PDA

View Full Version : SCRIBD users

jjkaiser
November 16th, 2015, 01:38 PM
(This question has nothing to do with quilting or sewing) Anybody on the forum use Scribd? It is a digital e-reader subscription where you can check out books and keep them as long as you want. My brother got me a subscription last year. It's pretty good and I use it a lot. But it is expiring in three weeks and I am having difficulty finding out what it costs to renew. Went on their website, it says nothing about cost, just mentions premium membership, which I don't think I have, and it was not clear what that is. I am guessing maybe it includes access to audio books which I don't use, and there were no prices listed. So I just Googled Scribd and was shocked at the number of negative comments, poor customer service, over charges, books that don't fully load, etc. But the most surprising thing wss people who posted outrage that their price has increased from $8.99 a month to $8.99 a book--that is crazy if it is true! People angry their credit cards were charged $80 - $90 at a crack. So I emailed customer service to try to figure this out but they have not responded. The Google search also indicated that if you cancel membership you lose all the titles that you saved to your library. I am not canceling but will I lose everything if my subscription expires? I have only had good experience with them so far. But I almost renewed and gave them my credit card number, now I don't think I want to share that. Anybody have any input on this I would appreciate your two cents! Thank you

shirleyknot
November 16th, 2015, 02:32 PM
If you decide to renew, do it through Paypal so you have some protection.

mischiefkat
November 16th, 2015, 04:17 PM
I agree with Shirleyknot about using Paypal. As with other deals especially cable,many times the price increases drastically once the promo is over. I hope that because you enjoy this so much that it is an error. Good Luck Kathy

jjkaiser
November 16th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Thanks ladies. Unfortunately I cannot do Paypal. My DH forbids me using them bc a few years ago our credit card # was hacked thru PP, it was three weeks before our daughter's wedding, the worst time to have your credit card ripped away from you. Had to close accounts, the whole nine yards, it was an incredible mess to get straightened out. And try finding a phone number for PP that was almost impossible!!!

bubba
November 16th, 2015, 08:12 PM
I buy my books from Amazon for my Kindle. There are sites that list the free books Amazon offers and I frequent them too. Most books I buy are no more than $3 each and the majority of them are free. One site is Pixels of Ink and the other escapes me right now, sorry!

Peggi
November 17th, 2015, 03:04 AM
Amazon also lists the free books, just sort by price.

snippet
November 17th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Can't help you about Scribd. I use Amazon and get the free book a month because I have a Samsung phone. I also check out ebooks from my library.

rebeccas-sewing
November 17th, 2015, 01:30 PM
This is upsetting to hear. I thought Paypal was supposed to be a safe way to use one's credit?
Thanks ladies. Unfortunately I cannot do Paypal. My DH forbids me using them bc a few years ago our credit card # was hacked thru PP, it was three weeks before our daughter's wedding, the worst time to have your credit card ripped away from you. Had to close accounts, the whole nine yards, it was an incredible mess to get straightened out. And try finding a phone number for PP that was almost impossible!!!

gshalom
November 17th, 2015, 02:43 PM
many public libraries also loan e-books if you have a library card...all that is free

Sheep Farmer
November 17th, 2015, 03:58 PM
I used SCRIBD a lot in the past but only the FREE stuff; I never gave them a credit card number.
If you don't have Paypal, then I would go the route of Amazon (Kindle or Prime), since there are a ton of free books as well as lower priced ones. Also the Library does loan out many books (even digital ones).

Deegles
November 17th, 2015, 11:28 PM

Go to the dollar store and buy a prepaid vanilla visa card. You load the card with cash and then it will be limited and cannot be hacked or charged again.

easyquilts
November 18th, 2015, 12:26 AM
I get my books through a couple if libraries.... It's great... No cost is not involved, and I have access to books, movies, recorded books, and more... No overdue fees, either....

I used to buy books from eBooks and Kindle, but now I just check them out...

jjkaiser
November 18th, 2015, 01:43 AM
Go to the dollar store and buy a prepaid vanilla visa card. You load the card with cash and then it will be limited and cannot be hacked or charged again.
I LOVE this idea. I think it is genius if you are shoppjng online and have any doubts about the store. Believe me, I will definitely be doing this. Thanks for suggesting it espec with Black Friday coming up!!