PDA

View Full Version : Monday - can you dig it?

Blondie
November 23rd, 2015, 07:14 AM

Good Morning, Good Evening, Hello, Shalom, Greetings, Happy Monday to all

So it's another Monday. Not just another Monday but the Monday before the bird. We have been having our Thanksgiving holiday dinner at my DD's house the past few years - absolutely prefer that over my house or my Mom's. We will have of course lots of family; most likely we will be seeing about 32. Perhaps more will drop by. That is our family and Stevie's - fun.
So, we are all doing some cooking, baking, etc to get ready for it. I am going to bring some corn casserole, cranberry relish, green bean casserole and a pumpkin dump cake. I know my fellow MIL, Lois always brings the best food, Mom's gonna bring some salad and I may have to make some cutie pie cookies or candies.

Just in time for the holidays it seems as if many of you are getting the weather most reminisce and wax fondly of down the road. First snows are always the best, I suppose. Hope everyone who got it will get along nicely and safely.

This past weekend went fairly fast. Worked, of course, and then went to babysit Tyler - I had the little rascal all day on Saturday. DD and SIL went to a Trans Siberian Orchestra concert (matinee) and dinner. May I say that I slept like a log that night? Little rascal really wore me out. Add to that their three dogs and you have 4 precious ones with the mental and emotional acuity of a toddler. I fondly call it Hodges Day Care. Tyler and I get along quite well.

Off to find the coffee pot. Hubs will be leaving for work in a few minutes. No time to crawl back in the bed. I have candy and cookies to make. Have a positively wonderful day. If you are like me, visions of sugar plums are dancing around quite merrily. I shall share a secret about that one day. I promise.

SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cathy F
November 23rd, 2015, 07:56 AM
Blondie, that gingerbread house was too funny! Haven't been feeling too well lately so some days that looks about all I could throw together in the baking department!
I did get in the sewing room yesterday while DH was watching the race and put another fabric wreath together. I bought the Christmas charm packs when they were the daily deal. The wreath only takes one so it's a quick and fairly inexpensive gift.
Got to make a quick stop at the grocery store this morning and pick up a few fresh veggies for Thursday, will make sure to get there early before it gets crowded.
Sending hugs to all in need of a few extra!

MayinJerset
November 23rd, 2015, 08:08 AM
I'm up too but no coffee in sight so I may be a little grumpy. What with one thing and another coming up DH and I never did get to the supermarket to get our turkey day supplies so we plan going first thing this morning. I'd go right now at 6am as I know we'd have no trouble getting our stuff and checking out in a flash but DH would rather catch a few more winks. Told him we could get our morning coffee at the Dunkin Donuts in the market but he doesn't think so as he doesn't care for their coffee. Guess I'll get the coffee going and check out the forum while its brewing. Why don't you come over and have a cup?

Monique
November 23rd, 2015, 08:12 AM
Good morning friends. It is still dark thirty here. After my fabulous auction purchases on Saturday, I sat and got the sewing machine running. Then my friend Lynda came over with a machine she bought. It is a red Husqvarna SE 6570 with 8 cams. WOW!! She is going to take it in and have it repaired as one of the buttons are stuck on. What an absolutely beautiful machine. She bought it for me. She paid $40 for it. Another great buy. We have to pinky swear now to NOT buy any more machines.

I need to get some things done as I work Thursday to Saturday this week.

Have a great day friends in preparation for your American Thanksgiving.

Granny Judy
November 23rd, 2015, 08:14 AM
I am NOT enjoying this first Snow fall... it's 11 degrees out there!!! We went from the 60's into the deep freeze. UGH.

Oh, sure it looks "pretty", but that's about the best thing I can say about it. It isn't like I was a kid and couldn't wait to get all bundled up to get out there and make a snow MESS. (man). This snow won't pack together with it being so cold. I will just make a big cuppa Hot Coffee, shiver, shut the curtain and go look at some WARM fabric. I have just one more table runner to finish, then I can get back to the FMQ of my quilt for Christmas gifting.

We are doing a catered T/dinner. No one wants to cook this year, so we are getting a "traditional" package from Bob Evans.. (down on the farm sausage guy ) We've had it in the past and know it is really good. There will only be about 8 people getting together here this year. And did I mention paper plates?? No big clean up's afterward either. (which is generally my job) Just Counting our blessings and rubbing our tummies happening at this house..

Iris Girl
November 23rd, 2015, 08:28 AM
Morning all! Got all the fixins for the big dinner. Work today and tomorrow. Weds is pie making day. Its only the 4 of us as most are either dead or no where near. Its sad with no family for the hoildays , but have the immediate family that's what counts.
The kittens are growing by leaps and bounds and oh so cute, we are so happy we took all 3. Here is a latest picture.121674 they are left to right back row, Cranberry and Mistachio and Bionkers in the front.
My surgery will be Dec 10th I will be glad when thats over. Other then that nothing knew here, the weekend was beautiful in the 50's with a spectacular firey sunset last night.This morning it is a chilly 31. Got my haircut Sat and its a bit short but I got the layers I long for...may have finally found someone who can cut this hair! Have a great day all!

Lori63
November 23rd, 2015, 08:28 AM
Good morning all:) I've been somewhat absent from the forum, just checking in here and there. Life has gotten so busy...why oh why can't I retire early?

Blondie, love the gingerbread house! I may have to steal that idea. Almost every year we have a gingerbread contest (just the family). This sure would be easier!

Monique, LOVE that machine! Enjoy:)

It's cold here, no snow yet, but I'm sure it won't be long.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day:)

lourixe
November 23rd, 2015, 08:44 AM
That machine is a beauty, Monique! I worked so hard on Saturday, that I was only able to "brain sew" on Sunday (with a hot chocolate). I didn't sew a stitch, but I took my graph paper and DH's netbook and worked out several designs for decisions I had to make concerning quilt assembling, so it was a profitable day anyway.

We are dining out tonight -DH's BFF's birthday- but I think I'll manage to sneak a couple of hours of sewing after lunch. I need to add some borders to the DHG2 blocks so the quilt is at least lap size. I know I have a perfect piece of fabric for the back, so I might get it finished before I start Bonnie Hunter's Mystery on Friday.

ceiliam
November 23rd, 2015, 09:00 AM
Wow Monique great machine. Iris girl hope the surgery makes you feel better love love your kitties. Finished machine Quilting a quilt , binding on quilt. Finished some blocks vacumed the house, see what you can do when you can't sleep. Migraine finally gone.
Going to try and go to sleep.
Hope all have a wonderful day

MRoy
November 23rd, 2015, 09:01 AM
Good morning! It's 18 degrees here but no snow and a warm up is coming in time for Thanksgiving. We had Thanksgiving lunch with DS and his girlfriend yesterday. This was the first time meeting her and I was impressed. She's intelligent with some common sense too. DH was also impressed that she can reload shells, shoot a gun, and is a John Wayne fan like him.

Today, I plan to trim the JRR quilt and maybe begin binding it. The next UFO in line for quilting might be a cheddar bow-tie, but I've still not got a backing for it. I usually don't get the backing until after I've finished the quilt.

DH and I will have a small Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday. I have no plans for Black Friday shopping unless it's shopping online. Have a great day!

Bubby
November 23rd, 2015, 09:10 AM
Morning Everyone,

I have loads of laundry and errands to accomplish today as well as a trip to the hospital in Houston for some labs.

Blondie, I love your gingerbread house. Cathy, feel better soon. Monique I love your new machine...a real beauty. I remember by Mom having a machine with cams once. I think it was a Singer.

April, your kitties are so darling, especially Cranberry. I love her sweet little face and those big eyes!

Wishing everyone a great Monday as we begin the countdown to Thanksgiving.

Iris Girl
November 23rd, 2015, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=Bubby;820628]Morning Everyone,

April, your kitties are so darling, especially Cranberry. I love her sweet little face and those big eyes!

Thank you! Yes she is like an anime character with her big eyes, once her whiskers get all grown in she will be a beauty.

SewnByBee
November 23rd, 2015, 10:27 AM
Good Morning, Blonde, and everyonIt's CoLD here.

19· Is just a bit to much farther under th norm, for us in the South, Burrrr.........will be glad to warm up, just a bit.

Well, I cut out and started sewing my little baby quilt yesterday. I had been anxious to use the
Double Sliced Layer Cake block, and thought this would be a grate project to try it on, it makes a scrappy look
which I love. I think it will be fine, seeing how many little quilts, receiving blankies, and all you use, I'm sure it's the first of many, with any luck. It s h ould come together pretty fast. I used everything from a stash, I pick to make kids pillowcases out of.

I can't get enough of that hot COFFEE this morning, it gets Tastier as the temps drop, I think, Lol.

Bird day is almost here...... need to go to the grocery store, but it's has to warm up first. ......So Much for hibernating.

Have a grate Monday, and a blessed one too.121679

mischiefkat
November 23rd, 2015, 10:40 AM
Good Morning,
Been up since 5:30 the turkey for the boys school luncheon is in the oven. Hope it's done in time, has to be at the school at a 11am. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Glad I said I'd cook the 15# instead of the 22#. Iris your kittens are adorable. I bet they are so much fun to watch.
It's chilly here this am too,but it could a little chillier. Time we had some cooler weather....hot,hot ,hot year. My kitchen windows are open to air out the place.. Got a laugh this am as I watched people wearing jackets walking their dogs. Have a good day all Kathy

aliaslaceygreen
November 23rd, 2015, 11:04 AM
Good morning... the first day of MY weekend! DH home today, definitely doing the food shopping today, wont go NEAR the grocery store after today until after Thanksgiving! I managed to get Thanksgiving off as well; its a paid holiday but I hate to have three days off (said no one sane, EVER) so deep into the season...I have SO much work to do and so few hours to work with...but taking the day off freed up a few shifts when writing the schedule--it made the most sense...
I finished ONE Christmas project. And I ordered the photo for my Christmas card...so...

It seems a bit chilly out there, but it is sunny!!!! Have a good day, all!

KPH
November 23rd, 2015, 11:17 AM
It's a beautiful sunny Monday morning. I awoke to the click, click, click of the DH trying to light the gas logs in the den. Unfortunately, he didn't figure it out. So, now he's up in the attic, looking for the paperwork on said logs.

Sounds like some are going all out for the big turkey day. I've never really "done" Thanksgiving. Tradition here was breakfast at a buffet, Christmas parade, early dinner at the cafeteria and then the big tree lighting ceremony, complete with fireworks.

With just the three of us here at home, Jackson's Cafeteria is going to get our business. Macy's may be our parade, on TV.

Heading back to the court house to check on Mom's estate paperwork. Hopefully, the paper releasing Mom from paying the paid bill will be in the file. Still waiting on Alcatel to send the reimbursement check. It supposedly went in the mail last Monday. I am thankful that we're almost to the end of this mess!

The Good Night Irene (that will become... Good Night Howard) is over half way quilted. I hope to finish that up this week. I need to figure out how I'm going to bind it. I'm thinking about doing the flange binding Jenny demonstrated, but by the time I get to it, I may be ready to just get the thing done.

Have a great day! Happy pre- Thanksgiving! Happy early Black Friday shopping!

Plentziana
November 23rd, 2015, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone, here are already three noon and I eat in a while, Itīs my schedule for many years, I see you are preparing a party that is very important, we do not have that party Christmas is the December 24 untill January 7, we celebrate the Magi that is when we give gifts, although is some of our countries have other special holidays also bring gifts, over 25 in my country as we celebrate the "Olentzero" a mythological charecter that ill comes from a cave of our forests and brings presents to children, wishing everyone a wonderful holiday sending prayers and smiles to all who need it

pcbatiks
November 23rd, 2015, 11:34 AM
Good morning, everyone.

Blondie, love the gingerbread house recipe. Monique, the red sewing machine is too cool! And Katrina......a breakfast buffet sounds great for Thanksgiving!

We will go to my parents house for Turkey Day......about a mile away. :D Except......ours will be a Pork Loin Day! Pork Loin, mashed potatoes, gravy, cheese souffle, and pie for dessert........yummy!

I went to Hancock's Saturday to look around. I found an awesome Robert Kaufman Grinch print........and it was half price! Woohoo! So I splurged and bought 2 yards. It's one of the prints I did not have yet. I smiled all the way to the car.

Like Trish said.......I've got to get in the grocery store today to pick up a few things. I refuse to go the day before Thanksgiving......been there and done that and it was awful. :D

Stay warm everyone!

auntiemern
November 23rd, 2015, 12:08 PM
Been up since 6:15. Had to go get the2 little ones up and to school this AM. Gabe is doing fine after our scare Friday. Neck is working just fine. Gotta go get turkey day supplies today. I wasn't going to do it, but DD guilted me in to it. I just hate doing that much work for just the few of us. But she gets off at 2 (LOL) and my budding 8 yr old chef will be more than happy to help. She is quite a decent cook for her age. I so need to get in my sewing room and get some stuff done. I am soooo far behind, with being so ill. PICU quilts, baby quilt for cousin, several Christmas gifts....I see a marathon session in my future. Well off to get ready to go get the the turkey and all the fixins. Hugs and blessings for all. Prayers for those in need.

Dollyquilts
November 23rd, 2015, 12:34 PM
Good morning, friends. I'm cleaning out my fridge and freezer this morning, kind of a shelf at a time. The reason I'm doing that is the circuit board went out and defrosted everything before I discovered the problem.

I had my second cataract surgery last week, and I can see now. It's a painless surgery, and the biggest problem I've had is hitting my eye with the eye drops. I'm down to one specific drop three times a day in the first eye I had done, and two different drops three times a day in the last eye.

I bought a new fridge Friday at Home Depot but they can't deliver until Friday. So very handy son dropped by with an extra circuit board he had cannibalized from his fridge of the same make and model and replaced it. It did the trick and now the fridge is up and running, and even making ice now. I'll never buy another Samsung fridge, and neither will he. Now I've got to decide whether to cancel the purchase of the LG and use my Samsung until it finally bites the dust or have it moved to the garage and have the new fridge in the house. There's not much romance in purchasing kitchen appliances, so I'm leaning toward the cancellation.

The weather is gorgeous here. It was nippy last night, but it's going to get up in the mid 60s this afternoon. My DGD is off from school all week, so she's going to go with me to get a Honey Baked Ham. She is going to go in and purchase it for me. I'm sure she won't be awake until at least 10:30, so I'm going to get going and go to the grocery to replace some of the spoilage in the fridge, i.e. mayo, eggs and milk, lunch meat, etc. I need some cake yeast for my yeast rolls for Thursday. I've got to pick up a Spanish costume for the Nutcracker at my DD's and do some trim for her.

Sounds like some of you will be doing big doings on T-day. It will just be the five of us (my DD's family) and possibly a boyfriend or two for the girls. Have a great holiday, everyone.

CraftyJnet
November 23rd, 2015, 01:22 PM
Good morning all!
Sounds like everyone is very busy with their Thanksgiving purchasing/preparing. We are not a turkey family; no one likes turkey at all. So our tradition is prime rib with all the usual Thanksgiving sides. It will be my dh and I, my ex-husband, our daughter and my next-door neighbor. I told her this year she just HAD to join us. I invite her every year and she always says she is going to her niece's house. She has no children of her own.

Well, her caretaker told me that last year, she sat and waited all day for her niece to pick her up and she never came! I couldn't believe it; my neighbor is the nicest woman in the world. So this year I invited her early with a written invitation and a verbal one at the same time and just insisted. I'm glad she will be with us this year.

Well, off to get some trimmings at the store. Take care, everyone and have a great day!

rebeccas-sewing
November 23rd, 2015, 04:37 PM
Craftyjnet, that's terrible!!! How awful to be waiting all day only to be forgotten. I'm glad you took the bull by the horns and insisted that your neighbor celebrate Thanksgiving with you and your family. Baking/cooking is on today's agenda. I've already been to the market, dropped off a hefty amount of belongings to a local charity in our town and dropped a little gift in the post office box that we bought in South Africa to present to my sister-in-law. I'm so happy I donated our artificial tree since it will now reside within the church. I just happened to hit it on a day when one of the volunteers happened to be looking for larger trees to decorate the church. I decided no more artificial tree for us. I want a real tree. Nothing big but definitely real. The artificial one is just another thing taking up space in our attic. Begone, I say!

judimccl
November 23rd, 2015, 04:39 PM
Would love to join you for coffee, but I think by the time I made the drive from South Florida the coffee would be all gone! :icon_wave:

Grandma Nan
November 24th, 2015, 01:02 AM
Good morning friends. It is still dark thirty here. After my fabulous auction purchases on Saturday, I sat and got the sewing machine running. Then my friend Lynda came over with a machine she bought. It is a red Husqvarna SE 6570 with 8 cams. WOW!! She is going to take it in and have it repaired as one of the buttons are stuck on. What an absolutely beautiful machine. She bought it for me. She paid $40 for it. Another great buy. We have to pinky swear now to NOT buy any more machines.

I need to get some things done as I work Thursday to Saturday this week.

Have a great day friends in preparation for your American Thanksgiving.

Monique that is one beautiful machine. I love it.

Claire Hallman
November 24th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I love that red machine. I had a similar [Kenmore but not red] one from 1970 and it was a great machine, hope it can be repaired.