PDA

View Full Version : OH!Oh!Oh! Do you think it really works?

mitzs
November 13th, 2011, 10:15 PM
QUILT BINDING EXPRESS? I think I want one. Has anyone ever used one of these?

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/9340/------QUILT-BINDING-EXPRESS-.htm

cyndiofthevortex
November 13th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I have never tried one, but I don't think making the binding is hard at all. I just cut it 2 1/2 inches wide and then iron it in half. It's hand-stitching the binding to the back of the quilt that I find so tedious! If they could sell a tool to make it look hand-stitched I'd buy it in a second!

Hope someone out there has one to let you know how it works.

Cyndi

ps I was at Keepsake yesterday and it is a wonderful place to wander. And I got 20 fq batiks for $25!

sunnyQLDmum
November 13th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I don't think it's worth the money. All the product does is iron your strip in half - you can do that without paying $25.99

mitzs
November 13th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I thought the binding was suppose to be folded a 1/4 on each side of the strip and Ironed and then folded in half? If this thing does those folds. I think that is wonderful.

Kizzie
November 13th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Hey mitz - to bind.... Fold strip in half and iron... then on the front of your quilt place the joint halfs flush with the outside of your quilt and sew 1/4 inch seam from outside of your quilt....then you fold to the back and hand stitch... really not worth the money below think of the FABRIC you could save from being bored at a quilt shop begging to be turned into something spectacular!

Watch how Jenny does it...

http://youtu.be/6Pmy-MlV9I0

mitzs
November 14th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Thanks Kizzie! And I agree, there is fabric out there that needs saving. lol. For some reason that just gives me the giggles.

toggpine
November 14th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Mitzs, I think you were thinking of bias tape. That often has the double fold. You can buy the handheld thingies that will bend the fabric so you can iron it like that. I have two sizes and for as often as I make bias tape, they work just fine. I think I bought them for about $5 or less with my 50% off coupon or notions sales.
The method Kizzie linked to is the way most of us do our bindings.

Bubby
November 14th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I agree it's not worth the money. Jenny has a very good tutorial on binding and it's quite easy. :)

Sandy Navas
November 14th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I just saw that this morning and laughed to myself. People will do anything to make a bit of money. Now let's see, if I could just come up with a way to magically make all the junk mail disappear from everyone's mailbox . . . I'll be back.

mitzs
November 14th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thank you everyone. I appreciate it. Tog, I think you might be right with the bias thingy. I watch that video that kizzie was so sweet to post. Whatever I was thinking of, it definitely was not that!

Sandy hun, I am glad I could make you laugh. Laughter is good for the soul. I hope your feeling all better now too.
And I am really grateful that I have all you guys to keep me from straying into the junk aisle! I have to admit I am a bit of a gadget freak. But when you have a stash to build I don't need to be wasting money on useless junk!! Hugs all around. :)

Sandy Navas
November 14th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thank you everyone. I appreciate it. Tog, I think you might be right with the bias thingy. I watch that video that kizzie was so sweet to post. Whatever I was thinking of, it definitely was not that!

Sandy hun, I am glad I could make you laugh. Laughter is good for the soul. I hope your feeling all better now too.
And I am really grateful that I have all you guys to keep me from straying into the junk aisle! I have to admit I am a bit of a gadget freak. But when you have a stash to build I don't need to be wasting money on useless junk!! Hugs all around. :)

You want to see gadgets . . . come on over to my house and I'll show you how to waste your hard-earned cash . . . from the world's WORST!!

pdjewelrylady
November 14th, 2011, 03:57 PM
HA! i know you are a front runner Sandy but listen to this.... last spring when I made the dresen flower wallhanging my mom says to me "oh, i want to make that too but i need the ruler." SO for her birthday i got her the ruler (easy dresden).... then we looked at her "other" rulers.... guess what - she already had 4 - yes 4!! - easy dresden rulers!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA:icon_rofl:

Sandy Navas
November 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM
HA! i know you are a front runner Sandy but listen to this.... last spring when I made the dresen flower wallhanging my mom says to me "oh, i want to make that too but i need the ruler." SO for her birthday i got her the ruler (easy dresden).... then we looked at her "other" rulers.... guess what - she already had 4 - yes 4!! - easy dresden rulers!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA:icon_rofl:

Just wait until I have a reason to tease her!!!!

Katherine Vickery Ringo
November 16th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I bought one of the Quilt Binding Express thingies and it works ok (I had 8 twin size bindings to make up and thought it would speed up my process)... but I wouldn't say it makes ironing the fold into the binding faster or more accurate. I think it slows me down in the end because you have to keep readjusting the strip to make sure the fold is really where it needs to be. I stopped using it.

I'd say skip it and just use a regular ironing board to iron your binding in half. It is one more thing to fool with that you don't need.

The only thing I like about it are the printed designs showing how big your binding should be when it is folded in half so you know you're ironing it straight. The problem is it is too small of an area to really iron on!

Nena
November 18th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I so agree with everyone else---save your money and use it on some fun fabric or thread. Making the binding is so easy----just the hand sewing the back part is what gets me because I am sooooo inpatient

sunnyQLDmum
November 19th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I so agree with everyone else---save your money and use it on some fun fabric or thread. Making the binding is so easy----just the hand sewing the back part is what gets me because I am sooooo inpatient

But that's my favorite part!

Step 1: pour a glass of wine (big glass)
Step 2: put on a good girly movie
Step 3: curl up on the couch with the quilt over you
Step 4: Take your sweet time stitching
Step 5: Refill glass as needed

Sandy Navas
November 19th, 2011, 12:58 PM
But that's my favorite part!

Step 1: pour a glass of wine (big glass)
Step 2: put on a good girly movie
Step 3: curl up on the couch with the quilt over you
Step 4: Take your sweet time stitching
Step 5: Refill glass as needed

Oh, how I love the way you sew . . .

Kizzie
November 19th, 2011, 01:00 PM
haha if I sewed like this... I would be pricking myself everywhere except the quilt... I'm a very lightweight alcoholic... or as my hubby puts it a cheap date ! :P hahaha

in saying that - I havent had a drink in over a year!!!!! gosh....

Nena
November 20th, 2011, 01:39 AM
I think the part of drinking a glass of wine is a good suggestions---will try it. I have 4 quilts to bind for christmas gifts and I keep putting them off.

a1angiem
July 19th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Well, I almost bought this today and am still tempted! I know it's a gadget and expensive...the tutorial video makes it look soo easy!!! must...resist...new...gadget! But Katherine's review made me be strong...if it doesn't make it easier than it's not worth my $25! Always can count on my forum to guide me...

buckeyequilter
July 19th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I have this one....at least it irons and folds (I hardly ever use it):

http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-881925-Bias-Tape-Machine/dp/B002CT3YX2

I guess if I'm going to have to iron - I'll just fold as I go.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 19th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Did you see the Kay Wood way of doing this? She uses a long pin, sticks it in her ironing board cover to make a slot 1-1/4" wide, folds the fabric in half and pulls the fabric through and irons it. Much cheaper than $26 bucks.

a1angiem
July 19th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Did you see the Kay Wood way of doing this? She uses a long pin, sticks it in her ironing board cover to make a slot 1-1/4" wide, folds the fabric in half and pulls the fabric through and irons it. Much cheaper than $26 bucks.
Yes, I have actually tried this, back in June! In theory, I think it will work very well...I just didn't have long enough pins to be secure enough to force the strips into folds...but it kind of worked for a second!

madampolo
July 19th, 2012, 04:02 PM
The hardest part is sewing the strips together. Now, someone needs to invent that!

Claire Hallman
July 19th, 2012, 07:13 PM
These little do lollies do work, come in various sizes and are pretty cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001703IYW/?tag=hyprod-20&hvadid=15473247219&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16466022471240264347&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B001703IYW

a1angiem
July 19th, 2012, 09:38 PM
These little do lollies do work, come in various sizes and are pretty cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001703IYW/?tag=hyprod-20&hvadid=15473247219&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16466022471240264347&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B001703IYW

Claire, I've seen those before but often wondered if you can only use them with strips CUT ON THE BIAS???? And they make a double fold, don't they? I only fold the binding once. Do you know? Thanks!

Claire Hallman
July 19th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I don't know the answer to the bias question but they do make a strip that has the two sides folded to the center then you can fold it in half. I would think you could use straight of grain.

Bubby
July 19th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I don't think this product is worth the money. I think you should invest your time in watching some binding tutorials and invest your $$$ in fabric instead of that gadget. :)

MRoy
July 20th, 2012, 12:08 AM
If you need something to help fold and hold the binding while you iron it, buy some long corsage pins and use the Kaye Wood method.

mommadeb
July 20th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't waste the money on it. Binding is super easy to make.

KerriS
July 20th, 2012, 05:50 AM
I think, the easiest way ist using a pin on the ironing board

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPrFfg9rtmM

Works great for bias and binding