PDA

View Full Version : hand stitching at church

mianmom
November 13th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I was just wondering if any one does any hand stitching at church? I usually take something with me to work on before the sevice starts but put it away during the anouncements? But then my hands get itchy to get back to work. I have to be doing something all the time. Its like having restless leg syndrom,but its in my hands.

Sandy Navas
November 13th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I think the Lord would be most excited to see you doing creative work while listening to his word. Some people simply fall asleep.

bobw103
November 13th, 2011, 11:32 AM
As always Sandy has words of wisdom and I so agree.

LynneLeavell
November 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I agree with Sandy. I might need to have my husband do that. But then again he says he concentrates better on what the preacher is saying when his eyes are closed.

bakermom
November 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Some people simply fall asleep.

Have you been watching me? LOL I just quote my dad when caught "I'm meditating of the sermon!"

Mrs.Sew&Sew
November 13th, 2011, 05:51 PM
LOL you all are so funny. I say to each his own. Most people hate it when my hubby takes his phone out during the message but he really is not playing angry birds or anything he has about 20 translations of the Bible on his phone! That IS his Bible he takes it every where!

InGodzHndz
November 13th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I know a gal that always brings her knitting and does that. I only see her at our (private christian) school events, though I'm sure she does it at church, too! Hey, if you can get something done AND get some learning in, it's all good!

mianmom
November 13th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks everyone. I was just wondering what everyone thought was. I do gain more when working because I'm not thinking "I could be stitching". LOL

toggpine
November 14th, 2011, 04:10 AM
You might ask the pastor if he's OK with it. We are up and down so often that I wouldn't get anything done except during the sermon!

Dragonfly
November 14th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Lol this reminded me of the young couple who were asked to leave church one Sunday because they were holding hands and this was considered inappropriate behaviour in church. It was a long time ago but it still rather annoys me, I'm sure God would not judge us for showing our love for each other in his house. Just as I am sure he would not mind some creative handiwork being done, idle hands and the devil apparently go together so let's keep our hands busy on useful things. :icon_bigsmile:

Blondie
November 14th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I've done it more Sundays than I can remember. And I am not alone. You can hear knitting needles click quite frequently. I don't think it is rude. I find it a comfort. After all, in Proverbs it says, Whatever your hands find to do, do with all your might.
hehehe

Beakkmom
November 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I think it is a great, and what woman isn't a multi-tasker? My mom, who just turned 80, told me that when she was a little girl her mother told her that if you sew on Sundays, when you get to heaven you have to take out every stitch sewn on Sunday with your nose! I ALWAYS think of that when I sew on Sunday :)

Blessings.

toggpine
November 16th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks Beakkmom!
I tend to do a lot of sewing on Sunday while the football games are on. Fortunately, my seam ripper is small enough I can stuff it up a nostril. Now if they will only let me take it with me when I go....

Beakkmom
November 16th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I always smile at my grandmothers words as i sew on Sundays. I will encourage mfy granddaughter to sew anyday!

Blondie
November 17th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I think it is a great, and what woman isn't a multi-tasker? My mom, who just turned 80, told me that when she was a little girl her mother told her that if you sew on Sundays, when you get to heaven you have to take out every stitch sewn on Sunday with your nose! I ALWAYS think of that when I sew on Sunday :)

Blessings.
I remember my granny saying that one but without the removing the stitches with your nose. As a child we weren't allowed to do any kind of work on Sunday. In fact, i remember when the only store open on Sundays were pharmacies. I think they called them blue laws or something like that.
Cathy, you gave me a good giggle.
I enjoy stitching any day of the week as I don't consider it work! LOL.

Sandy Navas
November 17th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I must have been asleep when I read Cathy's answer because I actually couldn't figure out what she was doing with the ripper up her nose . . . thanks, Blondie, for allowing me to 'see the light'.