PDA

View Full Version : To all the grandma's out there who are who have been and who shall be

Kizzie
November 6th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Today it has been 18yrs since my Bramma (grandma) left me when I was 6 yrs old, they say god must have run out of angels and he took her so young at the age of 63.

My grandma was a special lady who did alot of community work, she petitioned for a crossing near a school and won, opened up a community centre so there was a palce for children and teenagers to go, organised childrens discos on a sat night and raised 5 beautiful kids, in return there are now 11 grandchildren and I'm the first my sister and I were the only ones who got to meet her and spend precious memories with her....

I was younger than six and I remember sooo many precious memories, going to the garden where she had an orchard of 6 apple trees and a bathtub full of strawberrys then picking some strawberrys and going inside to have them dipped in white sugar with a glass of milk and a tsp of sugar stirred in!

or when we would stay there for dinner and she would serve my sister an dI spaghetti bolognaise in her silver set with silver plates and goblets of ribena!

I just wanted to share with you that as a grand daughter... we remember things! to all you grandmothers out there those fishing trips, the arts and crafts, to baking cakes and licking the spoons and bowls, or having popcorn on the couch with a good movie on when its pouring rain outside, or the walks to the park on a sunny day...

We remember and we truly do appreciate it. Its always a special time when we go visit Grandma!!!

If I could I'd adopt all the grandmas in the worlds and the grandpas too! :)

mitzs
November 6th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Kizzie, as a youngish grandma, I just have to say that I just adore you hun and think you are one of the sweetest people I have met. You honor your grandmother deeply here and I am sure she is looking down and smiling with so love for all of you too. Hugs

Bubby
November 6th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I'm lucky enough to be a grandma of two...ages 17 and 20. I was blessed to still have my Grandma until I became a grandma. She was the single most influential person in my life...she and my Dad. When I lost my Grandma at age 90 I felt like I lost my world. And Kizzie you are so correct that it's the little things done with grandmas that last a lifetime. I still miss my Grandma every day of my life...my little Irish grandma I called Nan. Thanks for sharing....Barb

sewmuchjan
November 6th, 2011, 08:31 PM
OK now you have gone and done it!!! Made me get all teary eyed thinking of my Grandma's and now of my Grand kids and Great Granddaughter!!!! I hope that I can become a special Grandma to them as mine were to me and my Grandpa tooo!!! :icon_hug:
You are so sweet and that Lil One tooo bug hugs two the both of you!!! :icon_hug:

Can someone pass me a tissue???? :icon_sniff:

God Bless
love and hugs
Jan G

Loonwatcher
November 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Very sweet sentiments. And thank you for reminding me of my grammy and grampy too.

MRoy
November 6th, 2011, 09:30 PM
My grandparents all passed away before I was born so I never had the opportunity to share experiences with a grandmother. But I'm enjoying every moment that I spend with my grandson (11) and granddaughter (8). Your little doll Tilly has a great mom and I'm sure there are many here who'd be willing to be surrogate grannies to her.

Sandy Navas
November 6th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Jan, would you quilt hogging the tissues?

My grandmother on my mother's side passed several years before I was born. I do, however remember Grandpa - and loved spending time with him. He even stayed with us one summer and painted our house outside. Once we even went on a trip to Florida with him - great fun. On my father's side I knew both grandparents. They were definitely the Jack Sprat and his wife - grandpa was long and talk and lean and had a very quiet, mild-mannered calm that was infectious. Grandma, on the other hand, was short and very rotund - probably more around than tall - and had a temper that would not stop. We all laugh that we got our stubborn attitudes from her. Grandpa would disappear for long periods of time - of course Dad always knew where he was - and then Grandma would get in touch with Dad and ask him to hunt Grandpa down and bring him home. No, he didn't go out on a spree - he'd just had enough of Grandma's attitude and needed some peace and quiet. I have vague memories of either one though because I didn't get to spend a lot of time with them. Dad was of the old school that we were his kids and it was his responsibility to take care of us - so no overnights with grandparents, no afternoons spent while Mom and Dad did their thing . . .

Most of my granddaughters were born after my mother had to be placed in the nursing home so they don't remember how great grandma is great - but they still love to go visit her and she loves seeing them although she has no idea who they are. That gives me joy!

Genny
November 7th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I'm a mother of 2 girls, a grandmother of 2 girls and a great grandmother of 2 more little girls and I love being a grandmother!!! I grew up without any grandparents, they had all passed before I met any of them, and I know that I missed so very much.

quilter.martha
November 7th, 2011, 09:00 AM
kizzie, such great memories! How I wish I had some of those to cling to. I was the last of the grandchildren so by the time I came along my grandparents were getting pretty old. The first died when I was 4. The only memory I have surrounding her was being in the car after going to the hospital for my dad to see her before she died. 3 out of 4 of them died from cancer, so they were pretty sickly and not well enough for any one-on-one time with us.

Everyone, no matter if you're a grandmother or just a mother, make time to have those special moments with your kids. It's not THINGS that matter, its LOVE that matters, and our kids are the most important gift we'll ever have. Make each day special.

Kizzie
November 7th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks ladies I'm so glad you have all been able to have that moment to think back and remember or look forward to creating new memories!

Big hugs to you all you are all fabulous women! Finding out today too that my step-dad - who is a better father than my biological father was has leukemia has really put alot of things into perspective too Time is sooo precious xxx

SuziC
November 7th, 2011, 10:01 AM
What a Beautiful reminder. I was the last born in my family so i never had Grandparents, they were gone before i was born. Now that i am one myself, it means the absolute WORLD to me to spend time with them and create the fun memories for them to hold on to. I am fortunate that i take care of them during the week and get to see all the new "firsts" that happen in their lives. We LOVE being Gramma and Papa to our little ones. They are a part of our daily lives and i wouldn't give that up for all the money in the world.

bobw103
November 7th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Oh Kizzie what a wonderful post with great memories. I too have many memories of spending time with my grandparents and just this past weekend was able to make memories with my grand daughters (three and 15 months). My three year old slept with me in the spare bedroom which reminded me of the times that I spent nights with my grandparents sharing the bed with grandma as we layed back to back eating saltine crackers (yep in bed). My grandpa, who slept in the next bedroom, would give us grief for eating crackers in bed. Great memories and I hope that my two girls will remember the times spent with us as fondly.

Sandy Navas
November 7th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks ladies I'm so glad you have all been able to have that moment to think back and remember or look forward to creating new memories!

Big hugs to you all you are all fabulous women! Finding out today too that my step-dad - who is a better father than my biological father was has leukemia has really put alot of things into perspective too Time is sooo precious xxx

Kizzie, I have no idea how old your step-father is; however, my FIL was diagnosed with leukemia and he's in his 80's. His physician told him that he just had to watch it - however he would pass away from his old age before the leukemia. Evidently in older people it is not as serious as it is in the young. Someone who knows more about this may chime in and correct me . . . because other than that I have no experience with the disease.

Luvngrammy
November 7th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Kizzie,
This just brought tears to my eyes..I am a grandma 4 times now with 2 more on the way! I am only 51 and have lots more Grandma years ahead of me I pray..but the reason for the tears is that for two of these precious ones 3yr and 16mos old..My hubby have raised them for the past 15mos. They went home to their parents a few weeks ago and now I just sit here and wander and pray that they will be able to remember the times they have spent with us. Thank you so much for sharing your kind thoughts and it sounds like you had a wonderful Grandma!
Linda

meemeecyn
November 8th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Thank you for the reminder, Kizzie. I have two special grandgirls and have vowed I will not say no unless it is a matter of their safety. Our job is to spoil with love!!!! I have such loving memories of my paternal Grammie. Not so for my maternal Grandmother (and yes, we had to call her GRANDMOTHER....what a mouthful for a little kid). My Mom died 10 years ago on the same day (Nov 5) and am hoping that her grandchildren would be as eloquent as sharing memories with such a special connection as you did about yours. Bless you, Kizzie. You are amazing.
Cynthia

K. McEuen
November 8th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Kizzie, I have no idea how old your step-father is; however, my FIL was diagnosed with leukemia and he's in his 80's. His physician told him that he just had to watch it - however he would pass away from his old age before the leukemia. Evidently in older people it is not as serious as it is in the young. Someone who knows more about this may chime in and correct me . . . because other than that I have no experience with the disease.

Wouldn't you know it would be me?

My dad developed leukemia when he was 84. It all depends on which one it is. There are 3 (main) different kinds, with all sorts of little variations. It's true, a lot of elderly people develop leukemia, probably even more than we know because at an advanced age you tend to tire easily, which is one of the main symptoms of leukemia. Too many white blood cells choking out the red ones that carry oxygen to the body leads to shortness of breath, anemia, sometimes headaches, etc.

That said, my dad had the same as Kizzie's step-dad. When first diagnosed he spent a couple days in the hospital getting started on meds to help his body get rid of the excess and dead white cells. There was a guy about 45 in the room with him with the same type. He was going through aggressive treatment for his. He still had fairly young kids at home, a wife, etc. Plus at his age his body was able to tolerate the treatment a lot better than my dad would have. Dad decided not to go through all the treatments. He was 84, he was aiming more for the quality of life rather than the quantity. I'm sure after watching my mom deal with chemo for almost 2 years before she got tired of it, helped him make that decision. I honestly don't blame him, because going through all the chemo and other stuff, they may have been able to give him a couple years. He did really well though. Diagnosed the middle of June, I wasn't able to go to Texas right away to see him and told him he better not die before I could get out there. He laughed and told me not to worry. I made it out the beginning of August. He was doing fine, but within a couple days of me being there he started really slowing down. It seems he really listened to what I told him. I stayed in Texas with him until he died, August 26, 2 days after what would have been my parents 60th anniversary.

Kizzie, your step-dad is a lot younger and should respond to the treatment a lot easier. He's got a lot of life ahead of him and the best thing you can do is help him keep a positive attitude, which isn't easy during treatment, but it seems to make a huge difference in the outcome. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.