PDA

View Full Version : Sickly Night Owl

toggpine
December 31st, 2015, 05:08 AM
I caved in and went to the Dr today. I figured this was headed for a full blown sinus infection, since we finally hit the family deductible with Emily's hearing appointments, this is a minimum cost visit, unless I waited until Friday. Then we start all over and I'd pay the full freight.
Now I get the fun effects of the steroids to dry this up with the charming chaser of antibiotics. There goes the drunken New Year's party. Ok. Not really. Why waste money on booze when I could buy fabric?
I'm going to sleep while I can, since one of the lovely side effects for me is insomnia. Which is fine, since they also make men pee every 10 minutes. Somebody better warn the remaining Ninjabread men that they aren't safe either while I'm taking these pills. I know you are ninjas, but you are also cookies, and that makes all the difference!

I hope you are all safe in your trees tonight as the atmospheric river dumps the rain on already soaked parts of the country.
Hugs, Cathy

kimsophia
December 31st, 2015, 05:37 AM
Sorry you're sick, toggpine. Do eat some cookies for me :) I made some brownies the other night and my husband likes this new recipe off the back of the Ghiradelli semi-sweet bar wrapper. Usually he's not so crazy about my brownies because he likes them fudgy/chewy and I like them more cake-like. Also I put powdered sugar on them, which he likes. So, I feel like a success as a wife...lol

The Bulls won in overtime. Whew, what a game. The Pacers played great and stole the ball what seemed like a dozen times! Great defense by them, too. Actually it was a couple of lucky shots that got us the win, IMO. And the Pacers seemed tired going in to the overtime. We played a quadruple overtime earlier this year. Crazy.

As for sewing, I haven't been in the mood to sew one bit. I'm obsessed with video solitaire. We have five different versions. Freecell is my favorite but I even tried beginner spider solitaire. Exhausting, even with the game giving me hints! :P

The town of West Alton, MO is expecting heavy flooding. That's where my disabled buddy is from. His family moved out after the 1993 floods but he had stayed. I'm sure glad he's up here in Iowa now. That town is going to be a mess. :( It's forecast to be worse than '93 there. :(

sewlucky
December 31st, 2015, 06:15 AM
Feel better soon Toggpine!

Kim, I haven't been much in the mood to sew either, mostly just doing a lot of thinking about it. I have knit a lot over the holiday though. Here's what I've been knitting! I made one for all the grown ladies in my family, plus one for each of a few friends. And three for me. They make me smile!

I made two quilts for Christmas gifts, and both were well received. I made sewluvit a jelly roll race backed with minkee, a combination she kept telling me she really likes so I decided it would be a quick nice gift :). We spent 5 nights visiting there over the holiday and she spent a lot of time under it, with at least one of our dogs with her, lol.

I napped too long on my new couch today...sleep is not coming easily.

Terri

Carol336
December 31st, 2015, 06:23 AM
Hoot Hoot - awake since 3, finally got up at 4. Someone please tell me how I'm going to make it to midnight tonight......hopefully a nap is in my future, but since I rarely can sleep during the day that's doubtful.

Glad, I think, you got the meds started Cathy, before it turned into something really ugly. And my it sounds like you have a lovely couple of days ahead of you.

Kim, I love spider solitaire, and I've worked myself up to using 2 decks. But right now I'm obsessed with a card game called tri-peaks.Give it a try, it's fun.

Hope everyone is in their tree hole sawing logs right now. As for me, I'm off to get some joe.

Lightwriter
December 31st, 2015, 07:59 AM
Cathy, I have always wondered why steroids can be helpful in getting rid of the "creeping crud" (what I call bronchitis, etc) and cause such crazy side effects. I flush solid red for about tweve hours, don't sleep, want to munch...gain at least 5-10 pounds you can't lose later. Even the steroid shots for my orthopedic problems also cause the same side effects. Can't live with it, can't live withot it. Good luck getting rid of your mess.

Finally got to sew today for first time in over two months. Almost was like I had forgotten how. I feel another reorganization of my sewing space coming up. If you move one thing it all wants to fall. It does ok until you have to move stuff...I share my sewing space with storage space...the sewing stuff gets put in front of and on top of storage. I had to move stuff at Christmas to get to other stuff and the dominos started falling. I have it "fixed" temporarily until I can come up with better solution.

Have a great New Year's Eve. 2015 was a strange little creature, hoping 2016 will be more peaceful in all sorts of ways.

SewnByBee
December 31st, 2015, 08:23 AM
I'm up too, yep....steroids........ they help so much....... if they don't kill ya lol
I'm still waiting on my machine, the shop want open till the fourth. So.... I he been hand piecing some blocks to make a few stockings from left over holiday fabrics. Ill see if I can finish it todaywell, well as much as I can.

Hope you all feel better soon.

I'll be right here at home through New Years I don't dare leave the house tonight I'll watch the ball drop and go to bed..........maybe. lol.

Happy New year everyone.........Bee

MayinJerset
December 31st, 2015, 09:49 AM
Cathy, Hope you're feeling better by now - being sick is no way to begin a new year. How many ninjas have you done away with so far?

EnumclawGramma
December 31st, 2015, 11:28 AM
I am so sorry you're not feeling well. What is it about the holidays? Maybe it's that we're out and about so much we get exposed to way more than we're used to.....I don't know. My solution? Neti pot every day!

I got the steroid shot a couple years ago for a stuffy ear infection and wasn't warned about possible side effects. The real problem was that it coincided with my quitting smoking, a PERFECT storm. Nobody put the pieces to the puzzle together until like....two months of anxiety and adrenaline dumps in the middle of the night. I don't even use sinus sprays with steroid now. No. Thank. You.

Feel better soon Kathy. Too many people need you.

blc
December 31st, 2015, 01:19 PM
The Dr's office was certainly busy yesterday. I too came home with a steroid shot and antibiotics and it isn't even mountain cedar season yet which means I will certainly be revisiting him in a few weeks. No sleep here last night so I quietly went up the stairs to Le Loft and started sewing on a scrap quilt. I made 32 disappearing 4 patch blocks, enough for a lap quilt and if the energy stays with me I may well finish it today. I've gone as long as 72 hours without sleep before after a steroid shot so we will see just how close to completion I can get that top before I crash.

toggpine
December 31st, 2015, 03:17 PM
So far only 3, maybe 4 have been devoured.

I am feeling better. I am glad I didn't wait until it got ugly before I went in.

Off to go clean something while the urge is there!

judimccl
December 31st, 2015, 05:20 PM
Sorry you are feeling ill - take those meds and rest as much as you can. Happy New Year to you and yours. :icon_wave:

judimccl
December 31st, 2015, 05:22 PM
Hope you feel better Bic. 72 hours without sleep?????????? Hope you get some rest soon and get to feeling better. :icon_wave:

judimccl
December 31st, 2015, 05:24 PM
Happy New Year to you and the family Bee. I'm sure you are counting down the days until the 4th and getting that machine back. I know if that were me it would be terrible withdrawal! :icon_wave:

mischiefkat
December 31st, 2015, 06:03 PM
A co worker of mine fell off a chair and broke her arm in a steroid induced cleaning frenzy . They are a two edged sword for sure. Take care hope all who are ill will feel better soon. kathy

jjkaiser
December 31st, 2015, 06:14 PM
Feel better soon Toggpine!

Kim, I haven't been much in the mood to sew either, mostly just doing a lot of thinking about it. I have knit a lot over the holiday though. Here's what I've been knitting! I made one for all the grown ladies in my family, plus one for each of a few friends. And three for me. They make me smile!

I made two quilts for Christmas gifts, and both were well received. I made sewluvit a jelly roll race backed with minkee, a combination she kept telling me she really likes so I decided it would be a quick nice gift :). We spent 5 nights visiting there over the holiday and she spent a lot of time under it, with at least one of our dogs with her, lol.

I napped too long on my new couch today...sleep is not coming easily.

Terri

Ooh I just love that fabric in your JRR. Please! Tell us what line it is, I want some!!! Your crochet snowmen are very cute by the way!!

sewlucky
December 31st, 2015, 08:42 PM
Ooh I just love that fabric in your JRR. Please! Tell us what line it is, I want some!!! Your crochet snowmen are very cute by the way!!

The jelly roll I used was Family Tree by Deb Strain for Moda. The colors and prints are wonderful!! I loved knitting the little elves. The pattern is a free one called Wee Jolly Elf by Churchmouse. They are only about 4" high, and I giggled when I finished each one ;). Thanks :)

Terri

sewluvit
December 31st, 2015, 10:36 PM

I was the lucky one to get the JRR family tree quilt from sewlucky. I love it and she is right, I seem to spend a lot of time curled up under my new quilt! Also found a place of honor in my sewing room for my little knitted elf :)

pcbatiks
January 1st, 2016, 12:59 AM
Hope you feel better soon, Cathy! It sounds like you might need to hidein your sewing room for awhile. Take care of yourself!

bubba
January 1st, 2016, 01:41 AM
Cathy, I hope you start feeling better soon! I have only had steroids once and after about three days they made me so hungry I waned to eat my own arm! I remember one night about 0100 I got MM to drive me over to McD's because I was so hungry! It's about 1.5 miles away. We went thru the drive thru and whatever I ordered was gone before we were halfway home. He did not know I was eating as we drove. We get home and he goes to put the food on the kitchen table and noticed mine was not there and was going to go back and get it. I told him it was going before we hit the overpass on 38th street!!! He guarded his food while he ate and I sat there drooling. Could not believe I lost 15 pounds taking those things!