PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday

Blondie
November 24th, 2015, 07:58 AM

Hello Folksies

Getting in the company's coming mode here. I got the heads up yesterday that one of my cousins from Florida is heading up this way with one of my Mom's sisters. I haven't seen this particular auntie in a while, this particular cousin in forever long. After watching part of the SNL skit last week about Thankgiving dinner about what not to say or whatever during dinner may just be our special honor this year. Oy. Vey. Both auntie, my uncle and cousin are so very very different than this side of the family, fireworks may ensue. Not from aunt but from uncle or cousin George. Oh and George is bringing his new wife, who I am looking forward to meet. So, 4 extra peeps at the table. Think I may stay in the kitchen stirring the gravy rather than the other pot that may be on the boil around the table. Mom and I had a long chat last night about me being a polite Southern Lady. She knows me so very well.

Extra prayers please for one of my other cousins who is presently in Turkey, awaiting a flight out to Africa. Really??? I knew that they had made these plans months and months ago and while overseas all this stuff happened in France, etc. This couple are seasoned world travellers, but still.

Ok, so everyone. Don't go freaking out but I won't be posting again until next Monday. Family begins arriving this evening on into sometime tomorrow. Loads to do down at Mom's, I have to work tomorrow AND Friday, Sat. I will need to come in here Monday just to get some rest!

Enjoy your turkey, your family, Black Friday shopping, the leftovers of the dinner and by all means eat hearty. Those of us doing a lot of the cooking will appreciate no leftovers. I mean, let's face it, leftover turkey really stinks up the fridge. I just know each of you will be thankful for each and every little blessing you have. I do that everyday and find that it never fails to put a smile on my face. I highly recommend it.

Carol336
November 24th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Good morning Blondie....I can't imagine you being anything but a polite Southern Lady!!! It sounds like you're going to have a wonderful thanksgiving.....enjoy!!!!

Not much on the agenda for me today. I think I'm coming down with something.....been sneezing and wheezing since yesterday morning. The hubs did some painting on Sunday and I thought it was just the paint fumes.....but when it didn't go away while I was at work yesterday..I'm guessing it may be allgergies or a cold coming on...not what I need right now.

Going to DIL and DS for turkey day. DIL works at NIH and most of her lab friends are from other countries. She invites them all for thanksgiving in addition to both families.....it quite a multi-cultural celebration, with the traditional turkey and all the fixings, plus dishes from many different countries. The blending of traditions make for a lovely day.

I'm off to find some more coffee

Bubby
November 24th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Morning Everyone,

The countdown has begun. Blondie, have a ball with your family and don't be too much of a nice southern girl....I know you better than that! Large family gatherings can be a mine field of surprises.

Yesterday our neighbor came over to pick up the pillow shams I made for his wife for Christmas. He was very pleased with them and thinks she will love them. Since they are Christmas décor items, he will give them to her Thanksgiving evening so she can use them for Christmas this year. These are the neighbors I made the Curved Log Cabin quilt for, but of course they don't know that yet. I'm a sneaky little elf...lol!

My sweet Olive has to go back to the vet today for her ear. She has been on drugs for ear infection yet she still continues to shake her head. She doesn't paw at her ear, but I know something is wrong. I will be leaving Dottie home alone because I can't handle both of them at the vet. Dottie gets really wound up in the waiting room and wants to protect me from everyone and everything that moves. This will be the first time they will be separated.

When Jeff gets home today we have to make a flying trip to Cuba to deliver buckets of ice melt and to do a quick repair.

Our Thanksgiving dinner will be the usual and we will visit Jeff's brother and his family for dessert. They live about 90 minutes from us.

Wishing everyone a blessed day. Hugs, Barb

songbird857
November 24th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Morning all...
Blondie, have a wonderful Thanksgiving with all of the hubbub ;)
Countdown for me too... luckily, my daughter's prof cancelled the only class she would have had today, so I don't have to drive to campus - which leaves more time for cleaning the bathroom..... yeah. Last minute groceries, gotta make a list so I don't forget important things like a turkey.
So today will be cleaning and a bit of shopping, and if I can sneak a pinch of sewing in it would be grand. I've got 8 more microwave bowl holders in assembly line fashion right now, made another table runner (just the top) yesterday in black/grey/white batiks. I've ordered my business cards so that I'll have them to hand out at the craft fair (wow, is this really happening???).
I went to the library the other day, and there is a flyer that is being handed out in all of the city libraries (I think there are 8 branches). It has all of the names of the artists for the craft fair, and a few pics at the top. One of my mini quilts is shown! So, I'm hoping the advertising will drive traffic to the library on the day of the fair.
Ok, finishing my cup o' coffee, then getting busy...
Have a fantastic day everyone!

MayinJerset
November 24th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Oh, Blondie don't let the 'out-laws' ruin your Thanksgiving - stuff them with good food and kindness and hopefully they will soon be on their way to their next stop.

Since the supermarkets, make that all stores, get crazy from now to New Year's I try to make as few trips as possible so I make a detailed list of what we need and what to check out. Well yesterday I couldn't find my list so we had to wing it but think we got everything needed for Thanksgiving except the cider. We can get some at the farm market this afternoon on the way home from PT - some eggs too as I'll be doing some Christmas baking (fruit breads) next week.

My siblings and I visit our parent's and youngest brother's grave the first Sunday in December and afterwards we go to lunch. For me that's the beginning of my Christmas Season and I gift my brother and sisters with a fruit bread. Think this year it will be the pumpkin bread a forum member posted recently.

Temps really dropped yesterday afternoon when we were out as DH and I were shivering. My hands were so cold that my fingers must have shrunk because my wedding ring slipped off. Scary part was that I didn't feel it fall off, I just happened to look down as I got out of the car and there it was on the ground. Been wearing that ring for over 60 years and would be heart broken if I lost it.

Monique
November 24th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Good morning everyone. I slept in this morning. It is kind of nice once in a while. Blondie, I am sure you will have wonderful stories to tell us on Monday about your Thanksgiving.

Yesterday, I set up shop on the kitchen table and used the new machine I just got to quilt the dirt bike quilt. Got it all done. Quilting gloves really do come in handy. Although my neck and shoulders were a little stiff. I have the binding cut out and ready to sew on. I will be glad to get this one done and then all my commitments are done.

We had snow last night. Enough that the snow plow was out. I am glad I don't have to go out today.

Have a great day friends. Anyone traveling for Thanksgiving, BE SAFE!!

Grandma Nan
November 24th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Good morning Blondie and everyone else

Hubby and I had such a lovely day out yesterday. We drove to my US mailing address and picked up some parcels (mostly fabric) Drove on to Watertown NY and had lunch at the Olive Garden, one of Dave's favourites and then did a small amount of shopping. I got a turkey for . 48 a pound which is unheard of in Canada. Gas is about half our price so filled up the gas tank. After we came home we put up our outside decorations on the house. The temps were lovely cool.

This morning we have a light dusting of snow so it looks so pretty. Dave has been so sick with pneumonia and finally on Sunday the antibiotics kicked in so he enjoyed the drive yesterday. I did the driving and just let him relax. His cough is just rib-breaking and it hurts just to listen to him but I do believe he is on the mend.

As I mentioned, we did do a small amount of shopping yesterday (the dollar exchange is too bad to do a lot) but just being in the stores and people bustling about, you could feel the holiday excitement starting. I also love the extra things they bring in for the holiday season. Its just a positive, bustling, festive feeling. I love the holidays for generating those feelings. We are buying less and giving money gifts to the grands as it is difficult to buy for them. They either already have it or it is too expensive for us to buy so the money is appreciated to put towards those more expensive things they want.
Working towards having 2 quilts done for Christmas for kids and then 2 left to go. I will have done quilts for 5 grands and 5 adult kids. Then Dave and I get one.

Well I hope that everyone has a great day. I am sewing today and waiting for the repair man to fix our icemaker on the fridge. It will be a day at home, which I love.

SewnByBee
November 24th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Good Morning everyone,
It's on,.....I had to jump up early.Work has yearly Thanksgiving dinner today at luch.
I already made a dish this morning, a simple but delish, shoe peg corn with cream cheese, butter and a little bite of jalapeno. It's fast and really good, if you don't get it too hot. My SIL fixes it , she'll set you on fire, cause she fix it to her liking, and not warn you that it is loaded. Do I need to tell you how I know this ? Yea, (them lovely outlaws) 😜. She Giggles.

Blessed am I became, the days of hostility have past in this FAMILY for the most part, we still have an occasional bump in the road, but not the pothole riddled road, we have once traveled down. I give our Lord All the glory for healing this family and putting us bach together, better than ever. My brother will be joining us this year, this is a miracle, he is a recovered addict, and a witnesses for Jesus Christ. Thank you Lord.

We will be announcing to the family , of our newest BLESSING, my daughters baby, my Fist grandbaby, we finallywill have every all together, so no one gets left out. S he was determined to tell eachone face to face, her and Z, told parents first, then grandparents, now the whole family. I'm so proud of these , thoughtful, young people. They will make good parents, and WELL be fabulous grandparents, hehe..... with lots of love.

I just got to get stronger, PT may be required 😑, not a fan. Muscle spasms is an issue, limiting my excesses. I need a hot tub, to combat this contrary mess.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone, may we all be safe and blessed.💙😆.121708

MRoy
November 24th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Good morning! Happy Thanksgiving Blondie! If you get the urge to say something not so good to relatives, just say "Bless your little heart". Either they'll get it or it will go right over their heads.

I'm catching up on cooking and laundry this morning. I've cooked most of tonight's supper, just need for the lima beans to finish.

I don't plan to do any Black Friday shopping unless it's online. I'd rather pay more than fight the crowds. Happy Tuesday to all!

Carlie Wolf
November 24th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Have a great Thanksgiving Blondie :-)

alliek
November 24th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all and all of the families that will gather in thanksgiving,:icon_hug: (or not).:icon_slap::icon_shake: God bring peace to people's hearts,caring words to their lips, and hearts that Love.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 24th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Good morning all ! You are all my special friends! Many of you I have met face to face, many just on this forum! I am thankful each and every day for your friendship and kind words! Have a wonderful holiday, however you celebrate it!

KPH
November 24th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Good Morning Blondie and all.

Blondie, if you need a break you can head south. Close to Mary Jo's and a spare bedroom available. ;)

MayinJerset, so glad you found your wedding ring. I know what you mean about shrinking fingers. I started wearing my dad's wedding band. (He was 120 pounder when he and mom got married). It's a little lose, so I added one of the rings DH gave me years ago, but couldn't wear with the constant latex glove changes taking care of mom.

Sounds like everybody is busy with the big day. Since we're planning on going out, I'm going back to work on the Good Night Irene. I need to quilt the borders and add the binding. I can't wait to be done with this one. I have a feeling it's going to be a winter time quilt. It's so danged heavy to wrangle in my sewing machine!

Heading up to the mts. with friends on Friday, so no Black Friday shopping here, unless it's online and before we leave!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

judimccl
November 24th, 2015, 06:58 PM
wishing you and the whole family a Happy and fairly quiet Thanksgiving. Sounds like you will be quite busy for sure. This is the first year I am not cooking the dinner, but going to my brother and SIL's house for dinner. Seems really weird to not be running around, getting all the recipes together in my head etc. :icon_wave:

judimccl
November 24th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Thank you Jean. I feel the same way - my day isn't complete until I get onto the forum and get my daily fix. Hope everyone has a great and filling Holiday.

Granny Judy
November 24th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Just getting here today.. been under the weather for 2 days now.... ugh! not before Turkey day, please??

Got all the table runners finished - over 18- still need to count them..............Christmas gifts.

Have one quilt to finish FMQ and bind. Then I can think of ornaments to make for this year's Holiday gifting. (immediate family who live out of state) Easy little mail-able's . But first I need some hot tea for this cough and sore throat.

Wishing everyone many blessings and memorable gatherings for this years Thanksgiving.