PDA

View Full Version : 2016- Is that you?

Blondie
January 5th, 2016, 07:38 AM

Hello, Good Morning & Howdy Doody Folksies !

Christmas is now a blur, New Years a closer fly by and here we are in 2016 and Tuesday for crying out loud! Ye gads what in the world - how did that happen? Tuesday already???? Luscious and I were given a weekend away by DD and her dear sweet hubby for the New Year weekend. We spent the weekend in Williamsburg, Va. I can't remember the last time hubs and I went anywhere totally by ourselves. All I can say is, I could've stayed away longer and lived in that timeshare. My goodness, I loved the life of luxury for the short while we were there. The mattress was perfect, not one lump or spring to be felt, the bathroom had double sinks, and toilets that flushed the first time - both of 'em! Of course, it was good to come home. On the way home, we drove through foggy snow flurries. While we were glad to get away, it was okay to come home. Gracie really missed us (more like her Daddy). I walked across the street to hug on Beau. Middle Son Josh said Beau was having separation anxiety from me.
So we are home and I need to get cracking. Haven't done any house work in a few weeks. Too much going on during the week after Christmas between family doings and work. I feel like I need to wake up from a dream.

So, have you added to your bucket list this new year? I have. Any look at my pinterest page is testimony to that nugget. Off to find the coffee pot, just a plain old Black and Decker coffee maker, not the fancy schmancy Kuerig at the resort. Hey, it makes coffee just fine.

Hugs, smiles and lots of love and good wishes to all.

gshannon1008
January 5th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Blondie,
Happy new! I checked out you Pinterest boards-- beautiful quilts.

shermur
January 5th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Morning, sweet Blondie! I envy your get-away with DH....I would enjoy that kind of weekend as well. And, I have a good old Black and Decker coffee pot, too! I've have two cups already!

Massive adjustments going on....

Navy daughter, Ashley and Conner have been home over a week. Grandson still isn't sleeping through the night yet! Ashley's things should arrive today sometime, to store in our garage. And I packed up my sewing room so Ashley and Conner could have the spare bedroom. There is a ton of fabric, notions and machines to re-organize and have any chance of creating again until Ashley and Conner move into their own place?

I gave my notice at current place of employment...8 months seemly wasted. I start a new company next Monday. I have high hopes that this new job will be the right fit since moving to the River Valley area of Fort Smith. There has been enough disappointment up to this point of surviving.....

Patsquilting
January 5th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Good Morning, Happy New Year: BLondie - I love your posts. I gives me a chuckle. I, too, have plain old B&D coffee maker. Set the timer - and wake up to smell of coffee brewing - what more can you want! Sherri - hang in there. I worked at a job I hated for 2 1/2 years until I could find another one. Just retired from that job after 26 years. It was well worth the wait. NOW, trying to figure out what day am I on? No calendar in front of me - no getting up to get on the road by 6:30 - what I missed the most on my 1st official retirement day was the catching up with co-workers and their families. Since we hope to move sometime the middle of the year, I started going through fabric stash - pack what I know I won't be using immediately, weeding out what I know I won't be using -- donate to next quilt guild "ways & means" raffle. WOW - look at the room on that shelf! NO, I can't go out and restock! Oh, darn!

Have a terrific day - stay warm. Hang tight! Pat

shermur
January 5th, 2016, 08:21 AM
"Sherri - hang in there. I worked at a job I hated for 2 1/2 years until I could find another one. Just retired from that job after 26 years. It was well worth the wait. "

Patsquilting...that's all I've ever wanted, sweetie....I thought I had that when I started at Western Auto Supply Co in downtown Kansas City, MO in 1990; I would have had 26 years completed March 2016. Since 1997, it's appalling how many times I have changed jobs due to business ethics and work environment. I guess, it's because I am "old school" and I have high expectations of myself and those I work with. Unfortunately, in today's society, the work force has no "pride" in work ethic(s) and too much greed on prior companys has the root of demise.

I have been victim of company's selling, caring too much, using common sense instead of complying with a piece of paper that states I am intelligent. At 51 years of age...I guess I would be thrilled to experience 5 years with a company and be an asset with pride and a sense of accomplishment/respect.

EnumclawGramma
January 5th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Good Morning Blondie! We were also able to get away for New Years on a Gift Cert. my kids gave us for our 40th last year. We went with BIL and SIL and had an awesome time! We added a night to the getaway because none of us were ready to go back to reality. Ate too much, laughed too much and did a ton of walking and talking. We always have so much fun together and made a New Years promise to do it more often.

I got a Ninja blender for Christmas so I'm making it my goal to learn the art of nutritious smoothies. Lots of ideas on the internet, I'm having fun and making Hubs happy with my practice!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday. Cannot believe this is 2016. Where o' where does the time go??

Hugs!

songbird857
January 5th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Morning all :)
Many of us up early this morning! I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm glad to get back to some semblance of a routine.
Blondie, I'm so glad you and hubby were able to get away - well deserved rest for you :) Williamsburg is one of the places I'd return to in a heartbeat if possible - only not in August ;)
I cleaned my sewing room yesterday, now I'm ready for more action. I've a few ideas in mind, we'll see what happens. I bought some plastic shoebox containers, and placed some of those hard to store items: scrap batting and stabilizer, applique' pieces, orphan HST's, purse fabric, and the fabric for the 365 quilt! They are clear so I can see what is in them ;)
Have a great day all...

ceiliam
January 5th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Hi cute Blondie so look forward to your posts. Sherri it will work out for you I believe it always works out in the way that is best for us.
I have been working on Quilting my 10 year old quilt. It has been made for a long time, just life, marriages baby's etc have intruped my progress. It is now inn process of Quilting hope to finish it up today. No other major plans except to heart Dr they need to check on pacemaker. Hope all have a fabulous day. Cecelia

Carol336
January 5th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Morning all :)
Many of us up early this morning! I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm glad to get back to some semblance of a routine.
Blondie, I'm so glad you and hubby were able to get away - well deserved rest for you :) Williamsburg is one of the places I'd return to in a heartbeat if possible - only not in August ;)
I cleaned my sewing room yesterday, now I'm ready for more action. I've a few ideas in mind, we'll see what happens. I bought some plastic shoebox containers, and placed some of those hard to store items: scrap batting and stabilizer, applique' pieces, orphan HST's, purse fabric, and the fabric for the 365 quilt! They are clear so I can see what is in them ;)
Have a great day all...

I'm curious to know what fabric you chose for the 365 quilt.....can you post a pic; I'm still trying to figure out what to use and how many different colors/patterns of fabric I'm gonna need.

songbird857
January 5th, 2016, 09:09 AM
I'm curious to know what fabric you chose for the 365 quilt.....can you post a pic; I'm still trying to figure out what to use and how many different colors/patterns of fabric I'm gonna need.
Carol, I have the Union Blues JR in my stash, and some leftover Lexington. I'll need to get some really dark blues, then I'll figure out the rest as I need it!

Monique
January 5th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Good morning Blondie. It is nice to have you back.

I now have a full out knock out cold, ten times worse than the man cold. I am getting so tired of coughing. I am supposed to attend a meeting tonight but I am wondering if I should cancel.

I received my order from Craftsy yesterday. BOY that was fast shipping. I ordered just before New Years. Lovely fabric, not disappointed at all. I made myself the large orange peel template and would really like to make this quilt. I should write down all the quilts I would like to make.

We are still in a deep freeze today. -25C translates to -13F. That is FREEKING COLD! It won't last long thank goodness but I hate the cold.

Have a great day friends. Stay WARM!!

Carol336
January 5th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Good morning everyone. Blondie, it's so good to see you back. Sounds like you had a great getaway with Luscious.....I love Williamsburg too.

I have so many projects on my todo list....I'll probably need to sew all day every day for the next 6 months to get it all done. And my first quilt came back from the LQS a week before christmas (6 weeks early). It looks so beautiful....I just keep looking at it,feeling it, unfolding and refolding it.....just can't believe I made it. I need to get the binding and a sleeve for hanging sewn on. It's supposed to hang on the wall, but right now I have it folded on the back of our couch and I love how it looks there.....not sure it's ever gonna make it to the wall - LOL. I'll post a pic later.

Good luck with your new Job Sherry.

Celia - hope you have a good pacemaker check up. I've had a pacemaker since 1968....yep you read that right - 48 years. Hardly know I have it, except of course until it comes time for a generator change and I've lost count of how many of those I've had. Used to be a week's stay in the hospital.....now it's done outpatient!!!

Have a great day everyone

Ginny B
January 5th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Good morning everyone. Brrrrrrr -- our coldest morning since last March here. It was 12 degrees with a windchill below zero when I woke up this morning. I've got layers ready to put on to keep myself warm at work. I have a vent over my area that blows nothing but cold air even though "they" insist it's heat. And since I am not the only one complaining about how chilly it was there yesterday, I know it's not just me.

Blondie, glad to hear you and hubby had a nice getaway. Dh and I haven't been away in a while. I'm thinking we need a trip to our favorite B&B in CT in the not-too-distant future. Sherri, glad to hear you are going to be beginning a new job next week. Try not to think of your time at your last position as completely wasted time. I am sure you learned things while you were there and are taking something from that time with you or at the very least, it served as a job to tide you over until a better one came along. And enjoy Ashley and Connor! :)

Have a great day. Stay warm and cozy.

Mpyles
January 5th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Cheers in the New Year to all! Glad to hear everyone is getting along fine! Nice to hear you got a little get away for the new year Blondie! Sherry best wishes in your new job! Have a great day everyone!

Bubby
January 5th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Morning Everyone,

Blondie, it's so good to have you back. It sounds like you and LL had a great getaway. Jeff and I need to do the same thing.

Sherri, I'm glad you accepted the new position. Best of luck.

My friend Verna died suddenly last weekend and her services will be today. She was a pillar in our community as well as a good friend. Please pray for her husband Jim and their five children and grands.

Yesterday I packed away our Christmas things and we took them to storage when Jeff got home. The house looks so bare.

I have much to do today. Have a blessed day everyone.

MayinJerset
January 5th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Good Morning Blondie, Yes, it's Tuesday! 123774
So good to see your morning post, we've been missing you giving us a bright and cheerful way to begin our day. Glad you and DH had a good vacation, sadly vacations end too soon. Enjoyed a quick look through your pinterest, bookmarked it so I can check it out when I have more time as there are such wonderful ideas to keep the creative juices flowing.

Hear DH moving about in the kitchen, hopefully he has the coffee ready as I need some ASAP. I'd do the morning coffee but he likes to do it himself as it keeps me here at the computer and he's free to enjoy his breakfast while watching Mike and Mike sports show on TV. Continuing to put the holiday stuff away, yesterday the fresh tree and big centerpiece went into the trash after their ornaments were taken off and packaged for next year. Everything is on the dining room table ready for storage. Only thing left is the evergreen door wreath but I think i'll leave it there as our Winter decoration as it looks so nice against the white door.

Good luck Sherri in your new position,
Barb, Sorry to hear of your friend's passing.
Monique - Hope your cold gets better ASAP.

SewnByBee
January 5th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Good Morning everyone.

I'm so jealous. Having the get away is something I've been wanting to do too. You know what, I think New Years would be the perfect time too. Choosing a time has been the hard part, but maybe next year Michael and I will try New Years.

blondie I'm So glad you had a wonderful time. So good to see you.

I'M. working on my list, trying to set a doable list. I USUALLY take on more than I can get done. I'll have to giveJenny. Some of the blame for that, she and her fabulous ideas on her quick quilt patterns seems to have caused me to make quite a list I have made for my bucket list. I am going to pick a couple. To settle for, and commit to finnish the one I've got started. I do want to make one for my daughter, to give K and Z after this year.I just can't decide which one. The double wedding ring is on my list, but we both like the Irish Chain too and the Big Star quilt would be a stunner. I want to make baby quilts, receiving blankets and some other goodies for the baby too. Oh my, I've got to be smart with my picking cause time will be challenging with the baby due in May. Geeeee whizzzz...... time goes by soooooo fast.
HOW oh HOW will I ever choose.the one. The grandbaby'S will be easier since I've already picked most of my fabric out. Yep. I had picked up receiving blanket material. Then I went on M* and found .Peekaboo Bears, which I fell for, I mean the line is flannel and it was too cute to pass up. So I went ahead and got it. Now she says she likes Wales too.So I guess I need to make a Wale quilt as Well. Right. Lol.

IT IS SO Cold........I HOPE THIS MOVES ON SOON , I PREFER OUR PART OF, OF ALABAMA TO STAY NEAR THE 70 NOT 19 . BURRRR RABIT...TO COLD FOR ME......EVEN WITH THE FIRE PLACE (WHICH I do love to use, but...) I'd rather have the warm sun any day.

Well, looks like I have a list to work on, So I'll put my thinking cap on nd see how things are going to work best. Maybe I'll get my sewing machine back this week.SO I can get started.

Stay warm,.... be blessed......all...................Bee
................123776.....I got a giggle...... hope you do too.

Sheep Farmer
January 5th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Good Morning Everyone!
It's nice to see you back, Blondie. :)

I'm working on one of the quilts in my bucket list... a hexagon quilt.
I'm using the 5" template, so it's going easy enough... just gotta keep things in order.
Well, I'm chain piecing the rows and being very careful to keep the pieces in order but things can go way wrong sometimes....

As I was merrily sewing along, I noticed my bobbin was almost empty so I made a MENTAL note to change it. http://forum.notebookreview.com/data/attachments/83/83091-eee4f0234bd36fb7a069b3e4d914ca44.jpg
(Yeah, I bet you can see where this is going....)

I ended up sewing little half-hexi pieces to about 15 rows not knowing that all the pieces were simply falling to the floor behind my sewing machine. And to make matters worse, none of the rows got chained together because there was no bobbin thread. So I ended up with a huge pile of confusion that needed to be sorted out.
http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb/20061107/Danger-Warning-Sign-132090.jpg

I grabbed my pile and headed to the design wall to match up all the rows.
It took a little while, but I eventually got it all matched up.

Let's just chalk this one up to LESSON LEARNED, eh?

Jean Sewing Machine
January 5th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Good Morning Everyone!
It's nice to see you back, Blondie. :)

I'm working on one of the quilts in my bucket list... a hexagon quilt.
I'm using the 5" template, so it's going easy enough... just gotta keep things in order.
Well, I'm chain piecing the rows and being very careful to keep the pieces in order but things can go way wrong sometimes....

As I was merrily sewing along, I noticed my bobbin was almost empty so I made a MENTAL note to change it. http://forum.notebookreview.com/data/attachments/83/83091-eee4f0234bd36fb7a069b3e4d914ca44.jpg
(Yeah, I bet you can see where this is going....)

I ended up sewing little half-hexi pieces to about 15 rows not knowing that all the pieces were simply falling to the floor behind my sewing machine. And to make matters worse, none of the rows got chained together because there was no bobbin thread. So I ended up with a huge pile of confusion that needed to be sorted out.
http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb/20061107/Danger-Warning-Sign-132090.jpg

I grabbed my pile and headed to the design wall to match up all the rows.
It took a little while, but I eventually got it all matched up.

Let's just chalk this one up to LESSON LEARNED, eh?
My friend and I have shirts that say " It's all fun and games til the bobbin runs out"! So true!

pcbatiks
January 5th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Good morning.

Libby.......there is no such thing as laughing too much. :D Eating too much....yes...but laughing to much.....no such thing.

Blondie......glad to see you posting again.

Sherri.....I sure hope this new job will be the right one for you.

Barb....sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Hugs to you.

Sheep Farmer.....mixing up pieces is no fun. Try taking a picture of them on the design wall before you start sewing. If you get mixed up you can refer to the picture.

Hope everyone has a great day.

cv quilter
January 5th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Good morning Blondie and all! Yep, it's Tuesday here, too. Rainy here. Gonna have a rainy, cold week. That's OK, we desperately need the rain. Blondie, what a lovely gift you received. How very nice to just get away and relax. And in the lap of luxury yet! If your bed was wonderful and you had double sinks and toilets that flushed, THAT'S LUXURY :) I have a dentist appointment today. Not looking forward to it, but it's necessary. Doing some Costco and Home Depot shopping first. Then home to work in my sewing room. I hope that all of you have something to smile about today. Sitting here in my warm, cozy home with a cup of coffee and my DH and sweet dog, Snickers, at my side, I have much to smile about and be thankful for! Good day, everyone.

Sheep Farmer
January 5th, 2016, 11:56 AM
. . . Sheep Farmer.....mixing up pieces is no fun. Try taking a picture of them on the design wall before you start sewing. If you get mixed up you can refer to the picture.

EVERY quilt I've made I have ALWAYS taken a photo of it on the design wall before sewing.
EVERY TIME . . . (except this time). :icon_rolleyes:

judimccl
January 5th, 2016, 01:20 PM
So glad to see you back Blondie! Yes, it is nice to get away for a while and feel like you are being pampered lol. Enjoy that coffee and I will have a cup with you. :icon_wave:

judimccl
January 5th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Hope you feel better soon Monique. I have respiratory problems and I know sometimes I start coughing and can't seem to stop - and I worry about aggravating people around me. Your part about the deep freeze made me shiver for sure. Yes, -13 is FREEKING COLD, and I don't know how you people live in temperatures like that. It is in the 60s here in South Florida and I will admit I am a baby when it comes to the cold - nice hot cup of coffee, fireplace on, and watching the wind whip through the trees outside. Definitely stay warm and take care of that cold. :icon_wave:

LauraP
January 5th, 2016, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=Ginny B;833538] I've got layers ready to put on to keep myself warm at work. I have a vent over my area that blows nothing but cold air even though "they" insist it's heat. And since I am not the only one complaining about how chilly it was there yesterday, I know it's not just me.

We had the same problem at the hospital I worked at. In the winter the vents blew cold and in the summer they blew hot. No one would pay any attention until we finally told the maintenance men that if they didn't fix it we were all going to strip down and they would have to deal with our fifty plus bodies. Since their office was across the hall from ours they decided to fix the problem. I love how easy men are to manipulate:)

Judy, USMC
January 5th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Morning all! I'm slowly getting into some semblance of a routine. It's so good to be back on the forum and checking in. Since Nov 2014 I feel I've been bouncing around like a pinball. Couldn't make any plans - just reacting to situations - and that's not my preferred way of living. Now that I'm back to my Carolina home I've got a ton of catching up to do (especially INSIDE this house.)

So glad to hear you had a mini vacation in the lap of luxury, Blondie. I really missed reading your posted morning greetings.

And I know where you're coming from Sheep Farmer! Getting out of a habit just one time jumps up and bites me , too.

Sorry to hear about your loss Bubby. And any of you suffering through the cold temperatures - my sympathy - especially if your not feeling well.

Sounds like a lot of changes in store for some - visitors, new homes, reorganizing, and new projects. I'm trying to enroll in the 365 blocks but having a hard time getting FB to accept my email addy. Think I'd use the Union Blues and Lexington combo also.

Well I pinballed again - started this reply at 10:30 EST and just posting this now. Is there late-onset ADD in store for me in 2016?