PDA

View Full Version : New Years traditions

Marta
December 31st, 2015, 09:04 AM
Lots of traditions and superstions about New Years here in Rio. It starts with what colors you are wearing at midnight. White is for peace and general well being. Add something yellow for wealth, pink for love, red for passion, green for good health. There might be more colors but that's all I know. The first food you eat after midnight should be lentils . I think it has something to do with money. On the First no poultry or any seafood that moves backwards. People also believe that what you do on Jan 1st is what you will do most the coming year. I am going to clean my sewing space today and tomorrow spend some time on UFO's. Hope to find a good movie to watch with Husband and daughter in the evening. I am not going to cook,wash dishes, sweep or iron! Feliz Ano Novo

KPH
December 31st, 2015, 10:45 AM
I'll be cooking collards and black-eye peas for tomorrows dinner. Mike's supposed to bring over a pork roast. If DH's Papa was still with us, I'd be cooking neck bones. Those were the days.

Happy New Years!

Marta
December 31st, 2015, 10:50 AM
When I am in USA for New Years I always make sauerkraut and pork . It is a tradition from my grandmothers Pennslyvainia Duch heritage. Here in Brazil we do leftover cold ham or some sort of whole meal salad. No turning on the oven or heavy greasy yummy winter foods. It is in the 100's here.

Angelia
December 31st, 2015, 12:04 PM
Blackeyed peas, here.

Carolnnc
December 31st, 2015, 01:09 PM
People also believe that what you do on Jan 1st is what you will do most the coming year.

Oh man! I use New's Year Day to clean out all the old files and get things set up to do my taxes. I definitely don't want to do that all year! Hubby has the rare day off so I think I'll just smooch on him instead! (and throw in some quilting)

alliek
December 31st, 2015, 01:50 PM
Marta, Must be the German backround, we do pork and saurkraut for New Years Day also. I don't know if I am doing that since it will only be myself,DH and my mom. A bit heavy. I think I may do a pulled pork, easy, make it in the crock pot on biscuits with a cole slaw side. Easy, I want easy. Cleaning today, relaxing tonight, watching Times Square and marvelling at all those people in "pens" willing to stand there for hours and hours to watch the ball come down! Aah youth!!! Happy New Year to all, many blessings to all in 2016 may it turn out to be a year of peace and good will.

Kat Smith
December 31st, 2015, 02:15 PM
I was just going to ask if anyone had any special traditions for New Years. I am about to start cleaning and change my bed. My Mother always said you start the New Year in a clean house and a clean bed. AT midnight she always opened both the front and back doors to let the old year out and the new one in. I guess I must have done this somewhere along the line, when the kids where small, as well, because some of them now do it. Or maybe it was from all those New Year's Eves they spent with Grannie.

Wishing everyone a very Happy, Healthy, Safe and Peaceful 2016,

Kathy

grandma nurse
December 31st, 2015, 10:50 PM
Oh yes, must have black eyed pea's. I have them in the crock pot now getting ready. MIL always said you had good luck for the number of days that went with the number of pea's you ate. So we always make certain that we eat at least 365 just to be sure.

BethB
December 31st, 2015, 11:01 PM
We'll be having pork and sauerkraut here also. This has been a tradition in my family for as long as I can remember -- and that is a very long time!!!

mommamarsh
December 31st, 2015, 11:29 PM
No food traditions ,unless DH want black eyed peas. I have heard about what you do etc, so I plan to sew some and ride my horse,if just for 5 or 10 minutes. Last year stunk as far as riding and maybe I can change that !?! Getting a new refrigerator tomorrow and have to clean out the old one. ICK ! Wonder if I cross my fingers that won't stick ? Blessed,Happy New Year to one and all !

baskets4deb
December 31st, 2015, 11:31 PM
Fire in the wood stove - check
Pajamas on - check
Local cheese, fruit and bread plate - check
Local bubbly - check
Cuddled up under a quilt - check
Walking Dead marathon - check

That's my New Year's Eve!

Leslie333
January 1st, 2016, 01:21 AM
Black eyed peas tomorrow (Hubby's southern US tradition) and pork and sauerkraut (my PA German heritage tradition). We also did red beans and rice tonight, more southern tradition.

MayinJerset
January 1st, 2016, 01:43 AM
Neither DH or I have family traditions for New Years. When I was a kid we had a tradition of sorts, Mom would go to bed with the younger kids, Dad was at the corner Bar and we 4 older kids played Bingo while our Grandfather told us stories about how things were when he grew up. January 1 was grandpa's Bday but I don't remember ever celebrating with a cake.

Grandpa did say whatever you do on New Years Day you'll do all year so I plan to sew and make a quick and easy dinner. We are going to have a pork roast, only because it was on sale this week. Not much trouble to cook - just put roast and sweet potatoes in the oven, no sauerkraut, and zap some green veggies and we'll have a nice dinner and leftovers for the next day.