PDA

View Full Version : It's Friday, no matter what you call it today

Monique
November 27th, 2015, 09:35 AM

Doesn't this look like fun? NOT!!!

Black Friday or just plain Friday. I hope all my friends here enjoyed their Thanksgiving.

I really did not do much of anything yesterday except order fabric with Grandma Nan. And to top it off a female cardinal was in my bird feeder yesterday. This is the first that I have ever seen. I was so excited and was able to get a picture.

To set up this next little story, I live next door to a hotel/restaurant. They have wing night every Thursday. I was looking out my bathroom window last night and say that someone had fallen on the veranda and someone was trying to help this person out. SO out I went to see if I could help. This elderly lady had fallen and her husband was trying to get her up but to no avail. Two other ladies and I managed to get her upright and sitting on her walker. This couple decided not to stay. I went into the hotel and asked some kind gentlemen to help carry her down the stairs to her car, to which they so graciously accepted of course. Les knows this couple, she taught Sunday School to him. He says they are both alcoholics and I could smell it on their breaths. Well anyway, I felt good that I was able to help.

I am going out to get some groceries today and maybe get a few Christmas gifts as well.

Have a great day and a great weekend friends. Stay safe if you are out and about shopping today.

aliaslaceygreen
November 27th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Happy Friday! I am scheduled to be at the store from 11-7....wish me luck. Thanksgiving day was lovely, stuffed our faces, as it should be!

pcbatiks
November 27th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Good morning, Monique. In answer to your question......black friday shopping......NO, NO......doesn't look remotely fun. Just the picture makes me anxious. :D

We had a nice day yesterday. Had Thanksgiving at my parents house......just us, our son & my parents. We ate a non-traditional meal and had homemade lemon meringue pie for dessert. The weather was nice enough to sit outside most of the day and watch each of our dogs play together.........a terrier mix, a wiener dog & a golden retriever.

Not sure what we are doing today. Hoping to put up our tree sometime this weekend........before the whole month of December goes by in a blur.

Hope you all have a great day. If you are brave enough to go out shopping today........be safe.

MRoy
November 27th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Good morning! If I shop today, it will be online from home. I'm recovering from a nasty little stomach bug...not a great way to spend Thanksgiving. I did some Christmas shopping online yesterday and have items in my Amazon cart now, just watching the prices.

Whether you go out and brave the crowds or stay home, have a great Friday everyone!

Bubby
November 27th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Good Morning,

We had a very nice day yesterday and ate way too much. Jeff was up sick all night vomiting and he feels awful today. I suspect he caught a stomach bug. I haven't had any trouble so I'm pretty sure it wasn't caused by anything we ate. We will stick close to home today.

Wishing everyone a good Black Friday.

Ginny B
November 27th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Good Morning all. We had a very nice Thanksgiving. There were 8 of us and we had a great time. Looking forward to the leftovers tonight. Two of my sons are still here so I am continuing to enjoy visiting with them.

No "Black Friday" shopping for me today except maybe online. I do have to go to the pet store for some dog food and cat food but that's the only store I am going to. I imagine the parking lot will be nuts but the store shouldn't be too bad. I had wanted to get this done earlier in the week but since we were in Staten Island a good portion of the week, it just didn't happen. I will brave it today though because our little furry family members need their food.

I think I will get myself up and out the door here shortly and then I can be in my sewing room for a while today. Need to do a bit of straightening before starting on the next project.

Have a great Friday everyone.

Navy Wife
November 27th, 2015, 10:34 AM
We had a good day yesterday with the "boys". They are in their 50's so I guess I shouldn't call them that! DDIL cooked dinner for us, and her brother and his girlfriend. We had the typical dinner of turkey and all the trimmings. Today will be quiet also. I have a mammogram this morning. DH has gone to fight the crowds, but not at the usual places. He's headed to Michaels and Hobby Lobby to get art supplies. I don't need or want anything bad enough to fight that mess! I am getting a new computer today via Fed EX, so I'll be busy the next few weeks learning to use Windows 10. I'm not looking forward to it. I love Windows 7 and my back up is an ancient Vista which takes 10 minutes to get going. So, I may not be around here very much for a few days.

Also, I'm having some more hand surgery on Thursday. Hopefully it's just a quick one and easy recovery. I'll be out of commission for a week, and then should be back to normal. However, this one seems worse than the others, so we'll wait and see.

I hope you all had a great day yesterday and didn't eat too much! I also hope you had lots to be thankful for. Even in the toughest times we have so much compared to the rest of the world.

quiltingtrish
November 27th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Black Friday shopping - definitely NOT for me. I was getting claustrophobic just looking at that photo.

We had a wonderful full turkey meal with all the trimmings yesterday with one of our kiddos.

My BFF loves her quilt made out of a snowman panel and Charlie Brown fabric on the back. She heads home today from rehab after breaking her femur on her hip last week. Thinking I might go back down tomorrow to see what I can do for her.

Anybody see anything on the daily deal they can't live without? Yes, the free charm pack is great but don't think I am going to go for it.
The Fat Quarter Shop has some nice sales that starts at 10 this morning so will check that out in a bit. They even listed their sale items already so you can see ahead of time what they are if you are interested.

Think I will hit the quilt room today to see what kind of trouble I can get in to. I do have a baby quilt I am working on, might get that done.

Have a great day everyone!

MayinJerset
November 27th, 2015, 10:39 AM
We had a great Thanksgiving dinner cooked by DS#3 and later DS#1 joined us as we finished it off with tea and apple, apple crumb and pumpkin pies and a chocolate or two. Today we'll enjoy leftovers either as hot turkey and the sides or a cold turkey sandwich with a salad on the side, we'll see what we're in the mood for around dinner time.

No shopping for me today, I have PT at noon time and when back home I'll get out some Christmas stuff.

I'm like Navy Wife, our sons are still referred to as The Boys although DS#1 turns 60 on Tuesday, #2 was 58 in September and #3 will be 50 12/19.

shermur
November 27th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Traveled very early yesterday from Fort Smith, AR to Bolivar, MO (3.5 hour drive) to eat at a restaurant serving Thanksgiving dinner (all you can eat, buffet style). There was 16 of us...many missing. I got several calls from family traveling north...some I haven't heard from since last year. OF course, Hubby, Halgal13 and I were 30 minutes early, waiting for the rest to show up; the rest of the family was within an hour of the restaurant. Don't think I wanted to grab a plate and eat before they got there...I guess I have a pet-peeve for wasted time and people being late.
The food was so-so, but it does make things easier than for people to cook a bunch of food, worrying about having enough food and cleaning a big mess later. But the restaurant was crowded and noisey, making it hard to visit. Dad paid for all the meals. Dottie (sweet puppy dog) was very thankful we made it home by 5 PM so she could go outside!

Today will be cleaning and organizing the sewing room and packing away the fabric hoard; getting ready for Navy daughter and Conner to have a place to stay after she gets out of the Navy. Hubby will be flying out on Christmas Day to help drive Ashley and Conner home...our Christmas will be delayed this year. And, the plans for creating many quilted projects to sell at flea market next spring will be complicated as I am losing my sewing room. Hubby thinks there may be enough room to move my sewing room to the garage?

I won't be going out today to Black Friday shop....I think it's non-sense! Not to mention it's cold and wet here. and I might have been tempted to take "advantage" of the sale on-line with M*, but they don't have the one thing I wanted...the newest edition of the Block! So, I guess I'll pass....

Grandma Nan
November 27th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Good morning everyone
Glad to hear my US friends had a great day yesterday. Monique and I did some "virtual" girlfriend shopping. So fun.

Today, if I shop, it will be on line (ok, you dragged it out of me, I allegedly was gifted with a pack of charm squares from M*QC). Just couldn't pass that up. Heading to my sewing room today to finish the blocks for my son's quilt then I can get it put together. I hope to get it quilted before Christmas. My longarmer is fantastic and she works quickly.

Thanks for getting us started this morning Monique and everyone else enjoy your left overs today. Is there anything better than left over turkey and trimmings. I always enjoy it more the day after.

Have a wonderful day and stay safe from the mad shoppers,

Claire Hallman
November 27th, 2015, 12:57 PM
The newest edition of Block was what I wanted, too. Glad I saw your post as I have one in my cart that is probably one I already have. I might look later and see if I do have it, the only problem I have is that I have put some of the Block magazines into "kits" I have made up with fabrics and the desired patterns.
I want to do some Christmas decorating today but my energy level is low so don't know if that will happen.
Yesterday was lovely, we had dinner at the retirement home where DH cousin lives, several other cousins were there, too. It was like eating a buffet at a country club, lovely and elegant. We then visited my niece's family and my DIL's family. I don't think we ate too much but I might have had a bit too much wine [note comment about energy level]:icon_bigsmile:
Probably won't be doing much sewing until the house is decorated. I do have some fabrics pulled for Farmgirl blocks that I need ready for guild on Thursday so may need to get inspired to sew those up. ;)

Over40momma
November 27th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Good morning everyone. :icon_wave: So glad you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving time with family and friends.

Been very busy week here. We have had to replace our furnace and with hubby on the road.....well, it made for very interesting conversations. :lol: Ultimately, the upshot was the air-conditioner, humidifier and air-cleaner all had to be replaced too. The technician was very helpful (he had orginally came just to do the pre-winter maintenance and cleaning) and got a sales rep to me that very evening (Wednesday). After talking with hubby long-distance (spending over $10,000.00 when he can't see things for himself was testing his patience a wee bit), sales rep processed everything and the crew arrived Thursday morning to install the furnace first. They managed to get the air-cleaner and humidifier installed too! Today I am waiting on the duct cleaner to arrive. Monday the main crew will be back to install the air-conditioning (though with winter almost here, I am not really worried if they are late. :icon_rofl:) Then I can begin getting my Christmas decorations up.

And no......no crowds, no insanity and No Black Friday shopping for me. I am pretty sure we've already blown the budget. ;)
Take care, stay safe and be kind to yourself.

auntiemern
November 27th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Good Friday to all. Yesterday was tiring. Made a 20# turkey with all the trimmings. Thank goodness my youngest (8) GD loves to cook. She was a huge help to me. (Although she was ready to get started the minute we got up.) DH is also wonderful at helping me out. Don't know what I would do without him. He did ALL the clean up too. I love doing the big meal, and have for years...but not so much when I am not quite up to par.
Had to take 2 of my machines in for servicing Wed evening. My embroidery machine, and my Innovis. Looked at several machines while I was there. Love the new Dream Machine...but would be perfectly happy with one that is half the cost of that one. Even that one isn't going to happen anytime soon. Saving for our trip this spring. Anyway...I still have my little machine I can use in the mean time while my others are in the shop (about a week). I do have several items I need to embroider though.
Have had the 2 little ones for 4 days. (easier than getting up at 4 am ) They like to spend the night with Gran and Pa. We all have our moments...but for the most part it is all good. After I take them home today, about 3....I will have the entire week end free. I must try to get something constructive done.
Hugs and blessings to all...prayers for those in need.

Cathy F
November 27th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Morning passed me by quickly so I'll say good afternoon!
Had a nice quiet day yesterday, watched the Thanksgiving parade and dog show on TV. Cooked a turkey breast and limited trimmings as it was just the two of us. Later in the day we went for dessert at our son and daughter-in-law's and visited with them them and the grandkids. I held on to my will power when she wanted to send goodies home with us, it was tempting but I made it home without pie and cakes!
Looking forward to some leftovers tonight and since I didn't have to cook today I've been burrowed in my sewing room.
No stores for me today but I did order a lamp online that I've had my eye on for the bedroom at a nice sale price. Hope it looks as good as it looks on the screen.

Splinter
November 27th, 2015, 03:50 PM
I got up at 1:00 this morning to take pill (aching back was keeping me awake). When I realized that it was officially Friday, I decided to check the MSQC deals. I found a couple of charm packs in the sale, and I needed to order two more blue fabrics for the Gourmet Quilter Block of the Day project, so I added the daily deal to my cart. I did not spend enough to qualify for the other gifts because I only bought what I need for specific projects.

I had hoped to get my sewing room reorganized in time to start sewing again tomorrow. I am pleased to say that it looks like I will be able to start sewing again tonight. I have a quick project to do for my sister, so I hope I can at least get started on it. In my excitement to be back in my sewing chair, I will try to not stay up too late!

SewnByBee
November 27th, 2015, 08:47 PM
IHappy Friday,
I'm trying to get the spirit , so can starta little decorating.

I'm so tired. Yesterday was grate, but it sure wipe d me out.The family was supposed when we announced our news , going to be grandparents. It was gtate, and I'm so proud I convinced my brother to come, so now make st all the family has been told. FINALLY. Gosh I was about to bust and my hubby was worse than me, he can't keep a secret , but this time, he had to. He was so funny. At least I had yall to tell, or it would have been awful.

I'm going to put out a few decorations on the porch and my deer in the yard and that should be enough. The tree and just a little, I cant see pitting out everything this year. ive got to many other thngs , this year, that I have to do. Next year will be better, I hope, cause I like to put out my snow village , but that takes alot of time. This year I'll just g t over it. Sounds silly be t I really miss my Mom, I'm having crying spells, I don't know how to do this, ( not having my friend and Mother) is this normal ? How long, until get back to normal ? I'm sorry.

I Guess, telling the family, and not being able to tell Mom, makes me sad, cause she was the best, mom and grandma, and would have been a truely grate, grate-grandmother,. The baby s due just weeks before her b'day.
That's pretty ironic. The holliday are tough, but want to be happ, I love the holliday and EVERYTHING about them. Just gotta make new memories and cherish the past memories. I miss her some much. You would have loved her, one day, I'll show you some f the things she made.
I'll get back to the Declaration.
Have a blessed weekend everyone.

Christmas music ,......Helps..

judimccl
November 27th, 2015, 11:37 PM
So sorry you are feeling down Bee. I sure understand = I lost my mother over 10 years ago and I still miss her every day, especially around the Holidays. And there have been so many more babies in the family and I can only imagine how much her and my dad would have loved that - the little ones were always special to them. I can imagine how she would laugh at the though that not only am I a grandmother, but a great-grandmother. Sending some hugs your way and hope they help. :icon_wave:

shermur
November 28th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Bee...this is totally understandable, sweetie. My Mother passed on December 20th, 2002 at the age of 58. It still hurts, I still miss her and my family has become quite distant since the precious one that held us all together is gone.

I can say, it does get better with time. My Mother taught me to sew, she taught me to cook, she taught me many, many things; I came to realize after my Mother had passed what a selfless woman and Mother she truly was.

This year marks 13 years...for the first time in 13 years I am looking forward to Christmas. Officially, I became a grandmother Dec 31, 2014. Yes, I have step-grandchildren, I love them the same. But, it seems since there will be a little one here in the house during the holidays makes it so special. It makes me want to experience the holidays again; to "relive" what was once to precious to me.

Blessings to you, Bee......may God comfort and lean on those who love you, sweetie....

quiltingtrish
November 28th, 2015, 11:58 PM
It is hard when you lose your Mother. My Mom has been up in Heaven for almost 15 years now looking down and smiling because she can see that we all turned out all right (finally - haha). I truly believe they are still with us even though we just can't see them when we need to. I still talk to her and I know she hears.
Don't have to be sorry for how you feel. I don't know if anyone ever gets over missing someone they love so much. It's ok to have crying spells. I've been known to have them too.
HUGS for you Bee.