View Full Version : Dusting with Dryer Sheets!

November 10th, 2015, 02:18 AM
Have been dusting with dryer sheets and love it! Much cheaper and does a good job picking up with its static cling; doesn't leave surfaces wet, and has a nice, non-overbearing smell.

Still use Pledge or Murphy's Oil once a month for my finer wood furniture, but use the cloths in between for quick cleaning.

Just thought to post this because, yes, I just dusted off my desk and desk lamp before signing on to the forum!

Happy Dusting!

November 10th, 2015, 02:23 AM
Hmmm, thanks for the tip, I think I'll use them on my ceiling fans.

November 10th, 2015, 02:43 AM
Are they used or new? I like the idea for the ceiling fan. Thanks for that tip.

November 10th, 2015, 02:47 AM
Dusting? I think that's something my Mom used to do? LOL!!

November 10th, 2015, 03:06 AM
They are new ones.

November 10th, 2015, 03:08 AM
You know how there is a story for everything? My mom had me dust. Well I finally just had enough and said 'dust,dust,dust, all I do is dust'. Do you know how many times I heard that at family parties? :icon_heh:

Divine Daisy
November 10th, 2015, 10:14 AM
wait............we are meant to dust?

November 10th, 2015, 10:42 AM
I like the brush on my vacuum............

Sylvia H
November 10th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Great tip, but I'm just not sure I understand. Would you please come to my home and demonstrate? :lol:

November 10th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Aren't they lovely to use! And you can use them on the dry swiffer brooms too......a great way to catch all that hair that keeps falling out of my kids heads. :lol:

November 10th, 2015, 02:55 PM
I've been dusting with dryer sheets for awhile too. I buy the cheapie ones.

I've been looking on Pinterest for making floor duster cloths for my hardwood floors. If anyone has ideas for that, I'd love to hear them

November 10th, 2015, 03:07 PM
I've been dusting with dryer sheets for awhile too. I buy the cheapie ones.

I've been looking on Pinterest for making floor duster cloths for my hardwood floors. If anyone has ideas for that, I'd love to hear them

Sure just take an old bath towel and cut into strips about 6" wide and 12-15" long. Sew a couple strips together so you have kind of a thick pad going (2-3 layers should be enough) attach a few strips or tabs of iron-on velcro--I think the low side not the loopy grippy side, and it should attach right to the bottom of your swiffer mop. Check the bottom of your mop before you do the velcro so you make sure to attach the correct one to your towel. Also, if you cut up a fingertip towel instead of a bath towel it will already be the approx width, so you wont have to deal with all the loose fraying strings from cutting it up.

November 10th, 2015, 11:12 PM
Thanks for sharing this terrific idea! :icon_wave:

November 10th, 2015, 11:33 PM
They're actually pretty toxic

November 11th, 2015, 02:02 AM
My dust bunnies look so cute when they're asleep, I hate to disturb them.....

November 11th, 2015, 03:22 AM
They're actually pretty toxic

I actually do not doubt that -- so many things with chemicals are toxic these days.

I switched to DIY vinegar/blue Dawn/baking soda to clean just about everything in my house. I should probably check into Trader Joe's or other online sites for more healthy dryer sheet options.

But I try to adopt the 90% rule for my diet (vegetarian-ish) and other choices in life: use the healthiest options 90% of the time, and don't sweat it or be paranoid if the other 10% of your choices are not the best. Of course, not saying that persons that don't use dryer sheets are paranoid -- just saying that life is ironic to the point that vegans may one day die from a Buffalo stampede at a PETA convention held in Colorado.

I've had many moments when I've detoxed my pantry from one ingredient or other (usually after watching a Dr. Oz show) or went around the house and threw out EVERYTHING "Made in China" when the lead paint issue arose several years ago. Still, to this day I try to avoid buying ANYTHING "Made in China" (even though other country's items may have lead paint from the exact vendors that China uses).

November 11th, 2015, 10:33 AM
I use baby wipes to dust. It actually dries really fast. I just cleaned my laptop, remote and phone and then wiped my tv stand down.

There was an old life magazine (I think in the 70's) I saw as a kid where a family took out everything made in another counrty and it filled the whole front yard. It's a nice goal to buy all American made. I only wish.

November 11th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I use leftover batting scraps to dust. I spray with a little Endust to help trap the dust in the fibers.

November 11th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Used dryer sheets are great on cleaning eye glasses. Something about them that kind of fills in the scratches and nicks on the lenses. As far as dust goes, we live in the country, so therefore it is my "country accent" so I just leave it be. ;)