PDA

View Full Version : Best Thanksgiving Side Dishes

jjkaiser
November 21st, 2015, 08:17 PM
What's your favorite side dish besides cheesy corn casserole or green bean casserole? I'm getting a bit tired of those and my family doesn't like wild rice. We always have sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, dressing and dinner rolls so am looking for something outside the starch box.

Hulamoon
November 21st, 2015, 08:24 PM
I posted this one. It was really good!

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/yummy-recipes/31630-spinich-gratin.html

Carlie Wolf
November 21st, 2015, 08:49 PM
Some people just like the candied carrots. (I'm a german string bean person myself though)

KPH
November 21st, 2015, 09:40 PM
My kids loved Copper Pennies, Corn Salad, Watergate Salad (but they called it That Green Stuff Grandma Makes), and GGma's Pickled Beets.

MayinJerset
November 21st, 2015, 10:07 PM
I tried this dish last year and everyone liked it so it has become our new favorite Holiday dish.

Peas and Pearl Onions in Cream Sauce

1 cup water
1 10-ounce bag frozen pearl onions, thawed
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 10-ounce bag frozen petite peas, thawed
(I added another 10 oz bag of peas the 2nd time I made it)

Directions
1. Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the onions and return to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer until tender—approximately 12 minutes. Drain the onions and place in a medium, heat-resistant bowl.
2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and whisk in the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, whisking constantly, until the flour’s wheat scent dissipates.
3. Slowly whisk in the half-and-half—stirring constantly to prevent lumps—and continue to cook until the cream sauce thickens. Taste the sauce and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
4. Add the peas and onions to the sauce and cook until heated through.
Preparation Time:* 30 minutes.

*Feel free to cook up the onions and prepare the cream sauce early in the day—both can be held safely at room temperature for a few hours. Gently warm the sauce and add the onions and peas just before serving.

Sandy Navas
November 21st, 2015, 10:07 PM
I know not everyone likes cranberries, but I do love a cranberry orange relish. Mom always wanted Waldorf Salad - so I try to fix that or an ambrosia (not necessary savory). I don't care for the green bean casserole, but do love the cheesy corn. However, I make a sweet and sour green bean dish that is wonderful. We always have black olives (and teach the little ones how to eat them off their finger-tips), along with gerkins and whatever little tidbits everyone likes. I'm mouth-watering over Lorie's spinach though. Recently we roast most of our vegetables - so even those who swear "no more broccoli" would love roasted broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, even green beans. I always sprinkle with balsamic, olive oil, salt and pepper, and our favorite grated cheese.

Hulamoon
November 21st, 2015, 10:28 PM
I love finger olives! Gerkins was something my mom always had around too, along with canned sardines. Good memories.

Kat Smith
November 21st, 2015, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't touch turnip or rutabaga for years then my Mother came up with a new recipe and now my family fights over the leftovers for breakfast. I always make lots so there will be lots of leftovers. However the more I make the more they eat.

Turnip Casserole
4 cups mashed turnip/rutabaga
2 cups cubed bread
1/2 c marg (melted)
2 Tbsp. white sugar
4 eggs beaten
Mix together and bake in moderate oven 1 1/4 hours

That's the recipe, but I just go with what ever size turnip I have and then add the bread, sometimes more just eyeballing it. If not so much turnip, I usually only do 3 eggs unless I am making a big a really large turnip and lots of bread. I find that the time is long in my oven. The top will be golden brown when done.

An other favorite of mine is jellied salad ( lime jello with a tbsp of vinegar in it to cut the sweetness) but with cole slaw in it instead of fruit. Then I thin mayo or Miracle Whip type dressing out with a bit of milk and pour it over it when it has been turned out of the mould.

Happy Thanksgiving
Kathy

Midge
November 21st, 2015, 10:32 PM
I love roasted brussels sprouts with a vinaigrette made with fish sauce and rice wine vinegar (yes. It's delish.) The key to the dish is tossing the cleaned and halved brussels in olive oil and spreading them out in a cast iron pan, cut side down. Saute until they start to get brown, or even black. Then move the pan to the oven to finish roasting. If no cast iron pan is available, you can put the brussels on a baking sheet to carmelize in the oven the whole time. This can be done ahead and either reheated or served at room temp. I've got the vinaigrette recipe somewhere, but I can't find it right this minute. If anyone wants to try this dish, PM me and I'll search for it. This is not my creation, it comes from Momofuku in NYC.

Also love a gratin. This dish is scalable for a crowd, so use amounts you need. The cheese to veggie to milk ratio assumes about 3/4 lb each of white potatoes, parsnips and butternut squash. Slice the peeled veggies very thinly about 1/8" with a mandoline. While you slice the veggies, heat 1 1/2 C milk with a peeled and smashed garlic clove until it starts to scald. Remove from the heat and add a sprinkle of nutmeg. Arrange about 1/3 of the sliced veggies in a gratin dish you have rubbed with another clove of garlic and then EVOO. Atop each layer sprinkle part of 1 C. grated Gruyere (Swiss or Emmenthaler are also good) and 1 C grated Pecorino. Sprinkle each layer with a generous pinch of fresh chopped thyme and rosemary. Make the 3 layers and then pour the milk over the top. Drizzle another tablespoon or so of EVOO over the top and bake at 350 deg for about 50 - 60 minutes, or until a sharp knife poked in the dish cuts through the veggies easily. If it isn't brown enough on top, put it under the broiler for a few minutes. The browned bits on top are definitely worth it!

Kat Smith
November 21st, 2015, 10:39 PM
Oh now we are in trouble, the brain is fixed on food now. Something I found on Facebook awhile ago is baked Cabbage. You cut the cabbage in what they called 1 in steaks. Baste the steaks with olive oil and diced garlic, sprinkle with sea salt. Bake 20 min and then turn them over and baste the other side. Bake for 20 min. They are so good, some of the outside parts get nice and crispy. It is from the Paleo Diet, it is called Oven Roasted Garlic Cabbage if you want to look it up.

Kathy

alliek
November 21st, 2015, 10:56 PM
You have ALL made me hungry!!! I love vegetables. Unfortunately, my DGC do not care for them so much. We keep it simple. This year we are NOT making green bean casserole or corn pudding. Getting a little worn out in that dept.. Maybe next year. We are making candied sweets, carrot coins, Verts sauteed with garlic and red onion, along with mashed potatoes, and stuffing. We always have a nice cranberry relish along with Cranberry Orange bread and yeast rolls. (gravy too) AND since it is my kitchen, I just might make some roasted brussel sprouts which no one but me will enjoy!! Happy healthy Thanksgiving to All.

Hulamoon
November 21st, 2015, 11:07 PM
Iv'e never had cheesy corn. But one year I brought corn (sauteed) with onions,orange and red bell peppers. It was so simple but went so fast because everything else was too rich.

Mom23
November 22nd, 2015, 12:15 AM
This isn't a vegetable side dish but our Thanksgiving Dinner wouldn't be the same without it.

CRANBERRIES IN SNOW
Printed from COOKS.COM
1 lb. cranberries
3/4 c. water
1 c. crushed pineapple, drained
1 c. nuts
1 lg. cream cheese
1 lg. box cherry Jello
2 c. sugar
1 c. celery, chopped
1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow creme
1/2 pt. whipping cream
Cook cranberries in water until tender. Add to Jello and sugar. Stir and
let cool. Add pineapple, celery and nuts. Refrigerate until set.
TOPPING: Mix cream cheese and marshmallow creme and whipped
cream (whip first). Spread on top of Jello.

FabStripper
November 22nd, 2015, 12:29 AM
Oh now we are in trouble, the brain is fixed on food now. Something I found on Facebook awhile ago is baked Cabbage. You cut the cabbage in what they called 1 in steaks. Baste the steaks with olive oil and diced garlic, sprinkle with sea salt. Bake 20 min and then turn them over and baste the other side. Bake for 20 min. They are so good, some of the outside parts get nice and crispy. It is from the Paleo Diet, it is called Oven Roasted Garlic Cabbage if you want to look it up.

Kathy

This sounds real good!

Midge
November 22nd, 2015, 12:31 AM
This sounds real good!

It is really really good. I've made it with cabbage and also with cauliflower cut into 1" "steaks". Excellent flavor with the carmelization.

Hulamoon
November 22nd, 2015, 12:33 AM

Kathy
I just bought a cabbage for fish tacos. It sits in the fridge and goes to waste. I'm going to try this just for me this week!

Angelia
November 22nd, 2015, 11:55 AM
I like to steam broccoli, sprinkled lightly with red pepper flakes, until barely done and toss with a dab of sesame oil and soy sauce.

SewnByBee
November 22nd, 2015, 12:13 PM
Pistachio Salad
is a simple but delicious side we always look forward to, use :
one Lg. Box instant Pistachio pudding
one can crushed pineapples ( well drained)
one large container of coolwhip
one cup finely choped pecans
marshmallows are optional
directions, first , follow the box directions to make the pudding, then add the coolwhip, add the well drained crushed pineapples, and nuts, gentley fold together, the marshmallows too if desired. Put in refrigerator to chill. ENJOY

Cathy F
November 22nd, 2015, 12:17 PM
Sandy, we're so on the same page when it comes to those roasted veggies, I do mine the same way, delish!

Cathy F
November 22nd, 2015, 12:19 PM
I know not everyone likes cranberries, but I do love a cranberry orange relish. Mom always wanted Waldorf Salad - so I try to fix that or an ambrosia (not necessary savory). I don't care for the green bean casserole, but do love the cheesy corn. However, I make a sweet and sour green bean dish that is wonderful. We always have black olives (and teach the little ones how to eat them off their finger-tips), along with gerkins and whatever little tidbits everyone likes. I'm mouth-watering over Lorie's spinach though. Recently we roast most of our vegetables - so even those who swear "no more broccoli" would love roasted broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, even green beans. I always sprinkle with balsamic, olive oil, salt and pepper, and our favorite grated cheese.

Sandy, we are so on the same page with those veggies, delish!

Vonnie
November 22nd, 2015, 01:20 PM
Pistachio Salad
is a simple but delicious side we always look forward to, use :
one Lg. Box instant Pistachio pudding
one can crushed pineapples ( well drained)
one large container of coolwhip
one cup finely choped pecans
marshmallows are optional
directions, first , follow the box directions to make the pudding, then add the coolwhip, add the well drained crushed pineapples, and nuts, gentley fold together, the marshmallows too if desired. Put in refrigerator to chill. ENJOY

This sounds great! I will try this - my family loves pistachio bundt cake so they should like this.

jjkaiser
November 22nd, 2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks everyone, my stomach is growling just reading these suggestions and yummy sounding recipes!! Oh and I found a cute thing on Pinterest for dinner rolls: shape your dough into rounds then make slight slashes all around, top with a whole pecan standing straight up and you have rolls that look like little baby pumpkins with a pecan for the stem!

SewnByBee
November 22nd, 2015, 07:44 PM
Toasted Seasond Pecans ( in honor of my Mom)

Sprinkle pecans with a little Dales sause ( you can get low salt and still have the flacor ) or Whorshtishier sause , (stake sause ) on them
Then sprinkle with sean all , or creoe (salty , spicy or sweet )
Toast in oven n baking sheet on med. High turn them with a spatula , carful not to scorch, just til crip, these are fabulous, to have around. Always a hit.

vickit
November 22nd, 2015, 10:38 PM
We used to drive more often than we do now to a restaurant called Sweet Tomatoes. It was totally worth the 1 1/2 hr drive to eat there because my absolutely favorite salad was always on their huge salad bar. I searched for about 4 yrs to find that recipe and after trying probably 10 others claiming to be the same recipe, I found it. Now this is a staple at Thanksgiving and Christmas at my house. I normally only make it then so I have others to help me eat it as my husband refuses to eat broccoli.

This is the recipe and it is awesome. Any notes were not made by me, but by 'Granny' who posted the recipe. I sadly don't have a link to a website as this was found on a site where anyone could post a recipe and it was just one recipe after another so I had no way to get a link to this one. The one note she added was that she didn't add as many raisins, but I normally will be generous on those. I will also say that it just doesn't taste the same if you do not use Miracle Whip. Mayo just doesn't do it for this recipe.

Broccoli Salad with Celery and Raisins

This is a broccoli salad with raisins and sunflower seeds, and a dressing made with Miracle Whip Salad Dressing and sugar and vinegar.

INGREDIENTS:
1 bunch broccoli, cut up
1/2 cup finely chopped red onions
1/2 lb. bacon cooked, crumbled
1 cup raisins (I didn't use quite so much)
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Dressing:
1 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon vinegar

PREPARATION:
In a large serving bowl, combine broccoli and other salad ingredients. Mix dressing ingredients together, pour over salad ingredients and toss gently.
Granny's Note: I took this broccoli salad to a church progressive dinner.
BIG HIT!!
Shared by Granny.

Momama
November 23rd, 2015, 12:41 AM
I love finger olives! Gerkins was something my mom always had around too, along with canned sardines. Good memories.
LOLOLOLOLO!!!!! too funny

CraftyBarb
November 23rd, 2015, 02:06 AM
My favorite dish was always chestnut dressing. My Nana made it the best. I looked forward each year to Thanksgiving for her dressing. I have tried making it but it just never taste the same.

Kat Smith
November 23rd, 2015, 03:10 PM
We used to drive more often than we do now to a restaurant called Sweet Tomatoes. It was totally worth the 1 1/2 hr drive to eat there because my absolutely favorite salad was always on their huge salad bar. I searched for about 4 yrs to find that recipe and after trying probably 10 others claiming to be the same recipe, I found it. Now this is a staple at Thanksgiving and Christmas at my house. I normally only make it then so I have others to help me eat it as my husband refuses to eat broccoli.

This is the recipe and it is awesome. Any notes were not made by me, but by 'Granny' who posted the recipe. I sadly don't have a link to a website as this was found on a site where anyone could post a recipe and it was just one recipe after another so I had no way to get a link to this one. The one note she added was that she didn't add as many raisins, but I normally will be generous on those. I will also say that it just doesn't taste the same if you do not use Miracle Whip. Mayo just doesn't do it for this recipe.

Broccoli Salad with Celery and Raisins

This is a broccoli salad with raisins and sunflower seeds, and a dressing made with Miracle Whip Salad Dressing and sugar and vinegar.

INGREDIENTS:
1 bunch broccoli, cut up
1/2 cup finely chopped red onions
1/2 lb. bacon cooked, crumbled
1 cup raisins (I didn't use quite so much)
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Dressing:
1 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon vinegar

PREPARATION:
In a large serving bowl, combine broccoli and other salad ingredients. Mix dressing ingredients together, pour over salad ingredients and toss gently.
Granny's Note: I took this broccoli salad to a church progressive dinner.
BIG HIT!!
Shared by Granny.

Love this salad, always a big hit! Variations I had are to use both broccoli and cauliflower, apple cider vinegar instead of regular vinegar and grapes or cranberries instead of the raisins, and we all know anything with cranberries is a good thing.
Kathy

Cool Breeze Quilter
November 23rd, 2015, 06:23 PM
My favorite Thanksgiving side is stuffing. I would be thrilled to have just stuffing with a little cranberry sauce on the side. LOL! I like traditional stuffing and also traditional with sausage. And LOVE cornbread stuffing.

nayzie
November 23rd, 2015, 06:36 PM
Spiced pears are always a favorite at our table.
2cans-29oz pears & 1 bag cinnamon imperials. Heat the cinnamons in the juice from the pears, cool and add to the pears, put in fridge 3-4 days before eating them. yummy

kensington
November 23rd, 2015, 06:47 PM
I am traditional for Thanksgivng...

Mashed w/gravy, dressing, sweet potatoes, slow cooked green beans, corn, rolls, Ice Tea.

But, one year someone brought carrot casserole and it was really good... You cut the carrot into small slices, you can cook them first to make the easier to slice. Make a white sauce, using 2 TBSP butter and 2TBSP flower, and milk enough to make a Med. White sauce. Add 1/4 of dry mustard and shredded cheddar chees... about 1c. mix altogether, and pour into buttered casserole dish. Top with finely crushed cracker crumbs and bake till browning and bubbly at 350.

I do like Cauliflower casserole too... Break up head of Cauliflower into flowerets, cook till almost done, drain, Make a Medium white sauce and stir in 1 cup of Swiss cheese. Stir til melted, put cauliflower in casserole, pour Swiss cheese sauce over, sprinkle with paprika and bake till browning and bubbly.

I've made both of these for things to take or at home for other holidays, they are always all eaten up!