PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas treat!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 9th, 2015, 11:44 AM
When I was teaching, my first 11 years were spent teaching first graders. The closer it got to Christmas, the less time they could focus on school work and the squirrelier they became! One thing I would save for just that crazy afternoon when book learning was fruitless was to share the movie "The Snowman". It is based on a book by Raymond Briggs which we had in our classroom library! The movie has very few words but the kids were fascinated and mesmerized! The music is beautiful! I looked forward to sharing the movie with my students every year!

Fast forward 20 years! We have a local community band, consisting of 40-50 members. Lots of young and old, retired music teachers, former HS marching band members. They tackle some pretty challenging music, but share some old favorites in their concerts which they hold about 6 times a year. This year, for their annual holiday concert this coming Sunday, they are going to play the musical score from "The Snowman" coordinating it with showing the video! What fun! The trick is to make sure the band is keeping pace with the video, which is up to the director to coordinate. He was telling me of his concept and challenges to do this piece at a holiday party last weekend. I knew I wanted to experience this "blast from the past", but realized that I wouldn't be able to attend the concert because of a previous engagement at the same time! Yikes! So I invited myself to attend their final rehearsal.

What fun! I got to sit among the band members as they rehearsed, they practiced this piece twice! I think it was the biggest thrill ( yes, I'm easy to please!) I've had in a long time! Certainly a high entertainment night for me, for sure!

Here's the YouTube version of "The Snowman". Share it with your young ones, or those young at heart! And enjoy the treat!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE9KpobX9J8

GrammaBabs
December 9th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Thank you Jean.... a wonderful reminder of my childhood and all it's joys:)))))))))

Claire Hallman
December 9th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Beautiful. I do not remember ever seeing this. I have bookmarked it to show my grands on Christmas day. I am not sure they will hold still long enough but I will enjoy it.:D Hopefully they will, too.

AnnieF
December 9th, 2015, 01:18 PM
What a neat experience! I had never heard of this, but watched a couple of minutes just now (I'm at work so can't watch the whole thing) and I will try to remember to watch the rest of it at home tonight. Thanks!

Simply Quilting
December 9th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Thank you, Jean! I'm looking forward to showing the children.

pcbatiks
December 9th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Jean, that must have brought back wonderful memories.....what a great experience for you!

laura44
December 9th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Thank-you, never had seen this one before.

KPH
December 9th, 2015, 03:41 PM
It's a beautiful movie.

I know about those squirrely days! The last week before the holidays, my kids and I would work on crafts. Small groups, various ages (1st -3rd), very few words. Older kids would read directions. I'd be there to help as needed, but tried to stay out of their way as they created.

The very last day before break was "Read-IN" and holiday breakfast. While the rest of the school was wired for sound, my kids had their blankets, pillows and stacks of Holiday books they could choose from. We'd read until lunch (which is pretty amazing thinking about 1-3 graders, pretty much silent for 3-4 hours.) They always enjoyed it! I did, too!

Hulamoon
December 9th, 2015, 06:16 PM
That was beautiful Jean. What a treat to hear a live orchestra playing it.

quiltingtrish
December 9th, 2015, 06:18 PM
That movie is my one favorite! I watch it every year. My 2nd most favorite is The Bear by Raymond Briggs'. You have got to see that one if you haven't yet.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 9th, 2015, 07:06 PM
That movie is my one favorite! I watch it every year. My 2nd most favorite is The Bear by Raymond Briggs'. You have got to see that one if you haven't yet.

I will have to look for that one! Thanks for the heads up!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 9th, 2015, 07:12 PM
It's a beautiful movie.

I know about those squirrely days! The last week before the holidays, my kids and I would work on crafts. Small groups, various ages (1st -3rd), very few words. Older kids would read directions. I'd be there to help as needed, but tried to stay out of their way as they created.

The very last day before break was "Read-IN" and holiday breakfast. While the rest of the school was wired for sound, my kids had their blankets, pillows and stacks of Holiday books they could choose from. We'd read until lunch (which is pretty amazing thinking about 1-3 graders, pretty much silent for 3-4 hours.) They always enjoyed it! I did, too!

I would have my students make tissue paper wreaths! Cut up green tissue into 2" squares. Use a cheapo paper plate with a hole cut in the middle. Give each kid another paper plate with a big puddle of glue on it. Wrap a piece of the tissue around your finger or end of a pencil dip into glue and stick on the plate , cover the entire paper plate! It took a long time to do and they were quiet because they were busy! Also, we played Bingo for sticker prizes. Works great because they have to be quiet to hear if their number is called! Saved my sanity many years on that last day of school before Christmas Holiday!

SallyO'Sews
December 9th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Thanks, Jean! Glad you got to hear the live music.