PDA

View Full Version : Night Owls Hoot

kimsophia
November 16th, 2015, 03:03 AM
Hoot hoot, Night Owls! How are you tonight or this morning?

I'm doing pretty well. I made it to Jo-Ann's today with the intention of using my 60% off coupons but I didn't find anything big that I needed. I think I'll need some even weave linen for a future project but I still need to think about that.

Today I've been hand sewing a little 7-inch Amish doll. It was another silly thing in the grab bag I got at Goodwill. It says that Amish dolls do not have a face. That does make things easier. She wears a dress with a pinafore over it, and a bonnet. I am using embroidery floss for hair. It's keeping me busy this evening, anyway. :P

What's up in your tree? Hoot hoot it! @,@

stationarymom
November 16th, 2015, 03:33 AM
Hoot I'm actually still up tonight.I love rag dolls ,but I've never made one. Will you post a pic when your done?You must have a great
Goodwill store near you to find such treasures. I didn't make it to Joann's this weekend I wanted to go and look for some good border fabric to make the 60 degree table runner.I had to go shopping with my DD she got a new job and needs some clothes for that.

toggpine
November 16th, 2015, 03:33 AM
It's been a crappy week. Too many deaths of all sorts to happen in one week. I know Rhonda is dealing with this too. It just really sucked it right out of me. Not much sewing has been done this week. I did dig out a cross stitch project to make sitting time more productive.
The torrential rains did stop for a while today. We moved hay up to the buck shed and worked a bit outside to catch the few sun bursts that rolled through. It was a good day, even though our football boys lost.
I'm hoping for a better week.
Heading for the nest shortly, so good night sweet friends!
Hugs, Cathy

stationarymom
November 16th, 2015, 03:40 AM
Cathy I'm sorry you had a bad week death is such a hard thing to deal with.I saw Cyndi's post and I can't imagine going through all that at one time.Does anyone know if they were able to diagnose her son?last time I saw they didn't know what was wrong.I hope tomorrow brings a better day((hugs)) Sleep tight.

Hulamoon
November 16th, 2015, 03:50 AM
Sad days. I had to stop watching the news.

I made some Amish dolls. I think I only have one left. I'll take a pic in the morning. Just watching Walking dead. Normal Sunday night. lol

pcbatiks
November 16th, 2015, 03:54 AM
Good evening, night owls. Kim, I am curious what is even weave linen & what is it used for?

Cathy, sorry to hear you have had a rough week. Prayers to you and our other quilty friends that are dealing with heavy burdens.

toggpine
November 16th, 2015, 04:49 AM
I think the even weave linen is for hand embroidery and or cross stitching.

Thanks. It has to get better. Our family friend has finally passed after a loosing battle with infection and subsequent kidney failure, our grand old lady goat and her pasture-mate have crossed over to greener pastures, and my step-great grandfather has also passed after a major heart attack. Then there was Paris. Like I said, it has to get better. Not everything was bad last week, but it was hard to find and hold the happy and joy when something else dropped every couple of days.
We are taking next weekend to sneak off to the beach. Our timeshare had an open weekend, so we are going. The ocean always makes me feel better, even if we are going to be battling storms it will be good for a change of scenery.
Ooh boy! The weather lady says MORE rain with a side of high winds! Whoo Hoo!
Yeah, on that note, time for bed.

kimsophia
November 16th, 2015, 05:14 AM
pcbatiks, as near as I can tell, evenweave linen doesn't have the slubs and threads of varied thicknesses that regular linen does. It is recommended in a pattern that I have where the faces and hands are done cross stitching over a single thread. For that, the fabric can't be a compound weave like Aida or Hardanger.

However, the clothing in the piece is done with standard size cross stitch that goes over two threads. The littler single thread stitches give a finer definition to the face and hands which is an interesting visual contrast.

SewnByBee
November 16th, 2015, 07:23 AM
I was just lookng at rag dolls, strength g dolls, .......ect.....coo. ......I saw an angel at my aunts house, would leave ve to make, if I can find a similar pattern.

Lightwriter
November 16th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Greetings from an early morning hooter. I am concerned for all the need in so many lives at the present. Seems like good news is rare and so many are struggling with illness, pain, and grief. Prayers for so many people.

MayinJerset
November 16th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Joining Connie as an early morning Hooter as I can't fall back to sleep. Thought it would be better to spend time at the computer instead of lying there in the dark with too many worrisome things going though my mind. The news from Paris has cast a sense of dread over even the smallest of problems. Sun should be up soon and hopefully brighten up my day.

Cathy wish I could join you and get away to the beach for a few days - maybe DH and I could drive along The Shore as it should be free of tourists at this time of the year.

Carol336
November 16th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Another am Hooter here.....actually slept in this morning....6am. Had trouble falling asleep last night and took a couple of tylenol pms about 11and then proceeded to read myself to sleep.

Got my table runner all pieced yesterday - hopefully I'll get if finished up today. Nervous about the backing and quilting since I've never done that before - but hey - ya gotta start somewhere

Hope the night owls are sleeping nicely right now

toggpine
November 16th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Cathy wish I could join you and get away to the beach for a few days - maybe DH and I could drive along The Shore as it should be free of tourists at this time of the year.

Come on out!
I'm all for taking a trip to where ever helps you get back to your happy place.