup can to the dictionary with encyclopedias being a favorite. I wonder if there is a connection between reading and coloring?

grammaterry
January 13th, 2016, 08:32 PM
me too. fabric is my color book

stationarymom
January 14th, 2016, 03:45 AM
I like coloring and find it does relax me,I don't worry about cutting in the wrong place.I was looking today and ct has adult coloring books(quilt ones too) I think I'm going to buy a couple.

snippet
January 14th, 2016, 01:50 PM
I love coloring. I still have one of my childhood coloring books. I loved the drawings in it.

I recently got a coloring book and some pencils over the holidays and really got into it. It is fun. I think I'm a snob too, because there were a lot of books I didn't like.

I'm going to embroider a quilt and use crayons on it.

rebeccas-sewing
January 14th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Interesting! At first I thought how strange, but then I decided to embrace the idea. There are lots of folks who are not fortunate enough to have the talent of creating images with a painting medium. This is a quick way for someone to feel as though they are creating art. I think it's mostly a way to relieve boredom. I would imagine those in the medical profession would suggest it to be healthier to open a book and read to pass time. I also agree that it's a calming activity. However, I do not agree that it will keep one in a meditative state. In other words, washing away one's worries. I find that I can still worry and stress even when I'm sewing. Color is definitely a major stimulation. I did a lot of coloring as a child but I think I'll stick to quilts. hahaha

mommadeb
January 14th, 2016, 02:37 PM
I have two books and have colored pencils from before I had EQ7, so I was good to go! I love it and I just drift away when I color.

mommadeb
January 14th, 2016, 02:40 PM
I'm just like you. If I am having cereal, I read every single part of the box and then start over. I am always reading something.

I have loved coloring since the first time someone left a crayon out where I could get to it (I am the youngest of five). I will color anything from the letters in the newspaper to extreme designs. I'm that way about reading too. I will read anything from the soup can to the dictionary with encyclopedias being a favorite. I wonder if there is a connection between reading and coloring?

Wwena
January 14th, 2016, 06:45 PM
I like colouring, especially Mandalas. I read about that research and I know that I don't let my brain relax enough as is. I recently gave a colouring book to a collegue who had taken time off to calm down after a long, stressful time. I don't have the patience to do it for long but I have even less patience to rest my mind in other ways (yoga is SO not my thing and neither is meditation), I guess every bit helps. :)

Wwena
January 14th, 2016, 06:46 PM
It's crazy! My three grown daughters are really into this adult coloring thing. And recently a Mejier Store that is new here just got a new batch of Harry Potter books in and my girls went wild! I heard they sold out of them the same day.

I gave one to my daughter for her birthday! She hasn't touched it yet and it's been two weeks, is it mine now? :D

I like coloring and find it does relax me,I don't worry about cutting in the wrong place.I was looking today and ct has adult coloring books(quilt ones too) I think I'm going to buy a couple.

Quilt colouring books?!? Colour me excited!!