PDA

View Full Version : Husband's Shoulder Surgery Today

Lyndaj
January 6th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Today was DH's (David's) shoulder surgery. He was thrown off of a horse as a teenager and he is now 54.

This summer he tells me that he needs to go to our family doc. OK, now I'm worried, because he never says that! He then tells me that his shoulder has been getting progressively worse for the past two years. As my girlfriend would say, this is a total Y chromosome thing.:D

Making a long story short, family doc sent him for MRI. MRI wasn't terribly conclusive and she suggests cortisone shots. Cortisone shots didn't do anything much. Family doc sends him to orthopedic surgeon who examines him and reviews MRI results and he isn't sure what was going on and sends David for dye enhanced MRI. Now that showed the tear. Instead of suggesting surgery, he sends David to physio.:icon_mad: After 6 weeks of physio, we go back to surgeon who re-examines and then suggests surgery!

Fortunately the surgery was all done arthroscopicly (without an open wound), so he will have an easier time healing. He's in bed after crashing following taking serious painkillers.

He is right handed and this was his right shoulder of course. He will be in a sling for 6 weeks. I hope he gets used to doing things with his left hand shortly.

MayinJerset
January 6th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Saying a prayer that your DH's recovery is quick and without too much pain. Keep us informed of his progress.

Hulamoon
January 6th, 2016, 07:59 PM
How frustrating. I went through the same with my wrist. In a cast for a month and then nope you need surgery. I feel for him. And you for having a down DH lol

CraftHer
January 6th, 2016, 08:12 PM
My husband had surgery for a torn labrum and detached bicep (left shoulder, he's right handed). Sounds like he went through the same thing - shots, PT and then surgery. The PT probably did more harm than good. PT won't fix a tear. But, they have a procedure they have to follow no matter what. Anyway....

Day of surgery, he was just fine. Laughing, joking and no pain. The next day, the nerve block wore off and he was tired and hurting. Slept a lot. There was this HORRIBLE bruise on his arm/bicep that just about had me rushing him to the ER. He swears it didn't hurt. Dr said it was from where the fixed the bicep muscle.

When we went back to the dr (about a week later), dr says to wear the sling and DH *may* leave it off when in the house but always wear it out. So, we get home and then decide to go to Walmart. No sling. "Honey, dr says wear your sling out". DH - "No, dr said I don't have to wear it anymore". I think this is also a total Y-Chromosome thing.

He faithfully did the PT and I'm very glad. I believe it helped him heal up and get back to normal (about 95% which is what was expected). That's been almost 3 years ago and he's healed up just fine.

Saying a prayer that your DH heals quickly.

Lyndaj
January 6th, 2016, 09:23 PM
My husband had surgery for a torn labrum and detached bicep (left shoulder, he's right handed). Sounds like he went through the same thing - shots, PT and then surgery. The PT probably did more harm than good. PT won't fix a tear. But, they have a procedure they have to follow no matter what. Anyway....

Day of surgery, he was just fine. Laughing, joking and no pain. The next day, the nerve block wore off and he was tired and hurting. Slept a lot. There was this HORRIBLE bruise on his arm/bicep that just about had me rushing him to the ER. He swears it didn't hurt. Dr said it was from where the fixed the bicep muscle.

When we went back to the dr (about a week later), dr says to wear the sling and DH *may* leave it off when in the house but always wear it out. So, we get home and then decide to go to Walmart. No sling. "Honey, dr says wear your sling out". DH - "No, dr said I don't have to wear it anymore". I think this is also a total Y-Chromosome thing.

He faithfully did the PT and I'm very glad. I believe it helped him heal up and get back to normal (about 95% which is what was expected). That's been almost 3 years ago and he's healed up just fine.

Saying a prayer that your DH heals quickly.

Definitely similar to your DH, but David also had torn rotator cuff and torn supraspinatus muscle.

He has been told that he HAS to wear the sling for 6 weeks and thats 6 weeks everywhere. I have instructions to remove his dressing on Saturday and cover with waterproof dressings. His post op appointment is on Tuesday.

judimccl
January 7th, 2016, 12:40 AM
Prayers said for hubby to be on a quick mend. :icon_wave:

stationarymom
January 7th, 2016, 03:24 AM
Prayers on their way for a speedy recovery.I have sent some for extra patience for you while you deal with him healing.(if your Dh is anything like mine when he is hurt you'll need them)

bubba
January 7th, 2016, 04:43 AM
When I had surgery on my left arm (yes, I am left handed!), I was in a cast then a sling for six weeks as well, followed up by PT so I could straighten my arm again. I had the bright idea to sign a book of checks (it was before debit cards) and to buy elastic waisted pants. However, those pants are hard to pull up with one hand!!! I had to have someone help me because they would get so twisted, like a little kids do. If we were in public, I had to have one of my girls go in the bathroom with me so they could fix them for me....they were teenagers and not happy to do that....hee hee hee.

Hope he gets better soon!

SewnByBee
January 7th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Sending prayers for a successful ad seedy recovery. Takevcare of you to.

Blondie
January 7th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Glad to read his surgery went swimmingly. I will be much happier with and for you when he is no longer calling your name to carry him this or that. You know, as your girlfriend says the Y chromosone thing. You have my prayers.

ceiliam
January 7th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Prayers, hugs and patience being sent your way. Hoping he recovers soo

Carol336
January 7th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Sending prayers for hubs and you too, Lynda.

Bubby
January 7th, 2016, 09:24 AM
I had that surgery about 6 years ago and your DH certainly has my prayers and best wishes. It's quite painful. I found M* one night when I was up with pain from my surgery....it turned out to be a good thing! Hugs to you as well.

Lyndaj
January 7th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Thanks everyone. You guys are wonderful.

David is up and moving. He is having Percocet-induced dreams though.

Have had amazing follow up phone calls from both the surgical day unit and just now the anesthesiologist. I had no idea they did that.

LauraP
January 7th, 2016, 03:21 PM
when you get really frustrated at him just remember what he's having to go through to get his zipper up and down and it will bring a good laugh to your heart. I had a friend who had to have his shoulder worked on which wasn't bad except he lost his other hand when he was in college. His wife had a lot of fun with him!

Lyndaj
January 7th, 2016, 03:25 PM
No worries, I'm not frustrated at him. We did things in advance e.g. buying an iPad so he could use a smaller computer, making sure he had larger size clothes, etc.

I'm just making sure to check how he is feeling e.g. pain is how much out of 10, making sure he's taking the drugs, etc.