PDA

View Full Version : Remember Remember

Divine Daisy
November 4th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Remember Remember, the 5th of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot

Please remember UK people to keep your pets safe and quiet tomorrow for Bonfire Night. Bring Rabbits and Guinee Pigs indoors if you can, keep cats in and put a tight T Shirt on your dogs if you don't have a Thunder Shirt.

Be safe everyone and have fun!

K. McEuen
November 4th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Someone in my neighborhood was shooting off fireworks for Halloween, the twits. It is pretty funny though, because Bandit seems to think the house is under attack. The hair on his back stands up and he runs from door to window, growling and barking. If we let him out, he runs circles along the backyard fence in case they breach the perimeter. Now thunder is a whole different story. He firmly attaches himself to a lap and tries to hang on even if you stand up.

Sandy Navas
November 4th, 2015, 03:57 PM
● Up until 1959, it was illegal to not celebrate Bonfire Night in Britain.
● There was an exception to the law, as St Peter's School in York where Guy Fawkes attended still refuses to burn effigies of its former pupil.
● Parkin is a sticky gingerbread cake traditionally eaten on Guy Fawkes night, baked with syrup and black treacle.
● Guy Fawkes was not hung, drawn and quartered, as per the traditional death for traitors in 17th century England. As he waited for his punishment, Fawkes leapt to his death to avoid having his testicles cut off, his stomach opens and his guts removed. Instead, he died of a broken neck and his body was subsequently quartered.
● The very first fireworks display in England took place at the wedding of Henry VII in 1486.
● While the 36 barrels of gunpowder would have been enough to destroy Parliament, some still claim the gunpowder was too old and would not have properly exploded if ignited.
● Between 600CE and 900CE, Chinese alchemists accidentally stumbled upon the crude recipe for gunpowder –potassium nitrate, sulphur and charcoal. In the 1830s, Italian pyrotechnicians invented the aerial shell for fireworks and also worked out that using metallic powders could create specific colours.
● The cellar that Fawkes tried to blow up was destroyed by a fire in 1834 that also destroyed the medieval Houses of Parliament.
● Sparklers can get five times hotter than cooking oil and a rocket can reach speeds of 150mph.
● You see the explosion of a firework before hearing it because sound travels at 761mph, but light travels at 671,000,000mph.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 4th, 2015, 04:54 PM
● Up until 1959, it was illegal to not celebrate Bonfire Night in Britain.
● There was an exception to the law, as St Peter's School in York where Guy Fawkes attended still refuses to burn effigies of its former pupil.
● Parkin is a sticky gingerbread cake traditionally eaten on Guy Fawkes night, baked with syrup and black treacle.
● Guy Fawkes was not hung, drawn and quartered, as per the traditional death for traitors in 17th century England. As he waited for his punishment, Fawkes leapt to his death to avoid having his testicles cut off, his stomach opens and his guts removed. Instead, he died of a broken neck and his body was subsequently quartered.
● The very first fireworks display in England took place at the wedding of Henry VII in 1486.
● While the 36 barrels of gunpowder would have been enough to destroy Parliament, some still claim the gunpowder was too old and would not have properly exploded if ignited.
● Between 600CE and 900CE, Chinese alchemists accidentally stumbled upon the crude recipe for gunpowder –potassium nitrate, sulphur and charcoal. In the 1830s, Italian pyrotechnicians invented the aerial shell for fireworks and also worked out that using metallic powders could create specific colours.
● The cellar that Fawkes tried to blow up was destroyed by a fire in 1834 that also destroyed the medieval Houses of Parliament.
● Sparklers can get five times hotter than cooking oil and a rocket can reach speeds of 150mph.
● You see the explosion of a firework before hearing it because sound travels at 761mph, but light travels at 671,000,000mph.. Well, thank you, Funk and Wagnells! Or Encyclopedia Britanica!

snippet
November 4th, 2015, 05:08 PM
thanks, something I did not know. don't know what a thunder shirt is either

Carlie Wolf
November 4th, 2015, 05:51 PM
At times when there are loud noises like fire works and such you might want to check out the Dog Relaxation music on utube. When Carlie started to develop a fear of thunderstorms over the last year and half I started turning it on and it really works well for her. Some of them started putting her right to sleep! At first I had to give her a tranquilizer and now I no longer have to do that. Just the music.

Divine Daisy
November 4th, 2015, 06:07 PM
lol Sandy how efficient of you!

Here in the UK, we do mark November 5th pretty much whatever our politics. As a Royalist one would celebrate the failure of the plot to blow up the King as he opened Parliament. A non royalist might just enjoy the fireworks and an abolitionist might celebrate that whilst it failed it was a good try!

Most of us are just concerned for the safety of everyone. We check the bonfires before they are lit for hedgehogs and other wildlife . It is not a good time for animals.

On the 'up' side, it does mark the time when it is socially acceptable to start drinking mulled wine. Which is nice.

Divine Daisy
November 4th, 2015, 06:10 PM
A thunder shirt is a firmly fitting garment which seems to calm dog who are anxious of loud bangs such as fireworks or thunder storms

CraftHer
November 4th, 2015, 06:31 PM
I have a friend who's a pet sitter and she recommends the thunder shirt for anxious dogs.

Our Mocha (chocolate lab) is not afraid of fireworks. Our neighbors put on a pretty big show for 4th of July. Mocha was not afraid. However, he realized that when the big boom goes off, all the humans look up and away from their plates. He got a few hotdogs and some unattended dog treats.

MaryD
November 4th, 2015, 07:19 PM
I wonder if a thunder shirt would work on a cat. I have hypnotised Yuki into thinking she is a very brave cat when heavy rain falls on the roof, but it doesn't work for thunder.

lourixe
November 4th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Our Mocha (chocolate lab) is not afraid of fireworks. Our neighbors put on a pretty big show for 4th of July. Mocha was not afraid. However, he realized that when the big boom goes off, all the humans look up and away from their plates. He got a few hotdogs and some unattended dog treats.

You mean, aren't they leftovers? My oldest dog understands that any edible stuff that remains unattended for more than 10 minutes is a leftover. It is her duty to spare us the burden of disposing of it.

FabStripper
November 4th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Now thunder is a whole different story. He firmly attaches himself to a lap and tries to hang on even if you stand up.

We're going to require pictures of this! This is so funny I spit my tea at my screen. Lol.

Midge
November 4th, 2015, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=snippet;814255 don't know what a thunder shirt is either[/QUOTE]

A Thundershirt is a tight garment that goes around a dog's body when the dog is expected to be in a situation that causes fright or high anxiety. Many dogs are comforted by the tight garment. Think of swaddling a newborn - same principle. Doesn't work for all dogs, but it does work for many.

Divine Daisy
November 4th, 2015, 09:49 PM
I wonder if a thunder shirt would work on a cat. I have hypnotised Yuki into thinking she is a very brave cat when heavy rain falls on the roof, but it doesn't work for thunder.

They do Mary. I put a 9 month baby vest on Seamus. Works a treat

Sandy Navas
November 4th, 2015, 10:07 PM
lol Sandy how efficient of you!

Here in the UK, we do mark November 5th pretty much whatever our politics. As a Royalist one would celebrate the failure of the plot to blow up the King as he opened Parliament. A non royalist might just enjoy the fireworks and an abolitionist might celebrate that whilst it failed it was a good try!

Most of us are just concerned for the safety of everyone. We check the bonfires before they are lit for hedgehogs and other wildlife . It is not a good time for animals.

On the 'up' side, it does mark the time when it is socially acceptable to start drinking mulled wine. Which is nice.

Heading your way if you have some mulled wine. I'm a bit thirsty!!