PDA

View Full Version : Baking for the Holidays!

Elaine21
November 14th, 2015, 11:50 PM
The Holidays are fast approaching as we all know, and soon it will be time for me to put all my sewing gear away (I don't have a dedicated sewing room) and start working in the kitchen. I usually bake LOTS for Christmas, starting on December 1st. I generally bake 2 batches of everything, and I bake 2 different things every day. Last year I think I had about 30 containers of baked goods in my freezer by the time I was done. I put an assortment of the baking in a large tin to give to friends and family for Christmas....and I take a big tray to a friends house for New Years Eve as well. It's nice to have all the goodies in the freezer to be able to pull out when needed during the Holiday Season.

Does anyone else do this? Every year I say I'm not going to bake as much....and I always do. Once I get started....I just keep on going! LOL

Elaine21
November 14th, 2015, 11:53 PM
There was an error above that I thought I couldn't fix.....but I fixed it!

sewluvit
November 15th, 2015, 12:29 AM
I used to do lots of baking but have given it up and just do a bit just before Christmas.

sewlucky
November 15th, 2015, 12:31 AM
I don't like to bake anymore, I just eat it..

Sylvia H
November 15th, 2015, 01:09 AM
My sister is the master baker in our family. She has a wonderful tradition of baking cookies with her children. Now that they are adults, it has morphed into baking with her daughter and daughter-in-law. She has even made them aprons for the occasion. I, however, do the baking for the nut and poppy seed rolls. Although I am divorced, it is my former mother-in-laws recipe that I use! I think my ex-husband is grateful that I taught our daughter how to make them.

jjkaiser
November 15th, 2015, 01:38 AM
It is family tradition for all the girls in my family to get together and bake cookies one day for an entire day. Now our girls are grown, as are their cousins, so their children now come too. It is tiring but loads of fun with three mixers going at once and something always ready to go into or come out of the oven. We always look fwd to Cookie Day--although sometimes scheduling it is a bit of a nightmare finding a date that works for everyone. The littlest kids always get the job of frosting and decorating the sugar cookies while the grownups mix up the more complicated recipes. O e of my DD is a professional baker who of course works in a bakery. I always used to roll out and bake the sugar cookies ahead so they would be ready. Now I order plain undecorated sugar cookies from the bakery (DD discount 50%) because frankly rolling out and cutting out 8 dozen cookies is just too much for me.

kimsophia
November 15th, 2015, 03:16 AM
My cousin loves to bake. She and I baked cookies together in our teens and had such fun. She is a teacher and loves to bring cookies as gifts. The teachers' lounge is a good place to leave the results of her baking.

dwil23
November 15th, 2015, 03:31 AM
Every year I say I am going to do this. Every year I don't.

Juliet Taylor
November 15th, 2015, 07:30 AM
I try :) I love to bake, that's why I always try to manage my time between sewing and baking :D

If possible I try to make some bake goods for friends and family as gifts, especially cookies, but I would love to make some Christmas cupcakes this year! Let's see what happens :)

Bubby
November 15th, 2015, 08:33 AM
I don't bake nearly as much as I once did but I manage to bake 3 or 4 different cookies each year. Jeff has to have his chocolate covered peanuts every year. I fix a huge tray of goodies for the guys in Jeff's department at work and they love it. When I retired they made me promise to keep baking for them.

MayinJerset
November 15th, 2015, 09:58 AM
My friend George makes tons of Christmas cookies for family and friends, if you don't return the cookie tin you don't get any cookies next year.

I used to bake quite a few different cookies at Christmas time for a Cookie Exchange, gifts and ourselves but over the years the number of cookies had gone down. This year it may just be a double batch of 3 family faves, Rainbows, biscotti and chocolate chip.

The Cookie Exchange was fun as we would have snacks, apple cider and exchange a cooking/baking tree ornament as well as dozens of delicious cookies. Everyone made a different cookie and we exchanged them the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Very few made it to Christmas as I's serve some on Thanksgiving and the day after take some to my cousin Toni's annual Turkey Soup and Sandwich party. If any were left they were quickly gobbled up by DH and I. I stopped participating in the exchange a few years ago mostly because we each had to make about 15 dozen or more of our cookies and I no longer had the energy for that many.

Angelia
November 15th, 2015, 01:10 PM
I have my fruit soaking for fruitcake, and I make pumpkin bread for my son. That's about it for me.

bakermom
November 15th, 2015, 06:58 PM
I USED to bake a ton - 12or so varieties of cookies and fudge, hard candy, turtle etc. My kids would make up plates for their teachers and such. now that it's just me and DH I don't do so much. All the kids do their own baking now and are willing to share with us so.........

kimsophia
November 15th, 2015, 07:20 PM
DH makes Russian teacakes every year...I just make up the dough, which takes about two seconds, if you buy chopped pecans. He does all the shaping, baking, and rolling in powdered sugar twice. :)

SallyO'Sews
November 15th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Please let me know if you find yourself overrun with baked goods. I would be happy to take them off your hands! :icon_wave:

Elaine21
November 15th, 2015, 09:07 PM
I just finished making a list of what I usually bake each year.....30 different things. I think I will cut it down a bit this year, or possibly only make one batch of each thing. I've made up the list of ingredients I need to buy to get started......I think I'm going to have to get a job! ;)

MaryD
November 15th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Four Christmas cakes done and four to go - all pressies. That's the only baking I do now from one year's end to the other.

tamsterg7
November 15th, 2015, 11:26 PM
I do a lot, but have actually cut back some because unfortunately our family size has shrunk with the passing of many of the elders, and some of the youngers moving for jobs. It used to be a tradition for several generations of the ladies to gather and spen an entire weekend baking (good Italian tradition), and I really miss that! Not as much fun to bake alone (or drink vino alone either, lol )