PDA

View Full Version : Do you look?

Carolnnc
November 25th, 2015, 09:43 PM
I love to read all the comments in each category. I also like to click and read about about the person who posted. It puzzles me that so many haven't put anything in the About Me section. I'd love to know why you do or don't add information in your profile.

Cathy F
November 25th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Hi and welcome!
Some people may not feel comfortable putting anything about themselves on the internet so they may not have any info in that section.

bubba
November 25th, 2015, 09:55 PM
I look at a lot, and I attribute that to the job I had for over 31 years as a 911 dispatcher for a large agency here in Washington state. I put some information on mine, but not all.

I will never forget the afternoonI was sitting in my living room when my phone rang and it was a 'facebook friend'!! I had no idea my cell phone number was somehow attached to my account! It was a few years back, when my two youngest grandgirls had been kidnapped and taken to Texas by their father who had no rights to do so. They were gone six weeks. Anyway, this woman lives in the town where he had them and her and her husband drove over to the house to see if they could see the girls to make sure all was well. The place was locked up like Fort Knox, but it meant a lot to me that a person I don't even know would do something like this for me. I have since removed my phone number from Facebook, however if anyone looked, they could find my house # if they were that desperate to talk to me. When I see it, I always urge people to remove their birth year if they have that posted. That is too much information, especially on FB!!

Lightwriter
November 26th, 2015, 03:42 AM
Privacy issues...I worry about what is out there on me in cyberspace. I enjoy the forum annnd FB, but I know it comes with some risk.

Juliet Taylor
November 26th, 2015, 05:07 AM
I like to write about me, but I will not write my address or my phone number.
I have a pretty screwed up family and I do not talk to any of them anymore (except my sister) and most of them don't even know where I live, it's too much they know where I work!

But when I make a Swap I exchange address happily thru private message or email :) I've made lovely friends thru Internet! Plus it helps all the forums I'm in are abroad (from Italy).

But I wrote silly stuff about me :D (See Frozen obsession)

Btw I love to give a look on other's profile to know them better :)

SewnByBee
November 26th, 2015, 05:15 AM
I wish people would share a little info, so as to find common intrest , hobbies, likes, lts nice to connect with like minded friends.

I only share so mch here o r online.

shermur
November 26th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Yes, I do look and yes, it's disappointing to see nothing there. Maybe people who have the quilting passion would like to share with others who live near by. I filled out my "All about me" section for that purpose.....of course, my life is so busy, I haven't had the opportunity. I am envious of those forum members who have had that chance...maybe someday/

Suzette
November 26th, 2015, 09:01 AM
I agree about the info in the About Me section. I am not looking for personal information, just general stuff like hobbies, interests, pets, etc. Internet friendships are impersonal by nature, so I think it helps us know each other a bit more and feel a bit more connected.

Carah
November 26th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Do you look at users notes? There is far is far more about me there than th user notes.

I don't usually look. I read the post, more personality comes out there. I will gravitate to those that have fun & happy posts.

JCY
November 26th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Yup, privacy issues. That's why there isn't more about me in my Profile. There are too many predators out there & people who will take advantage.

jjkaiser
November 26th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Yes I look too! I totally trust M and forum members. I am on Facebook mainly bc my kids begged me, and it nice to see all the pictures they put on there--lots! I do not have any personal info on fb including where I went to high school bc I just don't trust it. Besides, I graduated 40 years ago and if people haven't contacted me in all that time I really have no interest in reconnecting now! Mainly I pull up bios on forum members to see where they live, and then wind up reading the rest of their comments. Some of you are so funny and clever, I enjoy reading your comments so much. Still looking for any forum mbr from Milwaukee!!

Sylvia H
November 26th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I look! I do so to know more about the person who was posting. I like to get to know people. I also take time to look at the albums that come up at the top of the Forums page. When I see something from an unfamiliar name, I'll look them up too. I like to comment on the album photos - and will check first to make sure the person is still participating.

bubba
November 26th, 2015, 03:07 PM
I look! I do so to know more about the person who was posting. I like to get to know people. I also take time to look at the albums that come up at the top of the Forums page. When I see something from an unfamiliar name, I'll look them up too. I like to comment on the album photos - and will check first to make sure the person is still participating.

I do that as well! I am just a snoop, there I admitted it!

Quiltfreestyle
November 27th, 2015, 01:10 AM
I agree about the potential problems with having too much info out there but I admit, I like to look too, mainly as mentioned to see what interests other might share. But just reading the posts over time I think you get a pretty accurate idea about some people's personalities. So many here just crack me up or raise my spirits with their posts... So glad I finally joined this Forum.. This is the only group I've ever joined except FB. I only joined that cuz my kids are on it. I don't think I've posted 5 times on FB...

Sylvia H
November 27th, 2015, 01:55 AM
I do that as well! I am just a snoop, there I admitted it!

Oh no, Pat. Immature people are snoops, we quilters are "inquisitive"! :D

SewnByBee
November 27th, 2015, 02:41 AM
A grate reason they share some basic things like colers you use or fabric preference, and maybe styles,.
I think t could be fun to do a secrect pall, therfore, these basic clues could be helpful, to give a gift.

would anyone want t o do secret palls ?

We could come up with a small list of Q/A to keep it safe and still helpful.

When I wrote mine, I just did a little at a time in user notes because you can edit it , so I would go add something when it crossed my mind. FYI , maybe you will consider starting and adding as you can.

The about me is a grate place to start, It helps me to get a bit f a understanding about who I'm marking friends with. I would like to find some friends near me, that would be very nice. I have met some that were sorta clos, though. Who know, MAayBE one day when I'm going to Birmingham, Clare and I will meet up. She has been able to tell me about the guilds in her area and encouraged me to find local guilds in my area ,which I do need to d o.

All I'm saying is a little can go a long way, in getting to know someone, so, if you have to start some where I think About Me is a good starting point.

I've enjoyed getting to know you, thanks for sharing.

shermur
November 27th, 2015, 11:21 AM
A Q&A has been done in the past....mine are in my user notes!

And guess what? I do look at user notes of the forum members who seem to have the knowledge I want to know about! As jjKaiser stated.....I trust this forum's members and I want to share...that is the reason I joined.

Over40momma
November 27th, 2015, 01:48 PM
I think alot of it has to do with a person's comfort level regarding internet security and not so much about trusting the members here. And there may be a few folks like me who just plain forget to do it. :lol: