PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone given up dairy?

Hulamoon
November 26th, 2015, 03:02 AM
I got on the scale today and thought, wow where did that come from? I have been eating a lot of cheese. I feel bloated. Have you given it up and feel better?

baskets4deb
November 26th, 2015, 04:08 AM
I have been vegetarian for 23 years and mostly vegan the last 3 or 4. Cheese gives me gas and ice cream gives me a stomach ache. I've used soy milk for at least 20 years but just could never give up that cheese. I still eat the occasional slice of cheese, but only one. I feel better, my blood pressure is low and my cholesterol is under control. I also lost 20 lbs!

Juliet Taylor
November 26th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Well in a period of time while I was lactose-intolerant I lost weight. Basically because lactose is everywhere! :D So no milk and no cheese especially. Now of course you can find a lot of lactose-free things but back then it wasn't the same.

I try to eat different things and to have a healthy diet and to not indulge in cheese but... I live in Italy! :D We have GREAT cheese! So I try not to buy it if I can :D

Hulamoon
November 26th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Thanks. I realized I had chedder,parm, goat crumbles, jack and mozzarella all for just one person. Yikes! I can't give up Parmesan ,but I'm going to give up the rest for awhile and see if I feel better.

Momofmonsters5
November 26th, 2015, 08:37 AM
I'm lactose intolerant, but can have cheese. I take tums when I feel like that

Suzette
November 26th, 2015, 08:44 AM
I am not lactose intolerant, but I definitely feel better when I don't consume a lot of cheese. On top of that, it's full of fat and calories, so it can be a real gut-buster. :icon_eek: I love cheese and I do eat it, but in moderation and not every day. :icon_bigsmile:

pcbatiks
November 26th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Hi Lorie,

I quit buying cheddar cheese a little over a year ago. I love the stuff and can eat it straight out of the bag....and was eating way too much of it. Now we only buy it if we are having tacos and only a smaller bag. We also quit buying chips except on rare occasions....the pile of chips would always be bigger than the sandwich! :D

If it's not in the house you won't & can't eat it........it works for us.

Snip Snip
November 26th, 2015, 10:45 AM
I have been lactose intolerant in varying degrees for many years. I have found that I can drink raw milk from Jersey and Guernsey cows, though, without any problem. It is because they have a different protein, A 2 casein, rather than the A 1 Holstein that the milk producers here in the US use (due to increased milk production per cow)
This is a widely known fact but dairies would rather make more money than produce heathier milk, IMO.
Also, the more aged the cheese/milk product is, the less likely it is to cause me problems. So, an aged cheddar in moderation usually causes no gas/bloating, but an ice cream cone at the mall would cause misery in about 20 minutes, and last for hours.
If you are a milk lover and find the lactose-free milk unsatisfactory, see if you can find a dairy that has Jersey cows, where you can buy raw, yummy creamy fresh milk.

K. McEuen
November 26th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Kind of off subject here, Snip Snip, when I was a kid my aunt and uncle had a farm. They only had 2 milk cows ( enough for them) and the girls they had were one of each - Jersey and Guernsey. Those 2 breeds also produce milk with the most cream. My aunt made the best butter.

My uncle laughed at me once when I was staying there, said the one cow had me pegged when he came back to the house from the field and saw me giving her a drink out of a bucket. She had been mooing at the gate and when I went over to see what was wrong and opened the gate to go through, she pushed past me. She walked over to the water faucet and started mooing again. I grew up with dogs and cats. When they wanted water you gave it to them, so I found a bucket and filled it. He was still laughing when I explained why I gave her a drink and told me she had the whole stock tank to drink if she was thirsty, she was just to lazy to walk all the way down there. As I walked her back on her side of the fence, I told her I didn't blame her for not wanting to drink that water that was full of fish and turtles.

asta
November 26th, 2015, 01:32 PM
I got on the scale today and thought, wow where did that come from? I have been eating a lot of cheese. I feel bloated. Have you given it up and feel better?

I am pretty sure that is blasphemy here in Wisconsin!

rebeccas-sewing
November 26th, 2015, 05:14 PM
We very rarely eat dairy anymore. I'm actually using unsweetened soy milk in my hot beverages and in my cereal. I don't miss milk at all, and I have always loved it. I was having lots of trouble with stomach pains that just came on suddenly last year. It was so bad I ended up having some testing done. Nothing showed up so that was a relief. I decided to try elminating coffee and milk from my diet and my problems went away. (I don't feel that it was a coincidence.) Once in a while I'll drink a cup of coffee but I don't drink it so strong anymore. I seem to be able to tolerate having it now and then. I have replaced daily coffee drinking with black tea and soy milk and my stomach tolerates it with no trouble. My husband has always had lots of problems with heartburn and flatulence. Since he has stopped using milk it's amazing how much better he feels.

Cheese is something we only enjoy once in a while. I love it but it's really not good for arteries and one's heart. I highly recommend you cut it out completely or only eat it now and then. I bet you'll start feeling better in no time. When holidays roll around we do allow ourselves to enjoy goodies but only in moderation. High fat foods really take their toll especially as we grow older. If you need to lose some weight, just cutting this stuff out, limiting consumption of alcoholic and sweetened beverages should help you drop some pounds (as long as you don't replace it with some other high calorie product).

Type 2 diabetes is a real problem in our society due to poor eating habits and lack of exercise. It's a problem we most definitely want to avoid. I know firsthand. My mother's quality of life really deteriorated her last twenty years due to overlooking a diabetes problem that caused her to lose most of her vision to glaucoma.

At this stage of the game, I don't worry so much about WHEN I die but more so about the quality of life I have BEFORE I die. Making some simple changes in one's diet can make such a positive difference in one's final years.

Hulamoon
November 26th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I gave up meat a long time ago. I still eat chicken and fish. That's still meat. lol. I think I can do this though. Thanks for your insight.

GuitarGramma
November 26th, 2015, 07:42 PM
My husband has been off of dairy for thirty years, and I quit two years ago. He has arthritis in his spine, and dairy makes it worse, like he's immobilized. When I gave up dairy, let's just say that all sorts of bathroom issues went away.

We use rice milk when we need milk, but we pretty much adapt our lives to a milk free diet. It's a good thing we have the same problem, or cooking could get complicated!

Splinter
November 26th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Cow's milk causes me to have sneezing and sinus congestion. The symptoms were much better when I drank raw milk, but they did not go away completely until I switched to almond milk.

I get bloating and puffiness when I eat breads/pastas/rice with meat. When I eat these, I make the whole meal vegetarian. When I eat meat (even chicken and fish), I use lots of veggies and avoid breads/pastas/rice in the same meal.

JCY
November 26th, 2015, 08:56 PM
I'd have a hard time giving up my cheddar. I drink unsweetened organic soy milk, but I do love my cheddar, esp. a thin slice on my egg each morning, or an occas. toasted cheese sandwich. I keep cheese sticks on hand for a quick snack. G.I. tract is working fine. No problems of which I'm aware. However, DH is lactose intol. & avoids all dairy, with the exception of a little butter on his bread.

lourixe
November 27th, 2015, 07:15 PM
We've found out DH is lactose intolerant some years ago, so we limited our dairy. We buy lactose-free milk (I can't bear soy-based beverages). I just use a few drops in my tea. I sometimes indulge to low-fat yogurts. I love cheese, but can eat just a little because of migraines. Occasionally we treat ourselves to goat cheese. I must confess the new diet hasn't helped our waistline much, as we are definite carb-addicts. I couldn't live without bread and cookies. :P