PDA

View Full Version : We Will Remember them

Divine Daisy
November 11th, 2011, 08:58 AM
On the 11th day of the 11th month. Rememberence Day 2011

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

bobw103
November 11th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Very nicely said and I echo you

Sandy Navas
November 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Thank you!!!

I'm just curious, as a Women's Army Corps veteran, how many others do we have on the forum who have served in the military?
And that includes families who give everything while their loved ones are away from home.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

debinmalaga
November 11th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I was in the army for the twinkling of an eye, Sandy, way back when I was 17. Met my husband and exited the army precipitously (I was a Private, he was a Major) after just 20 months, so I didn't attain Vet status.

Lots of military service in my family, including my oldest son, Tony, who is an Iraq war veteran and also served in Egypt. As a family member of veterans I am so glad to see the recognition they receive today.

Monique
November 11th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I have a family rich in military history. From cousins, uncles, grandfathers, and great uncles and great grandfathers, one of whom was killed in the First World War, and now 2 sons serving in the military. I WILL REMEMBER THEM NOW AND ALWAYS.

Thank you to all on here who are serving or have served your country, no matter where in the world you are. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!

K. McEuen
November 11th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I did my 20 as an Air Force wife. Dad was navy, brother was Army. Uncle Ray was a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient. My mom's brothers were Navy, Army and Marines.

While it's great to have a day to honor them, I think of them and give thanks every day.

Loonwatcher
November 11th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Thank you each and every one! My DH was National Guard (Weekend Warrior) for six years; stateside only. Don't know if that makes him a veteran or not.

sewmuchjan
November 11th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Coming from a long line of Servicemen GGDF,GDF's,Uncle, Father, and more. I was an MP in the Army, my son was in Korea (not the war but stationed there). THANK YOU ALL FOR EVERTHING PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE!! GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU SAFE THOSE STILL SERVING, AND GOD BLESS ALL THOSE THAT HAVE PAST THANK YOU FOR THE ULTAMIT SACRAFICE TO KEEP US SAFE AND FREE. THANK YOU AND THANK YOU the words don't seem enough sometimes but they come from the heart from me.

11-11-11 Remembered Forever in the Hearts of Men and Women

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND THE USA

FREEDOM

Love
Jan G

BellasQuilts
November 11th, 2011, 05:28 PM
We are all Navy here (well, SIL was Marine, but hey..LOL). Thank you to the brave men and women who give all to provide us with the freedoms we enjoy. We are forever in your debt. Hubby is Viet Nam vet, wearing his pin today and flying the flag. And may I add being a PIA today. I work from home Fridays and he keeps popping in Are you done yet? Gosh, I don't know if I want him to retire now, eeek! Seriously though, keep our military in your hearts today!

quiltingtrish
November 11th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I am a 21 year Army Veteran, DH is a 25 year Army Veteran, son - Andrew (Odie) is currently a Marine. Dad is a World War II Veteran. Also, of the 7 kids in DH's family, 4 are military.

Thank you to other Veterans out there and to the families who support them.

Lots of people get confused as WHO a Veteran is. A Veteran is anyone who has served their Country in wartime or peacetime. Memorial Day is to remember those service members that we have lost doing their service. Veterans Day is to remember all those that have served.

Deb - 20 months. You might not have veteran benefits, but you did serve for 20 months. The definition that I posted above states that you are a Veteran who deserves recognition too.

Hugs,

Bubby
November 11th, 2011, 07:16 PM
My father served in the USMC in WWII and Korea. My late husband was a retired 25 year Army veteran who served in Germany, Korea, Panama and the Pentagon. Thanks to everyone who has served and are currently serving to protect our freedoms. Hugs,

sunnyQLDmum
November 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Lest we forget

sewmuchjan
November 11th, 2011, 10:30 PM
THE 11Th hour of the 11Th day of the 11Th month was known as "Armistice Day or Remembrance Day" in the year of 1918 that ended WWI with Germany. President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed the 1st Armisttice Day in November 11, 1919. In proclaiming the holiday he said:

"To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country's service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations."[2]

Then in In 1953, an Emporia, Kansas man named Alvin King the owner of a shoe repair shop, had the idea to expand Armistice Day to celebrate all veterans, not just those who died in World War I. King had been actively involved with the American War Dads during World War II. He began a campaign to turn Armistice Day into "All" Veterans Day. The Emporia Chamber of Commerce took up the cause after determining that 90% of Emporia merchants as well as the Board of Education supported closing their doors on November 11 to honor all veterans. With the help of U.S. Representative Ed Rees, also from Emporia, a bill for the holiday was pushed through Congress. President Dwight Eisenhower signed it into law on May 26, 1954.[3]

Congress amended this act on June 1, 1954, replacing "Armistice" with "Veterans," and it has been known as Veterans Day since.[4][5]

Although originally scheduled for celebration on November 11 of every year, starting in 1971 in accordance with the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, Veterans Day was moved to the fourth Monday of October. In 1978, it was moved back to its original celebration on November 11.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS NOW AND THEN

THANK YOU ALL

ON TODAY 11-11-11 SOMEWERE IT IS THE 11TH HOUR!

janluna
November 12th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Thank you all for your service to our country. You are my heros. So is my husband. So are all my uncles. My brother also served. God bless you all for keeping us free. Hugs, Jan L.

donna-lea
November 12th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Yes, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning
We will remember them.
Come from a long family line of veterans. Especially WWI and WWII. Are extremely proud of great uncles and aunts who have served and both grandfathers. My 7 year old proudly wore his poppy to school yesterday and confidentely told his follow Grade 2's the reason why we honour our veterans and the meaning of Rememberence Day and the minutes silence.
I have been brought up to respect this day, as my boy will be as well. Donna