PDA

View Full Version : House built in 1640

Divine Daisy
November 15th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Living in a house built during the English Civil War is rather like living with a sulky teenager.

They are sweet, warm, look fabulous and most of the time are a delight to be with.

Let it pour with rain on a Saturday night however.................

The Teenager will sulk all day in her room playing moody music because Sunday hockey was cancelled.

The house will pee water into your airing cupboard soaking your carefully stored antique Christening Gown because it doesn't 'do' wind and rain driving against 400 year old roof tiles.

oldsewer
November 15th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Oh, no, what now? My sympathies and hopes for an easy recovery.

Monique
November 15th, 2015, 09:08 AM
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandy Navas
November 15th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Beyond frustration with you - hope it can easily be salvaged.

KPH
November 15th, 2015, 10:53 AM
I hope everything can be fixed.

MRoy
November 15th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Oh dear! I hope you can save the gown.

mommadeb
November 15th, 2015, 11:05 AM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Divine Daisy
November 15th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Gown is saved. As I said 'carefully stored' and antique silk is not as delicate as you think. Modern linen however looking a bit grim. Water coming through a very old roof is not the cleanest!

We have primped ,patched , tweaked and prodded the roof for 13 years to make it last as long as possible but...........meetings with the Listed Buildings people in our near future as we have decided that it needs to be replaced next summer. We have to replace 'like with like' because of the age of the house, preserve as many of the old tiles as possible, restore old timbers and employ skilled and registered craftsmen to do the job.

It is true, when you live in a house like ours you are only ever custodian. It is our pleasure to preserve it for future generations, although it will be less of a pleasure for our bank account!

Midge
November 15th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Glad to hear your gown is saved. I can only imagine how dirty water coming through a very old roof is. I imagine there was a time when coal was burned to heat your home? Must be quite expensive to meet the standards for repair, but on the bright side you are living in a home built in 1640. The charm, the gracefulness. Such a contrast to the tackiness of much of what is built today in the US.

songbird857
November 15th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Oh, Daisy... I'm glad you were able to save the dress.

Quiltfreestyle
November 15th, 2015, 07:56 PM
So glad you were able to salvage the gown. I adore old houses but I know how difficult it can be to keep them repaired. Here in the US I don't think we have any that old, and for sure none of that age on the west coast where I live.
So happy there are people like you who take on the responsibility of saving these homes for future generations..

kensington
November 15th, 2015, 08:10 PM
I know what you mean. My sister and my mil both owned houses in a Historic District of our city and they had regulations for what they could and could not do when improving or doing upkeep. But, I'm sure it's an awesome house.

SallyO'Sews
November 15th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Ooohh, would love to see photos of your home (hint, hint...)! So glad you were able to salvage the dress.
How does Seamus endure rainy days? Or do they bother him?

laura44
November 16th, 2015, 02:23 AM
I would love to see a picture too!

Divine Daisy
November 16th, 2015, 03:06 PM

here you go

The last is to show the beams not the cat! However for those interested, the cat is Boris, now no longer with us but a lovely boy who lived to old age and was very precious. Another Main Coon, he weighed in at 34lbs in his prime and you can see how big he is from the cuddle!

Sandy Navas
November 16th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Love, love, love the pictures - love even more that you are able to drop in here and spend a wee bit of time with us and share!!