PDA

View Full Version : How do I finish a tabletopper??

Klasien
November 13th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Question..

When I made my last block for a quilttop from a charmpack and a jellyroll, I had leftover for a border out of patchwork, but then I thought about the jellyroll race pattern. I realy wanted to try that as well.
So I made a tabletopper and I want ot give this one to my mom.
My question is: how do I quilt this in a way this will not become very thick. Do I have to handquilt or machine, what do I use as backing and batting? I just started quilting and have no clue how to handle a project like this.
I have never made one of these, so I have no idea what is the best for tabletoppers..

I had posted this in an other thread, but maybe this way is it better to find the answer, I'll try to remove the other so it's not dubble posted.....

Here is a picture of the tabletopper so far.

Klasien

Oeps I just noticed this should go in Quilting Questions.......lot to learn........sorry :(

SummerK
November 13th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Very pretty! I don't think it matters if you machine quilt or hand quilt, unless it will be washed a lot then you may want to machine quilt for durability. Other than that, I suggest using a very low loft batting, because if she ever wants to put anything on it...you don't want it to be fluffy. I've had success with stippling a runner and echoing the pattern. Close, straight-line quilting seems to make it lay flatter.

You can use whatever you want for backing. I typically use a fabric from the top or a solid cotton. You can bind it just like a normal quilt.

Your mother will love this!

DCM
November 13th, 2011, 11:18 AM
You could quilt in the ditch, echo quilt, or cross hatch. I like to use bamboo batting. Your table topper is beautiful!

Bubby
November 13th, 2011, 11:22 AM
The Prayer Flag fabric looks terrific as a jellyroll race topper!! I agree with Summer, you want to use a low loft batting (Warm & Natural or Hobbs 80/20 would both work) so that any items placed on the topper would lie flat. You wouldn't want wine glasses or candles turning over. Use regular quilt material on the back and bind like a regular quilt. If you have a few strips leftover you could sew a few together for the binding. I recently made one of these and just stitched in the ditch for my quilting and it turned out really nice. Good Luck, Barb

Hugs, Barb

bobw103
November 13th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I love your table topper. I just finished a table runner and used flannel for the batting which seems to have worked well.

SuziC
November 14th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I totally agree with Summer!

Blondie
November 14th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I agree with Summer and have often used lightweight flannel, even muslin as a backing with no filler sandwich. This is my personal preference, having done it both ways.