PDA

View Full Version : Monday, the last before 2016

Monique
December 28th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Good morning friends. We are expecting a very big snow storm starting tonight. Not sure just how much we will get. Greg & Ashley arrive sometime late tomorrow. The house stands empty right now, just me. Les has gone to work and then stay with the Momma. The kids have gone home.

Some cleaning was done yesterday. Toys put away, stuff picked up and one load of laundry done. More to go. Trip to the dump, that kind of stuff.

It certainly has been a VERY different Christmas Season around here. I guess we will make new traditions from now on.

Have a wonderful day everyone. Stay warm and stay safe, wherever you are.

Thinking of all of you in the path of terrible storms and flooding.

Bubby
December 28th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Just checking in while our power is up again. I'm so glad we filled our propane tank last week. So far we have had 13+ inches of rain and it's still raining hard and it's in the 30's.

We moved everything off the floors that we can and we have an emergency evacuation plan. Both vehicles are loaded with quilts and sewing machines and other important items. Jeff has to go to work today because there are 1500 inmates there that could possibly need to be evacuated. Our satellite has been down since early yesterday and our power off and on. We still have radio when we have power and our cell phones. Dottie is nearly beside herself and won't leave my side. When she sees Jeff leave for work she will likely cry all day.

For now we are marginally okay. If this storm doesn't let up soon we will be forced to leave. Our neighbors are all on higher ground than us except for one family. We are helping each other and will evacuate at the same time if needed. Our neighbor Steve will make sure the Girls and I are okay while Jeff is gone.

We could use some extra prayers. Our prayers go out to everyone affected by this horrific storm front. We could have it so much worse. The tornados were especially devastating. Four military men were swept away by flood water here over the weekend when they tried to cross flood water in a vehicle.

I will check in again later if possible.

SewnByBee
December 28th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Good morning, prayers. For all of you.

I was watching the weather, it's going to be bad today.
More storms and rain. It's gonna be bad on the roads here.

I was planning to move some things while Michael was off, they want them there so again, my stuff is on hold. I don't know how this is going to get done but I know it will.

We usually have a week before Christmas and a week after but not this time. He's had to travel a good bit of the year. I hope for a little more time this next year.

Take care........ prayers......... and blessing....... to you all

shirleyknot
December 28th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Fingers crossed for you. Waiting for sunup to see where the water stands here.

ceiliam
December 28th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Prayers being sent your way Bubby, most important of all stay safe. Prayers for you Shirley knot, and to all of you being affected by these storms.
My sisters and I are headed to Vegas today to celebrate my sisters and my birthday. We don't gamble or drink but a great outlet store and love their quilt shop there. Aren't we the wild bunch? Lol
Stay safe all prayers and hugs to all

mischiefkat
December 28th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Prayers for all that are in harms way. Having done this be ready to evacuate thing before, I can relate to your situation. I pray that everyone stays safe, in their own homes, and the threat passes. Love and hugs Kathy

quiltingtrish
December 28th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Prayers for ANYONE in the wake of the devastating weather anywhere - geez, it just keeps on coming, doesn't it?

Sandy Navas
December 28th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Sending hope, prayers, love and all to everyone in the path of this storm - so far we've been lucky with only a dusting of snow over night - though the weatherman is saying freezing rain on top of it.

Those threatened by the winds and water, please take care and be safe. To all our friends who have had disaster strike, know we're with you in spirit as you face the devastation.

Bouse
December 28th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Praying for you all affected by this dreadful weather on both sides of the Atlantic.

MayinJerset
December 28th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Barb & Shirley - Hope the rain lets up soon and flooding lessens but glad you have prepared for to leave if necessary. It's difficult to imagine your situation while sitting here and seeing a clear and sunny day outside. Pray you all weather this storm and no more people lose their lives and/or homes.

MRoy
December 28th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Prayers for all who are having the really bad weather. It's showering here now, but we're supposed to have thunderstorms later with a high of 71. We're under a flash flood watch but we live in one of the highest areas of our county so I don't think flooding will be an issue for us other than maybe water seeping into our basement.

Everyone please stay safe!

irishrn
December 28th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Sending hugs and good wishes for all in the path of these storms! I am so sorry to hear how it has devastated the area and the damage that has been done. Please stay safe!

We managed to get thru our Christmas celebration on Saturday with the DD and her BFF arriving, with my DH's grand dtr as a surprise! She stayed in the car and called him to say "hello" but was walking into the house as they were talking! When he saw her, while still talking to her on the phone, he got so confused and didn't know who she was.
He pulled me aside and whispered to me.... Who is that girl? " Honey, that's your grand dtr Lauren! She came here to surprise you for Christmas" He said... It is, oh OK!
Then he walked back to her for another hug!
It was so sad I thought I was going to cry right then.... But held it together to get the kids inside and settled. When I told my DD what happened she was upset too! Later I realized Lauren realized he didn't know who she was. Just sad all around! DH just loves her so much! But their visit so far has been good.
Today we have to go back to neurologist for reck so I hope we have more options!
In the meantime... One day at a time!

Hugs to all!,

RockinLou
December 28th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Good morning and many prayers to you all!

My MIL has finally been released from the hospital and is home again. My husband is there for a few days helping her get re-settled. She received her COC quilt and absolutely loves it. I can't thank Blondie and the COC gang enough for the joy you share with others and the comfort you bring them in times of need. I"m sure it's been there for some time, but we don't speak often, so I didn't know until my husband got there.

I have my kids in swim camp today, so my job is to figure out, again, how to thread my serger and finish a few tops I have all cut out and ready to go...... I have a venti latte in hand and a pile of fabric. I'm going to turn a blind eye to the torrential rain outside today and say prayers for safety for those in real danger.

shirleyknot
December 28th, 2015, 11:20 AM
The road at the end of my drive is under 3 feet of running water, dry weather creek going around my hill on 3 sides is well over its banks and covering my lower pasture. The top of this hill with the house and barn is about 2 acres and in no danger, but I won't be going anywhere for a few days. AAANNNDD......its still raining.

Pic from the road a couple years ago. You can see my little home, WAAAY up there. Where I stood to take the pic is now under a good bit of water.

bhaggerty
December 28th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Praying for all affected by these dreadful storms! Hope you are all ok!
Rainy and cold here, but not flooding and above freezing!

Stay safe all!

KPH
December 28th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Prayers for all in the grips of this miserable weather.

We had a couple of days where the sun actually made a peek through the clouds. I was so thankful. DH and I scrubbed the deck the day after Christmas, sweating up a storm. So very unusual for this time of year. It was a chore, but I'm glad it's done.

The dreary is back and the house is back in order. Now it's time to get ready for the grandkids visit. DS is supposed to bring one of their stockings that I made back so I can make Zeke's stocking to match the rest of the families. DH and I are going to go back through the project boxes to find where I left the charm pack. I hope I have left over backing as well. Planning on getting the fronts of the stockings done before they get here Thursday... so I guess I'd better get started!

Carol336
December 28th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Praying for Barb, Shirley and all in the path of this devastating storm. Don't wait too long to move out of harms way!!!1

Hoping for a quiet day here. I've got my 2nd load of wash in the washer and one more to go. Might try to put some of the christmas decorations away. We leave the tree up till Epiphany (1/6) but the rest can come down.

I need to have another fruit day to try to counteract the effects of all the holiday goodies. And it might be a good idea to rid the house of those too - well maybe not all - LOL

Have a great day everyone

Cathy F
December 28th, 2015, 11:54 AM
My prayers are with you and all that are being affected by this devastating weather. I hope you do not have to evacuate your home. Will look for your updates.

cv quilter
December 28th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Definitely praying for all who are facing threats from this terrible weather system. Bubby, my thoughts and extra prayers are with you especially. So hard to be facing this without the presence of Jeff. We are watching the weather channel and I'm reading all the posts and hold each one of you in my thoughts.

songbird857
December 28th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Oh Barb, Shirley, and anyone else dealing with this weather right now; praying for safety and that it subsides soon.

jjkaiser
December 28th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Barb & Shirley you both sound so calm there. I can't imagine living with the threat of immediate evacuation being necessary. I would be torn between being glued to the window and being afraid to look!! I sure hope things calm down and you aren't forced out of your homes. What a scary time. We are thinking of you all right now. Be safe.

judimccl
December 28th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Will say prayers that you stay safe. :icon_wave:

shirleyknot
December 28th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Barb & Shirley you both sound so calm there. I can't imagine living with the threat of immediate evacuation being necessary. I would be torn between being glued to the window and being afraid to look!! I sure hope things calm down and you aren't forced out of your homes. What a scary time. We are thinking of you all right now. Be safe.

I'm calm for 2 reasons, first being, this happens to me every few years so I'm used to dealing with it, and second because there is no chance of evacuation needed. I just won't be getting out any time soon.

Sharyn J
December 28th, 2015, 01:57 PM
My prayers to all of you affected with the storms. I can't imagine preparing to evacuate and all the worry and fear involved. We made the grand-kids drive home yesterday as we were expecting ice storms this morning. Good thing they left. Our roads are covered with ice and will probably remain that way all day.

Now, it's time for me to get serious about cleaning up my sewing stuff. I wish all of you a good day. Stay safe!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 28th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Hope all in harms way are or will be safe. I have a basement full of soggy carpeting to deal with, but that's nothing like having to evacuate your home!

Must move the stash today, that ought to be fun!

Simply Quilting
December 28th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Prayers for those affected by the horrible weather.

I am glad that we are done traveling for the Christmas season and that we avoided any severe weather. Two long and wonderful days with family - treasuring them while we can. Today will be putting away stuff, laundry and house cleaning. I am hoping this evening that I can spend some time working on a baby quilt for a friend of mine.

Have a safe Monday everyone :)

Dollyquilts
December 28th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Bubby, praying for you and Jeff and the girls, as well as your neighbors. That old saying is a wise one, "Turn around, don't drown." So sad about the military families. Texas has been hit hard in other areas, but we are doing great in Houston. Take care and stay safe.

Dollyquilts
December 28th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Shirley, I didn't mean to exclude you from my prayers. I just hadn't gotten to your post yet. I hope your power holds and that you have plenty of provisions in the house.

shirleyknot
December 28th, 2015, 09:50 PM
No problem Dollyquilts. I'm in good shape here and the storm is finally over. Just waiting for the water to go down.

alliek
December 28th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Bubby, how scary. I've been praying for all affected by this terrible weather. I pray you and the girls will be safe and sound and no harm come to you. It is good to have good neighbors and friends that will care. God Bless and Keep you all safe.

LauraP
December 28th, 2015, 10:36 PM
just got home from Springdale, Arkansas. We left about noon and it was 5:30 when we got to Fredonia Kansas. Usually the trip takes about 3 hours. Due to floods in the KS, MO, ARK corner we went across to Tulsa and then up through Bartlesville and Independence. That way we were running interstate most of the way. Didn't run into snow and ice until 30 miles from home so we got lucky.

Ginny B
December 28th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Prayers for all those in the path of these storms. Be safe all and keep us posted as you can.

Finally actually feeling like December here today and we are getting a bit of sleet.

This is the week I usually take to reflect on the events of last year and start thinking about what the next year might hold and what I'd like to try to accomplish/do in the coming 12 months. Since I am having some back problems today, instead of putting away the dishes used during the holidays that are sitting on the dining room table, I will start said reflections and planning this evening with taking a look at the budget for a bit. I may also finish up my list for the "Git-er-done" group.

Have a safe night everyone.