PDA

View Full Version : IT'S NOONTIME SUNDAY SO WHERE'S EVERYONE?

MayinJerset
November 22nd, 2015, 02:25 PM
PROBABLY CATCHING UP WITH THEIR SLEEP OR OUT SHOPPING FOR THANKSGIVING DINNER.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR THANKSGIVING? A BIG DINNER AT HOME OR AT A FAMILY MEMBERS OR FRIENDS OR NICE AND QUIET AT HOME WHILE YOU SEW TO YOUR HEART'S CONTENT?

AS DS#2 AND FAMILY SPEND THANKSGIVING WITH DIL'S FAMILY LAST NIGHT THEY CAME OVER WITH A PRE COOLED DINNER AND WE GOT TO KEEP ALL THE LEFTOVER HAM, VEGGIES AND DESSERT.

THOUGHT IT WOULD BE JUST DH AND I FOR A QUIET THANKSGIVING HERE BUT FOUND OUT LAST NIGHT THAT DS#3 IS COMING DOWN FROM MA. HIS CHILDREN SPEND THE DAY WITH THEIR MOM SO HE'LL BE WITH US AND DO SOME OF THE COOKING. I COULD GET USED TO HAVING OTHERS COOK FOR US.

WAT'S UP FOR YOU THIS YEAR? ?

Claire Hallman
November 22nd, 2015, 03:10 PM
We are going to eat with a cousin in law at her retirement village [supposed to be wonderful food]. She normally would have come to our house along with some other cousins but after falling and breaking her pelvis last year then having a hip replacement I don't think she is up to our steps so we are going to her. It will be the first time I haven't cooked Thanksgiving dinner in many years. Our kids are going to the other grandparent's so we will have them for Christmas. My niece is in the same town so we will get to see that side of my family for dessert perhaps.
I am making a chicken/dressing casserole today and will split it, half into the freezer and half for our dinner today. Feeling pretty clever.:icon_happy:

mischiefkat
November 22nd, 2015, 03:48 PM
We are going to have our Thanksgiving at DD house on Friday. Both DS and SIl work on Thanksgiving. SIL works 12hrs day shift son works 12 hrs night shift at the same place. I won't be getting out of cooking entirely . I'll be making mashed potatoes, green beans with bacon, and pumpkin bread. I also agreed to roast a turkey for the boys school luncheon. I am definitely looking forward to leftovers. No cooking for a few days hoorah. DH not to crazy about turkey leftovers ( silly guy) but I love em. Kathy

EmmaB
November 22nd, 2015, 03:52 PM
We are having thanksgiving at my sisters house. Her husbands family is joining us also. The more the merrier i always say! My dd and I are in charge of chicken and dumplings.

Sylvia H
November 22nd, 2015, 04:14 PM
I don't know yet! I am waiting to hear from my sister. With the difficulties she has been dealing with, she isn't in the mood to celebrate anything right now. She suggested coming over to my home and having a one day quilting marathon - or - volunteer to work at her part-time department store job. I have a feeling she is going to choose working.

I have been invited to son and daughter-in-law's, and also to a neighbor's. If sis doesn't come over, maybe I'll do both. MY DIL usually gives me the turkey carcass so I can make stock - yum, yum.

Here are some suggestions on what to do with your T-day leftovers: http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/17-important-things-to-do-with-thanksgiving-leftov#.lpjXNb88G

jjkaiser
November 22nd, 2015, 04:35 PM
Well my DD declared three years ago she was officially hosting all Thanksgivings at her house. I missed the turkey leftovers but it was kind of nice knowing the crowd was going to her house instead. But it appears I am not off the hook permantly as samd DD has just gotten divorced and moved so this year everybody's coming to my house for turkey day--except DD #3 and her 3 yo and 1month old new baby. They live 2.5 hrs away. They will be up soon for Breakfast with Santa and marathon Christmas Cookie Baking day, and again for Christmas.

So today I spent another three hours hemming a quilt I made for my sister. Still not done with the hem, boy that's a long ways around that thing! This afternoon will put it away and buckle down to make the Long grocery list!

Cathy F
November 22nd, 2015, 04:43 PM
I may be the odd duck here but my husband and I like to spend some quiet holiday time together so it will be just the two of us for Thanksgiving dinner. We did this last year too and really enjoyed it. My daughter goes to her in-laws for dinner and saves Christmas for us. My son and daughter in law invited us for dinner but we may stop by there for dessert. This is a nice break as I have everyone here for Christmas and do all the cooking. We will have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner just scaled down with a turkey breast, stuffing, sweet potatoes and one or two veggies.
We get to watch the whole Thanksgiving parade and we always like the dog show that comes on afterward. No rushing around or schedule to keep that day.

Navy Wife
November 22nd, 2015, 05:26 PM
DS #1 and DIL are hosting the Thanksgiving dinner. Her brother and his girlfriend are coming, along with DS#2, DIL, and us. All I have to do is make a sweet potato casserole.

I'm looking at snow on the mountains today. Just on the high peaks, but looks like quite a bit of snow. We expected a dusting.

toggpine
November 22nd, 2015, 07:06 PM
We are still at the beach and have been taking advantage of the sunny, if cold, weather.

It sounds like Thanksgiving dinner is at my Aunt's again this year. It's easier to get all of her kids to her place than to pack them all up and get them anywhere else. It always seems as if they are in a hurry to eat and leave if they come to any of our houses for a holiday. I should mention her kids are all grown adults. She is the guardian of her 11 year old granddaughter, but it has been this way for years.
I'll make fresh yeast rolls and something else, possibly a dessert.

This is what we were doing this morning before we came in to watch the football game!

Quiltfreestyle
November 22nd, 2015, 07:50 PM
LFor 40 years we hosted the family Thanksgiving day dinner for 12 to 20 people. Sadly many of the family have passed away & the boys have grown up & moved out of state.. The last year we hosted there was only 8 people. So last year our youngest son & his wife insisted that we have dinner at their house in Orange County. It was wonderful, her parents came down from Oregon too. This year all the kids are living out of state & there aren't any other relatives to invite so my DH & I are going to Mass & then to the Parish Thanksgiving Feast. I'm really looking forward to this, several friends will be there to share the day. There will be the traditional turkey, stuffing & veggies but everyone is asked to bring a dish that represents their cultural heritage, so that will be a real treat.

Mom23
November 22nd, 2015, 08:45 PM
I will be cooking dinner for 18 this year. All three of my kids will be here along with my mom and my two sister's families. We will also celebrate my mom's 75th birthday. Sunday afternoon we will Give Thanks with my husband's family. I have spent much time the past few days reflecting on everything I have to be thankful for. I am blessed.

Thanksgiving always reminds me of the year I asked my teenage son to bring the turkey from the deep freeze in the garage to the refrigerator in the basement. Thanksgiving morning my husband and I got up early to prepare the turkey and found he had put it in the refrigerator FREEZER in the basement. All of our company got to eat Thanksgiving ham that year. It's something to laugh about and we've never let him forget it.

kimsophia
November 23rd, 2015, 02:32 AM
Haha, that's a funny story, Mom23! I have one too! After Thanksgiving dinner all my aunts and Grandma were washing dishes and putting away the food in the kitchen. I stood in the doorway and asked my Aunt Vi if they needed any help. She was cleaning out the coffee percolator and she had put the used grounds in a tea cup. She said, "You can put this in the toilet!" I said, "What?" and she said, "Put this in the toilet!" Well you can guess what happened...I very gingerly set it into the toilet water. lolol I came back and she asked, "Where's the cup?" and I said, "I put it in the toilet!" in innocent protest. I still remember her rushing out of the kitchen asking, "Did you flush it?" lolol Heck no I didn't flush it. She didn't say to flush it. I thought perhaps it was some weird cleaning technique like soaking cloth diapers. :icon_happy:

stationarymom
November 23rd, 2015, 03:23 AM
We go to my sil house for Thanksgiving dinner.

MomGram
November 23rd, 2015, 04:50 AM
I'm hosting dinner. I think there will be around 15 of us. Hmmm need to figure out how to get everyone around the table.

Bouse
November 23rd, 2015, 06:43 AM
I'm loving all your Thanksgiving stories and menus. We don't celebrate it here in Scotland but having spent as much time on this forum as I have in the last year, I want to celebrate a little with you all. I am going to do a small turkey roast, trimmings and pecan pie on Sunday. My husband is absolutely delighted............

Carol336
November 23rd, 2015, 09:10 AM
Going to DS and DDIL's house for a international thanksgiving. DDIL works at NIH and most of her lab friends are from other countries. They invite both families plus any of her co-workers that don't have anywhere else to go. There is always the traditional turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc.....and the there are a conglomeration of dishes from different countries.....it's always a wonderful day. This year we're bringing a fried turkey and deviled eggs (always requested of Grammy from DGD)