PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Hoots

kimsophia
November 2nd, 2015, 03:51 AM
Hootie hoo! How are you?

I am trying to find some binding that I made for my last quilt and folded up neatly...and lost, apparently!

What's up with you all? @,@

toggpine
November 2nd, 2015, 04:18 AM
I spent three hours spraying the pastures for cutworms/army worms! They have decimated our pastures in about three days. We have never had anything like this. I had to Google what they were. We decided to spray. Neither one of us were very happy about that choice, but we couldn't let them continue to strip the winter grasses. What is worse, is they are about to head into their next phase and start the cycle all over. We tried to let the birds do as much damage as they could, but there were just too many!
I had to wait until the crawlies came out, which was after dark. If you ever have to spray at night, use the glow in the dark bracelets to mark where you have already been. I did try to mix the glow juice into the spray, but it was going to need a lot more than just what the bracelets were going to provide. Ugh! It was like walking on bubble wrap out there! Icky!
Now I'm waiting for the Advil to kick in so I can tuck in the nest.
I certainly hope you all had a less creepy-crawly night!

Granny Judy
November 2nd, 2015, 05:33 AM
I can't say we ever had that many bugs to warrant a night spray... but I've been away from the farm for over 11 years now. Sure hope you can get them exterminated with this one spraying.

Kim, did you ever find that binding?? I thought I was the only one who lost it. My oldest DD taught me to keep everything together til the quilt was totally finished.. now I have bags of items left over from each quilt. I guess I should incorporate it back into my stash..??
Maybe tomorrow. I am trying very hard to get a quilt done so It can be given this year for Christmas ... I'm still trying to figure out what quilt pattern I want on it. I saw a lot of finishes at this years quilt show and am wondering if I am up to doing some of them.. Each block had it's special pattern..

I'm not that good, so maybe I could just repeat and make each block the same. Time to draw out a plan/pattern and print it so I can sew on the paper pattern, then rip it off. Sure wish I could afford that quilting machine I saw at the show... 10K is just a tad bit over my budget tho.. LOL

kimsophia
November 2nd, 2015, 05:44 AM
I did find the binding, thanks, but it wasn't wrapped up neatly as I remembered. That was what it was like after I was done with the quilt, BUT I had forgotten that I'd taken it back out, cut it in half LENGTHWISE, ironed that, and draped it over a chair that then had four more layers draped over it in the weeks since then... :P Since then I have dropped two needles which needed finding with a flashlight and emptying of the thread garbage sack. But they were found. Now I'm totally worn out and I don't even have one armpit with the binding sewn on...ack. Perhaps this is God's way of telling me to finish it tomorrow when I'm not frazzled.

Granny Judy
November 2nd, 2015, 05:58 AM
Kim, I think that may be the best idea you've had tonight....

I'm thinking the same thing... Things may go better if I get a good nights rest. But FIRST I found this book of patterns!! LOL

kimsophia
November 2nd, 2015, 06:02 AM
A pattern book? I've only seen those at....you aren't at Jo-Ann's, are you? lolol

Granny Judy
November 2nd, 2015, 06:11 AM
Nope,,,, I don't go to JoAnn's.. It was in my bookcase under the tv. I forgot I had it.. I got it from "?" at the I don't want it, group a few months back.

It was a Squirrel moment when I shut off the tv set. LOL

SewnByBee
November 2nd, 2015, 07:30 AM
Hi there, knight owl friends,
I despise lthem o cutworms/ bugs too.
Were not on a farm, but we built our house on land
that was farmed, so there were LOTS of fire ants and I seen a COW ant, OMG, holy cow ant, that thing was
like the dinasore of the ant world and we sprayed and put down granulantes to get down in the soil to rid of said critters.
I hate Bugs, the only bug allowed round here is (my daughter, we lovingly call tater bugg) .
We have pastures on two sides of us, so they spray so, they can bail hay for their cow's
(our neighbor's) the cow's. Lol, they're fine, as long as they don't drink out of My Pool.😤. No,no, & no !!!
Have a blessed day, good to see ya on tonight/ today, you know.

SewnByBee
November 2nd, 2015, 07:35 AM
A pattern book? I've only seen those at....you aren't at Jo-Ann's, are you? lolol

We have just found a JoeAnns near us, What pattern book have you found there? I like them.

SewnByBee
November 2nd, 2015, 07:37 AM
Kim, I think that may be the best idea you've had tonight....

I'm thinking the same thing... Things may go better if I get a good nights rest. But FIRST I found this book of patterns!! LOL

Pattern Book ?

Carol336
November 2nd, 2015, 07:57 AM
Good morning Hoot Owls.....I hope by now you are all fast asleep....and not dreaming of worms or bugs of any kind!!!

I actually slept in this am - 5:15 (which would have been 6:15 two days ago). I seem to be able to fall asleep just fine and dandy, but staying asleep is a whole other thing.

I think I'm gonna take my quilt/wall hanging to my LQS today to see about long arming it. I'm just not to the fmq stage yet and since this is my first quilt and is going on the wall, I figure I need a professional finish to hopefully hide a few of my boo boos. Ya wouldn't be able to see them galloping by on a horse, but some still need a little camoflaging - if you know what I mean.

judimccl
November 2nd, 2015, 12:01 PM
Yuck - what an awful lot of work! Hopefully your hard work will pay off and you will get rid of them. :icon_wave:

toggpine
November 2nd, 2015, 02:32 PM
The good news is that the night spray seems to have worked. I may have to re-spray part of one field, as there weren't as many dead ones in that area. It was the section I started spraying in, and it wasn't full dark when we began. My bigger concern is that they may have been the first ones out and they may have headed in to the cocoon stage. They are just icky!

I get to play in my sewing space today! Yea!

kimsophia
November 3rd, 2015, 12:12 AM
Pattern Book ?

I'm not sure, but I think she means those oversized books with photos or drawings of the clothes you can make from the patterns of Simplicity, Butterick, Vogue, etc... Usually they are at a table with chairs and you can leaf through them at Jo-Ann's and other stores that sell those brands of patterns.

You can go to JoAnn.com and sign up to get free coupons for their stuff, up to 60% of or print them out off of their web site...they are like Kohl's and other stores that rely on coupons to keep things moving.