PDA

View Full Version : Repurposing Used Spools...anyone???

bhaggerty
January 3rd, 2016, 12:20 AM
Here are my empty spools for this year. It is fun to see about how many I use each year. Sometimes it is a lot, other years not so much...

My question for you all is do any of you have any neat ideas for repurposing spools?
When I was little my grandmother would use the wooden spools to make baby toys or throw them in the furnace/fire place.
Saw this at Jo-Ann's today...123623
Any other ideas?????

K. McEuen
January 3rd, 2016, 12:24 AM
This guy, https://www.facebook.com/jim.staudacher?fref=photo on Facebook uses the wooden ones ....

I included one of his pictures so those of you without a facebook account could see them.

bhaggerty
January 3rd, 2016, 12:29 AM
Wow! Carving wooden spools!
Pretty impressive!

My plastic ones are getting ready to go into he recycling bin!

mischiefkat
January 3rd, 2016, 12:51 AM
I take my empty spools to the school for use in crafts. kathy

Kat Smith
January 3rd, 2016, 12:54 AM
You could cut out foam shapes and glue them on the ends for children's stamps.
Kathy

Aussiejan
January 3rd, 2016, 01:03 AM
Glue scraps of fabric to them and create - A Mobile for a Baby - Christmas Decorations for your tree - String together to hang or drape on a window or somewhere in your sewing room - Decorate a wreath and add a "Do not disturb sign" for your sewing room door. You could also wind yarn around them and glue it. You could perhaps glue beads or glitter to the top and bottom "rims". Just some ideas off the top of my head :)
Cheers Jan

bubba
January 3rd, 2016, 01:05 AM
I use Aurifil thread and when the spool is finally empty, I save them. When I buy spools of ribbon that I use to trims on my bags, I remove one end of the spool (it pops right off), slide the ribbon spools on and replace the end. The spool will hold four spools of ribbon and it keeps them all together.

CraftySweetPeas
January 3rd, 2016, 01:25 AM
Do you ever look on Pinterest? There are some pretty neat ideas there....https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=plastic%20thread%20spool&rs=typed&term_meta%5B%5D=plastic%7Ctyped&term_meta%5B%5D=thread%7Ctyped&term_meta%5B%5D=spool%7Ctyped

Deegles
January 3rd, 2016, 01:37 AM
I have done some research and actually it makes a great cookies press!!! You can attach the following recipe and give it to all your quilting friends!

SPOOL COOKIES!
Makes 6 dozen

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup oleo or margarine
1 cup cooking oil (Crisco oil)
2 eggs
5 cups flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla
red or green jello or colored sugar

Mix first four ingredients well. Add eggs and mix well again, then add dry ingredients slowly. Make into small balls and dip one side into dry jello/colored sugar. Put on an ungreased cookie sheet (colored side up) and slightly flatten with the END of a plastic thread spool. Place in oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly brown.

MayinJerset
January 3rd, 2016, 01:41 AM
I save the empty spools for my guild's bi-annual quilt show. A huge clear jar is filled with spools of all sizes and the person who come closest to guessing the number of spools in the jar wins a nice quilty prize.

mischiefkat
January 3rd, 2016, 02:07 AM
I save the empty spools for my guild's bi-annual quilt show. A huge clear jar is filled with spools of all sizes and the person who come closest to guessing the number of spools in the jar wins a nice quilty prize.
That's a clever idea. kathy

mischiefkat
January 3rd, 2016, 02:14 AM
bhaggerty, I like your use of a mesh bag to save your spools in. I usually store mine in an small empty waste basket. I'm going make use my old mesh bag and get rid of the waste basket. Thanks Kathy

Monique
January 3rd, 2016, 09:04 AM
I have my wooden ones in a glass jar on display.

Connie Jo
January 3rd, 2016, 10:11 AM
I'd love to have enough wooden ones to make a wreath,

Sandy Navas
January 3rd, 2016, 10:35 AM
The bigger cones work well as a funnel to fill pincushions with crushed walnut shells, or to fill "I Spy" bags with plastic pellets.

bhaggerty
January 3rd, 2016, 11:44 AM
Great ideas all!!!!
Thank you!!!!!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 3rd, 2016, 11:54 AM
I have 2 cats, so I trow one or two their way once in awhile. They enjoy pushing along the floor, as I have ceramic in the basement, it makes different noises to keep them entertained.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 3rd, 2016, 12:03 PM
I have to share a warning for asthma sufferers. I have long kept my used plastic cones - no problems. I also have quite an extensive collection of wooden spools with thread on them, some silk, cotton, linen dating back probably 100 years. In organizing my sewing room recently, I decided I wanted to display them in a large glass jar, but I wanted to remove the threads. So New Year's Eve was quiet at our place this year, opting to skip the usual parties. So I started removing the threads. Oh, there was dust on some, but I had not occured how much dust, possibly mould. Needless to say, about 1pm, I started coughing and almost choking from either the dust fibres or possible allergens in the threads. Note to self, wear a mask in future when working with old supplies. I was going to organize my old buttons, as someone recently gave me another tin of their grandma's buttons. As we visited our LQS, one of the women got nostalgic about an old button jar, which a distanced sister took when their mom died. I went back and gave her the tin. Pay it forward, make some's day has been my theme in the past few months, and will continue. Happy new year everyone.

Mimis-quilts
January 3rd, 2016, 06:12 PM
My grandkids play with them sometimes...but mostly they are just filling up a basket under my sewing table.

quiltsRfun
January 3rd, 2016, 07:27 PM
Cute ideas but mine just go in the trash bin as soon as they're empty.

Kat Smith
January 3rd, 2016, 10:06 PM
spool knitting with the wooden ones.

jjkaiser
January 3rd, 2016, 10:48 PM
Save them for yet another project? Are you all nuts?! I just throw mine away and I have never felt guilty about it either! You remind me of my dh who cannot throw away a wine cork. Now we must have bags of them, at least 200 I would guess, and one of these days they are going to find their way into the garbage. Accidentally. Of course.

mommamarsh
January 3rd, 2016, 11:40 PM
I thought of cat toys ,for the plastics.Hot glue feathers in hole , hot glue fabric scraps, tied in bows or just knotted with end dangling , around core. Or thread scraps thru center hole and knot off . An animal shelter might like to have them , if you don't have a cat. Older kids could do these, with the hot glue or younger ones could do the tied ones.

bhaggerty
January 4th, 2016, 02:35 AM
Love the spool garland idea!
And to think I was going to throw them out this week ! :D

Quiltfreestyle
January 4th, 2016, 12:52 PM
When I was a kid my Nanny would give us the empty wooden ones to paint & use like beads for necklaces. Boy were they ugly, but it kept us busy, haha
Now I just recycle them along with other plastic things. I am trying to simplify my life so I'm not hoarding anything unless I will REALLY REALLY use it.. no more holding onto to junk because I could make something out of it... now if I could just break my DH of his hoarding tendencies..