PDA

View Full Version : My trip to the Houston Quilt Festival

snippet
November 2nd, 2015, 02:19 AM
This was my second trip to the festival so I knew how much walking was involved, but it was bigger than last year! I couldn't believe it. My sister and I went with a bunch of quilters on a bus trip and spent 2 days there.

The quilts in the show were amazing. There were many exhibits I found interesting and a few I sped through because they weren't my style. Victoria Findlay Wolfe did an exhibit on Double Wedding Rings and had some pretty quilts. There was a pretty exhibit called The Shower Tree (or something like that) with big quilts of a park with beautiful flowers in a tree. The quilts were the same pattern with small differences. There was a really cool placemat exhibit of food. Each placemat was a depiction of real food. Very creative and fun. Another exhibit was entirely of butterflies and one was landscapes.

Of course the winning quilts were jaw dropping. The people's choice award went to a beautiful large quilt and it was her FIRST quilt ever made! I couldn't believe it when I read it on the placard, and she explained how it was true. Just amazing.

Jenny wasn't at the MSQC booth when I stopped by, but I did hug Jean and BJ. The booth was hopping busy, so I left them to meet and spread the love with others.

While I was sitting in the quilt section, a lady came by and gave me a bookmark. We talked for a bit and I realized she has two books about organization and sewing. And I have one of them! She really brightened and we talked more. Very nice lady.

I bought some batik fat quarters, a few packs of fabric (5 1 yard cuts for $20), some hand embroidery patterns, a pattern for a tool bag, Soft & Stable, a nifty Clover needle holder that holds threaded needles without tangling the thread, and a CurveMaster presser foot.

The lady who came up with the CurveMaster foot was doing demos and it was awesome! No pinning, no marking the middle, etc - just line up the beginning and it stitches perfect. Since I'm thinking about making a double wedding ring, this foot will really come in handy.

Oh I bought a Brother ScanNCut 2 also! It was $50 off. I can't wait to try it.

I know I'm forgetting more that I bought, but it's late and I'm tired. Just like last year though, I didn't see it all and I busted my budget.

Vonnie
November 2nd, 2015, 04:51 AM
Sounds wonderful!

Jean Sewing Machine
November 2nd, 2015, 08:05 AM
What a great description of what you experienced! Just like being there in person, but no sore feet or busted budget! Sounds like a great experience! I bought that curveMaster foot while in Paducah, and thought it was amazing! Have I used it since? Don't ask!

pcbatiks
November 2nd, 2015, 11:17 AM
It sounds like you had a great time & saw some beautiful quilts! Wish I could have gone......maybe next year.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! :)

Altairss
November 2nd, 2015, 12:12 PM
Oh what fun thanks for your breakdown it was almost like being there.

AnnieF
November 2nd, 2015, 01:25 PM
I'm jealous! My mom and I had planned to drive in from Austin but she was concerned about the weather so we decided to cancel. I ended up enjoying my no-plans weekend, but I was sorry to miss the show. Saved some money, though.... :)

I'm glad you had fun!

Lori63
November 2nd, 2015, 02:25 PM
Sounds like you had a great time! I definitely need to plan to go one of these years.

Midge
November 2nd, 2015, 04:13 PM
It sounds like a wonderful trip. Thanks so much for sharing your impressions so we can all imagine the fun. The galleries of those fabulous quilts must be an overwhelming sight. You have me very intrigued. I'm going to try to find a photo on the web of the people's choice winner. Do post about learning to use your Brother Scan and Cut. That is one cutter I could see myself purchasing. Would love to get your impressions.

dwil23
November 2nd, 2015, 07:38 PM
That sounds like so much fun!

auntiemern
November 2nd, 2015, 10:30 PM
Sound like you had a wonderful time.

Nidan_07
November 2nd, 2015, 10:58 PM
Sounds like you had a great time. I would love to get to the festival some time.

snippet
November 3rd, 2015, 03:24 AM
[QUOTE=Midge;813262You have me very intrigued. I'm going to try to find a photo on the web of the people's choice winner. [/QUOTE]
I uploaded the photos I took. Here's that winner.
I created a photo album with some other photos. My battery died on me the first day so I couldn't take any then. But I remember to take a few the next day.

Judy, USMC
November 4th, 2015, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the post - sounds like you had a great time - and got some great bargains while you were at it - good for you!