PDA

View Full Version : Update on Chuck - Post-op Brain Surgery

JCY
November 9th, 2015, 01:07 AM
Thanks for all the prayers. They weaned Chuck off the sedation & removed the ventilator today. He is awake, alert, cooperative, but somewhat confused and not neurologically normal, which is to be expected at this early stage. He gave just single word answers to questions. Tomorrow he gets a CT scan to see if the drain can be removed. He had a Speech Evaluation. He was allowed to eat a soft diet. They got him up in the chair today by using a lift.

I worked in in-patient rehabilitation for 10 years, so have worked with many brain injured patients -- whether the cause was from trauma (like a motor vehicle accident), stroke, or surgery. Neurological improvement can occur over many months, & sometimes years, but it can be a long, hard road to recovery. Chuck's tumor was in the frontal lobe, where so many vitals functions are centered. Often these patients have a significant personality change, their judgment may be altered, & decision making may be affected. We can only hope & pray for the best outcome.

Let me use this opportunity to urge folks, if you have not already done this, to put in place your Living Will, Medical Durable Power of Attorney, do a 5 Wishes document, or something to indicate your wishes in the event you no longer can make medical decisions for yourself or a loved one. Many of our stroke patients were in the 35-45 year age bracket. Most people that age aren't thinking about Living Wills or making those kinds of plans. One 40 yr. old woman had aphasia (couldn't talk) after her stroke. She had a 5 yr. old dau. & was not married to her live-in boyfriend. It's very important that you talk to your spouse, partner, loved ones, to let them know what you want. Also to designate guardians for minor children. Have you registered if you want to be an organ donor? These decisions should be made early in life before some unexpected tragedy occurs.

Keep the prayers going up for Chuck & family. Thanks!

stationarymom
November 9th, 2015, 03:10 AM
I'm glad to hear that he is making progress already.He should have a long road ahead of him ,but the family will also.I still have everyone in my prayers.Thanks for the update.

dwil23
November 9th, 2015, 03:14 AM
Sounds like things are going as well as can be expected at this point and for this I am grateful. Please keep us updated and we continue to pray for Chuck and family.

Judy, USMC
November 9th, 2015, 03:23 AM
Thanks ,JCY, for alerting everyone to the things that really, REALLY need to be addressed. I and my husband lived in denial for many years ... that is until he had his heart attack. It wasn't until he had his stent implanted that we addressed those needful things. Luckily he survived to sign all the necessary paperwork.

This is a reminder that I need to get my wishes in order too!

Bubby
November 9th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Glad to hear Chuck is awake and responsive. I will keep praying.

Monique
November 9th, 2015, 08:29 AM
I pray that Chuck continues to improve.

easyquilts
November 9th, 2015, 10:27 AM
I'm so glad Chuck is making progress... And pray that it continues... Keep us updated... Hugs...

Sandy Navas
November 9th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Proves the power of prayer. I'll continue for his recovery and daily improvement.

Have those papers all in order - and even recently updated. But, it is a good reminder for anyone who hasn't made arrangements.

Valcross
November 9th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Thank you for the update. I will continue to pray for healing.

KPH
November 9th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Praying for strength and healing. You're right, it is a long process.

Thanks for the reminder on the paperwork. We had all of mom's in order, now we need to get ours in order.

judimccl
November 9th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Will continue to say prayers for God's comfort during this time. And especially thanks for pointing out things that everyone should do to prepare.

auntiemern
November 9th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the update. The power of prayer does make miracles happen. I guess we really do need to get all of those papers done. I have very strong feelings about what I do NOT want to go through or out my family through. Need to get that taken care of.
I am so glad you pointed out all the frontal lobe issues. That is where Gabe's TBI injury was. It is the little things that you just aren't sure if that's what is causing them or not. Thanks for the info...now to do some research.