PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

Bubby
November 13th, 2015, 02:11 AM
I just spent almost 5 hours backing up my laptop. It took 6 discs for the backup. The reason it takes so long is because of the number of pictures. I want to move my pictures to either a thumb drive or a disc. Then I would delete the pictures from my laptop. Is one method safer/more reliable than the other? We have photos and videos that we don't want to lose.

Thank you for any suggestions you can offer.

Hulamoon
November 13th, 2015, 02:21 AM
I used to use discs. After I got thumbs for my embroidery machine I found it easier. Discs were getting scratched and big to store for pictures. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks too.

Papa
November 13th, 2015, 02:35 AM
I don't think there is much difference between the two. I back up my computers to external hard drives on a regular basis. I have backups of my pictures on DVD's that I store in a safety deposit box and in a fireproof storage box at the house. I use Mac's myself so I am not very knowledgable about PCs. I have a friend who works at a camera store and he stores all of his photos on thumb drives. He also stores his in a safety deposit box.

bubba
November 13th, 2015, 04:37 AM
MM puts ours on an external hard drive I think. He is a guru and has things in places I don't know about. This is why I must die first.

Hulamoon
November 13th, 2015, 04:48 AM
MM puts ours on an external hard drive I think. He is a guru and has things in places I don't know about. This is why I must die first.

Well don't die before you use up all that beautiful fabric! Or move to Hawaii. :)

Sylvia H
November 13th, 2015, 06:13 AM
I had a hard time storing pictures on a thumb drive. Maybe it was the storage space available, but the thumb drive did not seem capable of storing very many pictures. When I had my MACBook, I used an external hard drive, and I really like that. Now that I am using a Chromebook, everything goes to "the cloud".

katier825
November 13th, 2015, 06:41 AM
If you have a lot, and anticipate a lot more in the future, you might want to consider an external hard drive. You can get a much larger storage space on an external hard drive than on thumb drives. They have come down quite a bit in price since I got mine several years ago. It is also less likely to get lost than a thumb drive.

quiltingtrish
November 13th, 2015, 08:30 AM
I would get hard copies of your photos that you want to keep. ANYTHING can go bad or get lost. I had an external harddrive and when my computer crashed a few years ago, evidently so did the external harddrive. Yes, I had people that know computers look at it and couldn't figure out for the life of them what happened. Then I put them in files on my computer, plus put them on a thumbdrive. All was well. Then one day something happened where I couldn't transfer them off my phone to the computer files and thumbdrive. I was sending them to my email, saving them, and putting them into the files and thumbdrive - all was great! Until that didn't work anymore. So I was told to hook the phone directly up to the computer and download them. All was great and everything transferred over to the files and thumbdrive. One day about a month later - the files were empty!! I am not kidding - empty! I still haven't found them. People say they are out there in the cloud. They are on your computer somewhere. Well, I'd like to find the person that can find them. Seems now I can get them to my email and put them in a file - sometimes they stay in the file, sometimes not for very long - so as soon as I get them on the thumbdrive, I go to the store and if they come up on the thumbdrive I print off the photos. I do have lots of photo albums but realize it's not the end of the world to not have a photo of something if it all decides not to work.
So anyway - just know - external harddrives can go bad too. I'm probably an exception (I'm special that way - haha!).

Juliet Taylor
November 13th, 2015, 09:05 AM
External hard drive! But don't ask me how big or what brand, because I let hubby take care of everything since I can't memorize technie stuff

Carlie Wolf
November 13th, 2015, 09:22 AM
At this stage I have video's and pictures on flash drives with tons of gig. I usually get the highest amt of gigs I can. Make sure you test it before you delete from your hard drive. I've gotten to the point where I have several flashdrives I use that I label. i.e. Embroidery, Crafts, Personal, Work/School. etc I use to use CD's but I'm finding they no longer always work. I forgot about external drives but they would work too. On really important stuff I have backups of my back ups LOL

Bubby
November 13th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm afraid of the Cloud so I will look into an external hard drive and some large thumbs....maybe even some DVDs. Can you tell I'm paranoid about losing my pics!

Carlie Wolf
November 13th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Buddy, I don't trust the cloud stuff either. So I don't think you're paranoid :-)

mary3100
November 13th, 2015, 10:31 AM
I use an external hard drive and set my computer to back up to that automatically. No fuss no worry.

bubba
November 13th, 2015, 06:07 PM
When my best friend and I went to NYC for our 50th birthdays, I got one of those electric frames that you put the photo card in and the picture changes every so often. The frame went bad and erased all my photos and I had no backup!!! I do not know how MM did it, but he found some program and was able to recover all the photos.....it was a miracle!

auntiemern
November 13th, 2015, 11:13 PM
I would use an online back up service. I know Dell has one that came with my computers....there are others...just need to find one you are comfortable with. Off site really is the safest way. Not that it will happen, but any disaster, flood, fire, tornado...would still cause you to lose all of your stuff.

Peggi
November 14th, 2015, 04:34 AM
Why is everyone so afraid of the cloud?

My husband and I love it. Everything we do, on every computer we own, is automatically backed up. If a computer bit the dust, all we'd have to do is get a new computer and log in to the cloud, and boom! there's all our pictures and files. Not only that, but every time we take a picture with our phones, those pictures are also immediately and automatically uploaded to the cloud. No transferring, no backups, no worries about failing drives, fires, floods, etc.

snippet
November 14th, 2015, 04:46 AM
Nothing is permanent, so the key is multiple backups. I don't like thumb drives for long term storage, they go bad faster than other media. Cloud, external hard drive, and DVD are what I do.

I know you don't like cloud but it is a good thing. I love that it is available all the time. I have my phone set up so that when I take a photo, it uploads to the cloud automatically. So if I lose my phone, I still have the photos. And backups can be automatic too if you choose to set it up that way. That's one backup done!

Wwena
November 14th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Why is everyone so afraid of the cloud?

My husband and I love it. Everything we do, on every computer we own, is automatically backed up. If a computer bit the dust, all we'd have to do is get a new computer and log in to the cloud, and boom! there's all our pictures and files. Not only that, but every time we take a picture with our phones, those pictures are also immediately and automatically uploaded to the cloud. No transferring, no backups, no worries about failing drives, fires, floods, etc.

I couldn't agree more. :)

Sheep Farmer
November 14th, 2015, 11:09 AM
We use an external drive here.
We actually have everything backed up on three drive sources just because it's convenient for us to back things up on each others' computer as well as the external drive.
We used to use discs but they can get scratched.
Storing on thumb drives is handy especially if you want to take your photos with you to perhaps show others.

SallyO'Sews
November 14th, 2015, 03:52 PM
I'm pretty much a techno-idiot. I post most of my pics (the ones worth looking at) either to FaceBook if there are people in them, and/or here if there are things I made in them. So I'm not too worried about losing stuff all together.

That said, I'm just not super comfortable with the Cloud, because I get concerned about hackers. I know it can happen on FB and even here (ducks head from flying jelly roll being hurled by Al :icon_heh: ), but the whole "trust us with ALL your information" thing just kinda' gives me the willies.

What Papa said earlier reminded me of friends of my parents 50 years ago. They took all of their home movies to the bank and put them in a safety deposit box. They explained that if the house burned to the ground, the pics of their six children were the only things that could never be replaced. (I'm guessing their grandmothers were NOT quilters. :icon_rolleyes: )